Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Life without the VIN rule

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    My viewpoint is an interpretation of the rules. I don't believe you can remove something that is essentially part of the chassis even if it acts as a 'bracket'.
    I hear ya. In regards to the sunroof, and completely separate from the VIN rule "problems", there's two issues here.

One, the "replacement skin" notation I think most of us agree on (Christian's and others' dissent noted): you can replace the entire top "skin" of the roof on a sunroof-equipped car, as long as it's only the sheet metal skin.

Two, the sunroof "components" issue, however, bears more dissent among the group: personally, I've been convinced via this topic that any part on the car that is unique to the sunroof-equipped car - including bracketry, bolted or welded - can be removed under the "components" notation* without resorting to intorturation. That does not, however, give the builder the option of ADDING non-sunroof components to the car and converting it into a true non-sunroof car (unless the non-sunroof car is also listed same-line.)

On the latter point, I hear the dissent, but I suggest it's not only supportable in a protest situation, but also within the spirit of the rules**. Components is components, no matter how they attach. - GA

* The 'components' notation reads "Components (motors, cables, rails) may be removed...". It's clear that the listing of those specific items is an "e.g." or "for example", versus a limitation to just those items. If the intent were to limit it to just those items then there would be no need to write it as it was; they'd have simply written "Motors, cables, rails may be removed...".

**I see the "spirit" of the rules as intending to allow a sunroof-equipped car to be as close to the non-sunroof version as reasonably and economically possible, especially given "back then" there were situations where you could not - or didn't want to - use a non-sunroof chassis for the build, but didn't want the performance disadvantage and needed the additional safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    The allowance is to put a plug into the hole left by the sunroof OR run a skin over the hole. .

Christian

really were do you get the "over" part

"All sunroofs may be replaced with (either):
    1. (a) panel or
    2. (a) replacement skin"

does the GCR define "replace"

to me replace means, remove and put something new in the place of what you removed."

Wow... my head hurts. I am just adding to already long thread. IT = cheap + easy + flexible?
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    Wow... my head hurts.
    Sausage-makin' ain't easy or purdy, friend. Sometimes it's just better just to walk up to the meat counter, pick your favorite and take it home, pretending it grows on trees...

Gosh darn it! Can't I have the simply sausage? The "allow non-sunroof and sunroof chassis swaps as long as everything is identical" sausage would do just fine. I can't wait for April!
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

turkey, chicken, pork, or game sausage?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie