Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Life without the VIN rule

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    same brakes and same wheel size.
    Hey Rob,

The 323i has 286mm front brakes, the 328i has 300mm front brakes.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I know of a few ITC CRX that will be making the FI Si swap to B. My Civic Std ITC car will eventually become a ITB Civic, just have stop spending the money on the A car.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Everyone getting off the ITC bus? UNINTENDED - eh Kirk?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Only one of ours is going to become a B car, so we'll have an A, B, C. B may not be ready this season.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Definitely not unforeseen.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    Definitely not unforeseen.
    If anything I believe this is/could be the best thing for those few ITC racers left who no longer have anyone to run with. Now they can make a "change" and at least not be stuck with a worthless car that no one wants.
    Jeremy Billiel

ITC was a dead-man walking w/o the VIN rule. No new cars being classified except for fat VWs. No new cars being built for the US market that it makes sense to turn into an IT car. Heck, you can almost buy a ready to race ITB car for what the shell of the VW costs. 25+ year-old cars requiring body parts... I know of a couple of C cars that got parked because the last set of clean body panels were on the car.

With the VIN rule going away, there at least will be a few survivors that get the Jesus treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    I know of a few ITC CRX that will be making the FI Si swap to B. My Civic Std ITC car will eventually become a ITB Civic, just have stop spending the money on the A car.
    I'll probably make the swap to ITB with my CRX as well. Tired of fooling with weber carbs. How competitive is the 1st gen CRX in ITB?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    If anything I believe this is/could be the best thing for those few ITC racers left who no longer have anyone to run with. Now they can make a "change" and at least not be stuck with a worthless car that no one wants.
    ITC => Spec X 1/9
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by CDS View Post
    I'll probably make the swap to ITB with my CRX as well. Tired of fooling with weber carbs. How competitive is the 1st gen CRX in ITB?
    I know when they were in ITA I saw a few make a fair showing. In today's ITA they would get their ass handed to them. I'm surprised actually that no one has built and run a no holds barred ITB Si yet. I'm sure one of them next year should make a decent showing.

CRX Si is basically the same car as the Civic Si, there's at least one of those in the norteast that is very competitive in ITB. The car that we're VINing to B is a Civic.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

I'm sure a few ITC rabbits will be jumping to 1.8's and heading for B as well.
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

That was actually one of the desires people were expressing when we first started talking about it, to do exactly what we're seeing the Honda guys do. So, no - not unintended at all.

That said, I've long been an advocate for proactively listing some new ITC blood...

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    That was actually one of the desires people were expressing when we first started talking about it, to do exactly what we're seeing the Honda guys do. So, no - not unintended at all.

That said, I've long been an advocate for proactively listing some new ITC blood...

K
    Trouble is the blood bank has little to no C blood that is desirable...
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-06-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Since VW didn't make a GLI with a 1.8 until 84 I won't be able to take advantage of this rule. Correct?
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

This is a bit of thread highjack, but this thread is already poluted.

Seems that the VIN rule is getting us closer to dual classification. If the VIN rule appears to be a good thing, why not re-open the dual classification can of worms?

Take Rob's request to toggle his BMW back & forth. As an ITS car running in ITR he is at a known disadvantage for HP & brakes. As Andy said, he'll beat some, not all and anyone who protests him is doing so out on the weenie card. The advantage is more entries and cars that can run in more classes, therefore making the car more appealing. I'm not proposing cars to run down a class, just up. More cars in a race is a good thing, otherwise we're just doing time trials.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post

K
    The additions to ITB yes, but the 'shrinkage' of ITC? Did we just kill it?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    Seems that the VIN rule is getting us closer to dual classification. If the VIN rule appears to be a good thing, why not re-open the dual classification can of worms?
    No way, I (still) say.

On the one hand, I hear IT drivers arguing against including SMs and V8 in IT because "they already have a place to play." So apparently one place to play is enough. But then they want their own cars to have two places to play, just in IT? Can't have it both ways.

One listing is enough for every car in IT. If a REGION wants to get additional race entries, actively encourage drivers to double-enter in ITE or another class they create. That's what we do here in SFR and it works great. Lots of people take advantage. We have ITX, which includes anything that's ever been classed in SS (allowing IT suspension mods), plus SM, ITA, ITB, and ITC cars. And then for ITS and ITR cars, they are encouraged to dual-enter in ITE.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post

My car already is?
    Mike Uhlinger

Quote Originally Posted by jay05 View Post
    Since VW didn't make a GLI with a 1.8 until 84 I won't be able to take advantage of this rule. Correct?
    If you can build an EXACT replica of the "target" car with what you have, you're good to go. I know I'm not answering your specific question but it's because I don't know my Jetti well enough to be able to say for sure what differences might exist...

And "what Andy said" about the dual classification question. If a region wants more entries, there are all kinds of options available.

K
    Last edited by Knestis; 01-06-2009 at 09:41 AM.