Thread: Data Aquisition - What do you use?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I run a DL1. Main reason is people I know with similar cars are running it. This makes it nice to share data and learn from each other.

I also like the external inputs, though atm I am only logging RPM, TPS and Brake from the ECU.
    Last edited by SPiFF; 01-01-2009 at 01:51 PM.

After working with a few different systems; The most usefull data is speed and throttle setting,interfaced with time and video. This gives you valid turning points in relation to actual speed and throttle position. Steering wheel value is also a speed increaser. If the driver is adding wheel as he approaches the apex, etc.
    Also; I have found a lot of info, just watching the steering wheel angle values. Lots of drivers cant tell me what the car is doing, push/loose whaterver.
    The video, pointed at the steering wheel and tach can be as useful as any basic system,IMHO. Add a full throttle dash light, along with a brake light for a lot of referance values, very cost effective.
    The trackmate needs another car to go faster. But has alot of Data.
    There is a Vortex discussion on this also,under road racing.
    Mike Ogren
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Video showing good apexes and turn in points is still the most usefull data.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Video showing good apexes and turn in points is still the most usefull data.
    MM
    I agree. But the problem is most in-car video doesn't catch how close you are to hitting the right spot. It may look like you're apexing at the right spot but in reality you may be several feet (or more) off the apex. The best video is from a car behind you.

Also, watching what the hands are doing on the wheel is helpful too.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

For an NER guy, it's DL1

I got an AIM MXL system in the early days, I like it, and it's very useful, but, it would be more useful if I had other cars to compare to.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Jake - if you'd like to compare AIM data, drop me a line... I know we've at least got decent overlap at Mid-O and Atlanta...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Cool

I've been researching these things for years, and this thread got me going again. I looked in detail at AIM, Race pack and Race technologies. Seems there are still major pros and cons to each, so your particular mission requirements matter ALOT. For me, I want Digital video overlay, and would like a dash too (but don't have to have one) - all in one box if I could get it, but nobody does. Aim DaVid is the best video, but its analog and combined with so-so data logger and no availability of a "dummy" type dash display to show the driver (aim seems to be behind the times on memory and channels - you can tell its the oldest design). Race Technologies is coming out with a new digital video module, but you have to have that + their data logger + a separate display to get it all-Ick. Racepack seems to have the best built in dash/datalogger, but its sensors are expensive, and they have no integrated video option at all. Looks like nobody is there yet. Some years ago, I built my own analog video overlay datalogger (data only stored right in the video), and put the circuit right inside a recorder, but didn't know how to do digital video then (chips have come a long way since then though). Hmm.. Maybe time to update my own system

Really get whatever most people you run with, that are willing to share, run.

It is really good to be able to compare data, and have some one else or a pool of people to ask for help.

I love the AIM system, but the software leaves some to be desired compared to EFI or Motec, but I like the AIM software better then anything else. Plus 99% of people in my region run AIM

oo GPS is a nice additional feature but the stuff in the DA systems isn't very accurate.

Another plus for AIM, EFI, and Motec

NER Guys -- I would love to see some data from the DL1. I downloaded the software and would like to give it a look with real data. If anyone can email me some data I would greatly appreciate it. (preferably NHMS since I run there most often or LRP) email to anthonynarrc at aol dot com.

Jeff - that 1:15. lap at NHMS would definately be interesting to see. Like, did you just go straight over the hill at Turn 3... waved to the emergency guys and came out at the bird house? LOL
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post
    Jeff - that 1:15. lap at NHMS would definately be interesting to see. Like, did you just go straight over the hill at Turn 3... waved to the emergency guys and came out at the bird house? LOL
    Thank god I had proof and witnesses because I couldn't believe it myself!! :eek:

PM me your e-mail.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place