Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Data Aquisition - What do you use?

Anthony,
    1 - depends upon the size of the memory card you get. If you get a reasonable card size, you can store many sessions on it (sprint races).

I have one card that I'll use throughout the weekend. I've downloaded various sessions to look at them (still working on what I'm looking at) but haven't removed them from the card until after the weekend or sometimes multiple weekends. There's really no need to have two cards unless you're sharing it with someone else.

3 - not sure how long exactly, but it's very quick. Kinda like downloading some pictures onto your computer.

Figuring out how to use the software is pretty easy. That much I picked up on quickly. Since you like the data aspect (that's where I'm pretty clueless right now), you'd have no problems with it.

The only thing I don't like about the DL1 / DASH2 combo is it doesn't have a lap counter. Since often times tracks don't display this info. and haven't had radio communication, I sure wish it did.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the DL1 / DASH2 combo is it doesn't have a lap counter.
    Not true, dood. RTFM...

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post
    1 - Do you have to download the data after each session? (ie does it record over a previous session?)

2 - Do people just use a couple of CF cards for data collection to keep sessions separate?

3 - How long does it take to download the data to a laptop?

4 - Jeremy notes in his information that GPS shift makes it difficult to compare "lines" from one day to another. That I can understand. Does that also include acceleration and braking points?

1- It wil create a new file everytime you turn it back on. You can fit many, MANY sessions on one card. Greg has programmed my card to turn the DL-1 on automatically when I hit 30 MPH because it's too easy to forget to turn it on. The run ends when you turn it off
    2- See above. Not necessary. I'll usually save them to my lap top just as a back up.
    3- 2 minutes??
    4- No, you will still see your braking points, acceleration, etc and will be comprable to previous weekends. Plus, you can hook the inputs up to your brakes and TPS to tell you exactely when and how much.

Anthony, you'll have plenty of guys to compare data to if you get the DL-1. If you want, I can send you my file from my 1:15.0 lap at NHMS!!
    Last edited by JLawton; 01-07-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I have read the DASH2 manual and still don't see how to set it up to display the lap number. I just down loaded it again to see if there was an update and still can't find it. Trust me, I'd love to be wrong here. Could one of you either tell me where it's in the manual or tell me how to get it to display?
    Dave Gran

Dave-

Make sure you have the latest firmware for the Dash and also for the DL-1 from R-T (or Jeremy, or Greg). Also, get the latest version of the software from R-T's website. There were some updates to both this fall that both fixed a number of issues w/ lap timing and added some new features as well. With the new firmwares loaded and a config file generated by the latest Dash Config software, you will get a lap count where vehicle speed used to be displayed.

I don't think and documentation has this.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

For those of you planning on getting a data logger or especially DL1, do yourself a favor and go to race-technology.com and you can download the complete software for free. Get someone to email you a data file(preferably of a track you know) and just start playing around with it, it can do a million things more than you think it can, at least it was like that for me.

With the Dash 3 you can go and design what you want to be displayed via clicking and dragging boxes similar to laying out a flyer in Microsoft Publisher. For example I have it that is displays:
    * the lap time of the lap I just completed
    * the +/- difference from my best lap
    * lap counter

tried to do sector times but I messed up when I set it up(have only used it for one weekend)

on the Dash3 you have about 4 or 5 different screens you can scroll through and can also customize. You can basically have any variable that the DL1 logs and have it displayed on the Dash3, so I am assuming the Dash2 is the same but even better since you have a much bigger screen, hopefully someone who has one can confirm that.

I love my DL1 and wish I had gotten it long time ago. :026:

Sweet! Thanks Greg & Gregg.
    Dave Gran

I started playing with the software for the DL1 and a couple files. I have to say, with the quick start Jeremy provides, I got started and found that I had to go home, I was late. Once you start rolling it's amazing and you loss track of time. My DL1 will be here today and my DASH3 will be ordered probably tonight. I will definitely be asking some people some questions and want some coaching as I'm sure there is A LOT I can still do that I'm not yet. I'm REALLY excited to get my own overlays to start playing with.

BTW, I'm a computer geek by trade and can see where it can be confusing, but I like it.

NOTE:
    You have to ask for it, but until the 11th all DASH3 Fulls are on sale for the DASH3 Lite price. I "think" that includes the bundles too. If your on the fence......
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Dave, you have the latest DASH-2 firmware. As we developed new versions correcting issues we found on the Koni Challenge team I updated yours whenever it was in the shop. I don't recall if I uploaded the latest DL-1 firmware, but I certainly can...

Also, ensure you've got the latest manual for the DASH-2. There's actually two conflicting versions. The one I have is "DASH2 instruction manual v300.pdf". Also, I think you need to use a .LAP file on the DL-1.

Lap counters briefly show each time you pass the lap marker, in the center slot where the vehicle speed is shown normally. - GA

Does anyone have current AX22 firmware and the right cables for an update? Appreciate the help!

Another thought - if there is serious interest from a couple of people to acquire a system we could work with the Pro IT Series guys to approach the vendor and ask for a sponsorship and good discounts.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Another thought - if there is serious interest from a couple of people to acquire a system we could work with the Pro IT Series guys to approach the vendor and ask for a sponsorship and good discounts.[/quote]

Excellent idea! We're really leaning towards this system, and we'll definitely be doing Pro IT with at least 2 cars.
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Or you could quickly buy the one Rob has for sale which is discounted to $700 or whatever.

Greg, do you know if there's a way to adjust how long the lap number is shown?
    Dave Gran

Or you could quickly buy the one Rob has for sale which is discounted to $700 or whatever.
    Too late. It literally just showed up at my door
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Greg, do you know if there's a way to adjust how long the lap number is shown?
    I don't (Jeremy might) but I'll look into it. - GA

Sorry guys, got busy playing with some new equipment and temporarily forgot about this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by almracing
    4 - GPS shift makes it difficult to compare "lines" from one day to another.
    That's been improved in v7 of the software now. If you take a consistent pit out & pit in line you can use the Run Manager to shift the data for better overlay.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    on the Dash3 you have about 4 or 5 different screens you can scroll through and can also customize. You can basically have any variable that the DL1 logs and have it displayed on the Dash3, so I am assuming the Dash2 is the same but even better since you have a much bigger screen, hopefully someone who has one can confirm that.
    Actually the DASH3 is more flexible than the DASH2 b/c the LCD is completely programable where the DASH2 has fixed field locations. Remember the DASH3 is several years newer than the DASH2 so some things are actually better on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    NOTE:
    You have to ask for it, but until the 11th all DASH3 Fulls are on sale for the DASH3 Lite price. I "think" that includes the bundles too. If your on the fence......
    Yes this ends soon. Good for DASH3 or DASH3+DL1 bundles. Just give me call before the weekend is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    Does anyone have current AX22 firmware and the right cables for an update? Appreciate the help!
    I haven't worked with the AX22 but is has a serial port and CF card slot just like the DL1, what cables are you missing? I can help you with the latest firmware, just shoot me an email so I can reply to it and attach the firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rthiele View Post
    Another thought - if there is serious interest from a couple of people to acquire a system we could work with the Pro IT Series guys to approach the vendor and ask for a sponsorship and good discounts.
    Currently they only sponsor the Runoffs and the Solo Nationals but I can check with them if they have any interest. However keep in mind that typically the support has been in the way of discounts for the winners, I don't know if I can convince them to provide an up front discount for series participants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    I don't (Jeremy might) but I'll look into it. - GA
    I don't recall ever seeing it but I'll find out for sure.

Anything else I can help with? just post, email or call.
    Last edited by jlucas; 01-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

On a side note I'll have 2 used DL1 available shortly (IIRC, 10Hz models too), should be $700ea if anyone want to get a reservation in.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

Really get whatever most people you run with, that are willing to share, run.

It is really good to be able to compare data, and have some one else or a pool of people to ask for help.

I love the AIM system, but the software leaves some to be desired compared to EFI or Motec, but I like the AIM software better then anything else. Plus 99% of people in my region run AIM

oo GPS is a nice additional feature but the stuff in the DA systems isn't very accurate.

Another plus for AIM, EFI, and Motec

NER Guys -- I would love to see some data from the DL1. I downloaded the software and would like to give it a look with real data. If anyone can email me some data I would greatly appreciate it. (preferably NHMS since I run there most often or LRP) email to anthonynarrc at aol dot com.

Jeff - that 1:15. lap at NHMS would definately be interesting to see. Like, did you just go straight over the hill at Turn 3... waved to the emergency guys and came out at the bird house? LOL
    Anthony R.
    ITA #86 NER
    Honda CRX Si

Quote Originally Posted by almracing View Post
    Jeff - that 1:15. lap at NHMS would definately be interesting to see. Like, did you just go straight over the hill at Turn 3... waved to the emergency guys and came out at the bird house? LOL
    Thank god I had proof and witnesses because I couldn't believe it myself!! :eek:

PM me your e-mail.
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place