Thread: So when is a wing legal in IT?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    But, to counterpoint this statement I thought the entirety of the VIN rule going away was that a car that didn't exist could not be "created". Hence the 96 325 M-Technic as an example.

R
    Rob, there was no E26 325 in 1996 so its not on the spec line. You can only create a model that is on your spec line. There was no 328 M-Technic so you can't 'create' one.

The purpose of the VIN rule going away was to facilitate easier chassis choices. Like using your 328 'shell' and creating a 325. Or taking a NX1600 and creating an NX2000. Technically not legal before, now will be.

You seem to want to take a characteristic from another spec line and use it as your own. Nope.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Rob, there was no E26 325 in 1996 so its not on the spec line. You can only create a model that is on your spec line. There was no 328 M-Technic so you can't 'create' one.

You seem to want to take a characteristic from another spec line and use it as your own. Nope.

I used the wrong date, but still there was no 95 325 Mtecnic.....and there was no e26....so we're even!!

I'm not trying to do anything but understand.....don't infer my intentions. As evidenced by the number of opinions and interpretations here I'm not the only one who has some unanswered questions......

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I used the wrong date, but still there was no 95 325 Mtecnic.....and there was no e26....so we're even!!

I'm not trying to do anything but understand.....don't infer my intentions. As evidenced by the number of opinions and interpretations here I'm not the only one who has some unanswered questions......

R
    The last E-36 328 Coupes produced in 1999 had the M3 moldings and Luxury Bumpers (M3 bumpers without the black lip spoiler) These parts were on cars that had the Sport Package.
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    The last E-36 328 Coupes produced in 1999 had the M3 moldings and Luxury Bumpers (M3 bumpers without the black lip spoiler) These parts were on cars that had the Sport Package.

Like this. 99 328 is sport package;

or this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-3...QQcmdZViewItem

So the M3 bumpers and side trim can be run on a 96 328is using the same spec line arguements (as the 99 328 is sport package) already mentioned above....so there's really no need to look into the M technic package.

Si?

ps Thanks Rob

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

So the M3 bumpers and side trim can be run on a 96 328is using the same spec line arguements (as the 99 328 is sport package) already mentioned above....so there's really no need to look into the M technic package.

Si?

ps Thanks Rob

R
    Yup. Although the M3 luxury front bumper is different than the regular M3 unit.

All you are doing is updating and backdating front bumper assemblies for a car with multiple years on it's spec line. No VIN rule application here.

To apply the VIN rule removal to your situation: Like Dave Maynard is doing - taking a 325 and turing it into a 328. Before the recinded rule - illegal. In 2009, legal.

But again, since there was no 328 M-technic in the US, you have nothing to update - backdate to in order to get THAT SPECIFIC front bumper.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Yup. Although the M3 luxury front bumper is different than the regular M3 unit.

All you are doing is updating and backdating front bumper assemblies for a car with multiple years on it's spec line. No VIN rule application here.

To apply the VIN rule removal to your situation: Like Dave Maynard is doing - taking a 325 and turing it into a 328. Before the recinded rule - illegal. In 2009, legal.

But again, since there was no 328 M-technic in the US, you have nothing to update - backdate to in order to get THAT SPECIFIC front bumper.

Ahhhh yes but aren't splitters allowed? Why can't I use the BMW splitter (lip) that came on the M3 bumper?

Devil's advocate mode off

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

Ahhhh yes but aren't splitters allowed? Why can't I use the BMW splitter (lip) that came on the M3 bumper?

Devil's advocate mode off

R
    You can, provided it meets the ITCS rules for splitters. The difference is in the 'mouth' of the grill. Slats for the luxo, honeycomb for the standard IIRC.
    Andy Bettencourt