Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So when is a wing legal in IT?

Default So when is a wing legal in IT?

As the title states; When is a wing or spoiler or lip...whatever you call it- legal? How do you know what option packages are on your spec line in other words?

I have two cars both are (seem) totally stock. One has a rear spoiler one doesn't.......

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

Only if it came from the factory as a no-option item...e.g., Acura Integra GS-R or Mazda RX-7 GTU....

If it was optional, it ain't legal. If it was dealer installed, it ain't legal. If it came on *all* cars regardless of trim....it's legal.

(Personally, I'd love the option to NOT run the GS-R rear wing in ITS, 'cause I know it's all-show, no-go, as most factory "option" wings are....)

Note - it does not have to be a factory item on every car on the spec line, just one car on the spec line. One model on the spec line must have always had them, from the factory, at least one year. e.g. 85-92 VW Golf/GTI - all GTIs had a rear hatch spoiler, so all cars on the spec line can run one - all 85-86 GTIs had rear disk brakes, so all cars on the spec line can run them.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Note - it does not have to be a factory item on every car on the spec line, just one car on the spec line.
    Si, Senor. That's what I actually meant vis-a-vis "all" cars. I as thinking in terms of updating/backdating (e.g., *all* GTUs came with that rear wing, thus anyone in ITS can update/backdate to the GTU specs...)

Although, I stand by the opinion that "factory" rear wings create FAR more drag than they create downforce....but, knock yerself out, they look pimpy and all...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Si, Senor. That's what I actually meant vis-a-vis "all" cars. I as thinking in terms of updating/backdating (e.g., *all* GTUs came with that rear wing, thus anyone in ITS can update/backdate to the GTU specs...)

Although, I stand by the opinion that "factory" rear wings create FAR more drag than they create downforce....but, knock yerself out, they look pimpy and all...
    one place that you will find a "good" wing is the AW11 MR2 - it actually lowered the Cd of the car by ~0.01 - that pickup truck bed is a big drag-inducer and the wing helps to build a high press. zone in that area. it is legal, too, per the spec line. I am sure a few others like this exist.

So how do you know what option packages are on your spec line?

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

Only if it came from the factory as a no-option item...e.g., Acura Integra GS-R or Mazda RX-7 GTU....

If it was optional, it ain't legal. If it was dealer installed, it ain't legal. If it came on *all* cars regardless of trim....it's legal.
    I'm gonna respectfully disagree. The word "optional" does not appear in 9.1.3.D.8. You can, therefore, run an optional factory installed wing/spoiler/air dam, so long as it was not "limited production". But BTW, that last term is not defined anywhere in the GCR, so it's essentially meaningless, IMO.

But in any case, "optional" and "limited production" would not necessarily mean the same thing. A case in point would be the Fiero GT, which could be had with an optional (RPO code D80, ~ $300) rear wing. Over 95% of the GT's built had this wing installed at the factory, so by even the wildest definition, it was not "limited production" IMO.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I agree that factory options including wings, spoilers, etc are perfectly legal. (Not dealer installed). The Purpose of IT as described in 9.1.3.A. is very clear; "...cars will be models, as offered for sale in the United States. They will be prepared to the manufacturer's specifications..." Therefore, if the option was provided by the manufacturer for any model on the spec line the parts are legal.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    So how do you know what option packages are on your spec line?
    Monroney stickers, product brochures, research with owner's groups?

Care to offer us specifics on what you're trying to do? We might be able to help instead of talking generalities...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I'm gonna respectfully disagree. The word "optional" does not appear in 9.1.3.D.8. You can, therefore, run an optional factory installed wing/spoiler/air dam, so long as it was not "limited production". But BTW, that last term is not defined anywhere in the GCR, so it's essentially meaningless, IMO.
    I don't think we disagree.

The rule specifically states:
    Dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited.
    I'm reasonably confident that the purpose of the rule was to disallow factory aftermarket (dealer aftermarket) body kits such as what the first-gen RX-7 had that was very popular. That car had a full body kit (front air dam, side skirts, rear spoiler) available as an option from the dealer (it was never installed at the factory), and it was also sold through dealers afterward as an accessory kit.

I'm also confident it was NOT intended to disallow (intentional double negative there) items that were able to be checked off on the car order sheet; in other words, it does allow option codes like the second-gen RX7s GTU spoiler (and MANDATES use of rear spoilers that were not optional, like the ITS Acura GS-R's and the ITA Toyota MR-2's.)

And, the rules also allow installation of the above spoilers on a sister car if at least one of the models on your spec line had it.

Si?

Care to offer us specifics on what you're trying to do?
    No!!!

Specifically I'm trying to figure out 2 things;

1. Why some of the ITR e36's run an M3 bumper....my assumption is it's from the M-technic package which was a very short limited run package.

2. Why some of the ITA Miata's for example have a rear wing and others don't. I'm just trying to get my arms around the scope of the rule vis-a-vis option packages.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post
    No!!!

Specifically I'm trying to figure out 2 things;

1. Why some of the ITR e36's run an M3 bumper....my assumption is it's from the M-technic package which was a very short limited run package.
    Correct. The MT was indeed a model and you could have built your E36 ITS/ITR car out of one. Legal.

2. Why some of the ITA Miata's for example have a rear wing and others don't. I'm just trying to get my arms around the scope of the rule vis-a-vis option packages.

R
    Very few guys run the rear wing like I do. I just like it! It's the R-Model rear wing.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I don't think we disagree.
    We're on the same page... I think.

I simply (and specifically) disagreed with your original statement...

If it was optional, it ain't legal.
    ...which is not always the case.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

OMG... I agree with Andy. (Hi Andy.)

Rob,
    I know the M Technic was a model of the two door 2.5l E36. I do not know if that model continued with the engine change to the 2.8l (328is) in '96. You may have to do some research to see if the model applies to the 328i/is spec line.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
    I simply (and specifically) disagreed with your original statement...[If it was optional, it ain't legal.] ...which is not always the case.
    What I intended by that statement was that if it was only available as an option, it's not legal...I'm trying to think of an example where a rear wing is allowed where it was purely an option...

Using the above examples, they're not "options." The RX-7 GTU had that rear wing standard, and since that model is legal in IT so is the rear wing. The Miata rear wing was standard on the R model; the BMW rear wing was standard on the M-Technic model. Both of those cars are legal in IT, thus those rear wings are legal in IT.

I stand by that statement, but conditionally; help me think of an example where a purely optional rear wing is allowed in IT? - GA

I stand by that statement, but conditionally; help me think of an example where a purely optional rear wing is allowed in IT? - GA
    A good question. What if it was a simple line-item option? I think we have to look to the SOLO rules here. Dealer installed stuff is NOT legal. Port-installed and factory installed options are legal, whether they are part of a package or one-offs.
    Andy Bettencourt

Just to add additional information on Greg's M-Technic example, to the best of my knowledge and research the MT model included a trunk lid lip spoiler, but not the M3 style wing.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Go back and read my original post in this thread... the Fiero example. I'll bet there are others.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E

First gen MR2 as well right? Even though most ordered it, wasn't the "aero package" or whatever it was called with the front air dam, skirts and wing (all from the factory) an option?

My read on the rule is pretty simple. If it came from the factory, either optional or not, it's legal. If the dealer put it on, it's not. Like Gary, I'm at a loss as to what the "limited production" language means or how we are supposed to interpret it.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by ed325its View Post
    OMG... I agree with Andy. (Hi Andy.)

Rob,
    I know the M Technic was a model of the two door 2.5l E36. I do not know if that model continued with the engine change to the 2.8l (328is) in '96. You may have to do some research to see if the model applies to the 328i/is spec line.

I'm just starting that research. It was available in Europe. I need to find out about the US.

So I can run everything that came in the M tecnik package if it was available on my car?

AB I like the wing too!!

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ed325its View Post
    Just to add additional information on Greg's M-Technic example, to the best of my knowledge and research the MT model included a trunk lid lip spoiler, but not the M3 style wing.
    I have never seen an MT with any type of spoiler. But to fit it into this thread, if it did come with one, whatever it's design, it would be legal in IT on a 325is.
    Andy Bettencourt