Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Super Touring is IT

I was also wondering if anyone knows how many IT racers there were in the country last year. I would imagine the national office knows or they should.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by pkeane2 View Post

Z3: There is a weight break for front wheel drive cars and intake manifolds must be stock.

Funny because my motor was legal for Speedvision back in '01 but wouldn't be legal for STU. The manifold is stock, but from a previous generation.

The problem with the restrictor was it's limited avalibility, one of the sources didn't even have the correct size, and making the air box stiff enough to not crush during testing.

Like Josh mentioned the weight to hp rules seem to favor the smaller displacement cars. In SoPac we have a regional class called Radial Sedan. I can't run with these rules, by the end of the weight process I wind up at close to 3500lbs, which is nearly 1000lbs more than my cars current weight. It does seem to work for the 1.8-2.3 liter guys though. I'd always planned on giving it (DP/SU) a try once my car was ITR legal though, it seemed easier than trying to adapt the restrictor then bolt on weight, and worry about not having taken advatage of the fabricated rear suspension option.
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 12-20-2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: unclear pronoun
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

XR4: I think the fuel cell rule could be changed to something like the new AS OEM fuel tank rule. I will submit it to the CRB. IT cars can run OEM tanks in STO/U.

Z3: I misstated, intakes must be OEM. Yours is legal. Wild West! If your car has a 2.8 it has a base weight of 3080 with driver.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    Peter, the only drawback ( if safety could be considered a drawback) is that as I read the rules, every car needs a fuel cell if the stock tank is not between the axles. Obviously IT does not require cells, can you run a legal IT car in STU without a cell?

matt
    Yes you can. The STO/STU rules state that if you run a IT car it has to run in IT trim. A 89 CRX Si ITA car won the Cen-Div national points championship in DP the last 2 years I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    I was also wondering if anyone knows how many IT racers there were in the country last year. I would imagine the national office knows or they should.

matt
    I do not have the number of drives but I do have the number of entries for 2007.

ITA 1817
    ITS 1093
    ITB 920
    ITE 749
    ITC 418
    IT7 362
    ITR 193
    ITX 124
    ITT 16
    ITU 13
    ITM 3
    Tom Sprecher

XR4: I think the fuel cell rule could be changed to something like the new AS OEM fuel tank rule. I will submit it to the CRB. IT cars can run OEM tanks in STO/U.

Z3: I misstated, intakes must be OEM. Yours is legal. Wild West! If your car has a 2.8 it has a base weight of 3080 with driver.
    Peter: the STU rules state "Intake requirements. All cars shall use the installed engine’s stock air metering device (e.g. throttle body) and intake manifold, unless noted otherwise."

He has a 2.8L M52 engine with the intake manifold from a 2.5L M50. In other words, it's not the "installed engine's stock intake manifold." Therefore, it's not legal.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

....Z3: I misstated, intakes must be OEM. Yours is legal. Wild West! If your car has a 2.8 it has a base weight of 3080 with driver.
    Or I could put the correct manifold on and run ITR and weigh 2800lbs. Less ballast and I don't have to worry about fab-ing a custom rear suspenson to replace my semi-trailing arm suspension.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I'm one of those NASA guys who will be at the IT Fest and ARRC in 09.

Thanks Butch and Todd (& SCCA) for the new oppertunity.

JW
    STU #88

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Peter: the STU rules state "Intake requirements. All cars shall use the installed engine’s stock air metering device (e.g. throttle body) and intake manifold, unless noted otherwise."

He has a 2.8L M52 engine with the intake manifold from a 2.5L M50. In other words, it's not the "installed engine's stock intake manifold." Therefore, it's not legal.
    I am unable to find the archieved rules for Speedvision circa 2001, but I'm certain that it was allowed at the time in both the e-36 and e-46 328's. I can't imagine that such a swap would be able to fly under the radar of a successful pro-racing effort. Again, no worrys though because I'm going to be ITR legal which makes me eligable for a 280 lb weight break.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter