Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCCA ITS 2nd Gen build

Default SCCA ITS 2nd Gen build

first off as the title says i'm going to start building my 2nd gen into a SCCA ITS car...this project will probably take some time to finish becuz i dont have to much free time at the moment but hopefully i will have the roll cage and all safety equipment in by feb 20 so that i can go to driving school to get my SCCA regional license... i bought a '88 shell and im in the process of transferring my engine, tranny, suspension and diff from my '86 gxl..the reason for this is my '86 was originally an auto and i had made a custom trans mount to convert it to a manual trans (that is against the rules) so far today my friends jesse (rotaryguy007), johnny and i start by removing the sound deadening (as much as possible with the amount of dry ice that i bought)...we also transferred the diff and put my rear coilovers on (HKS Hiper d) i completely forgot about the camera at the time so no pics of that :dammit: ..here are a few pics that i did take

here is the donor car

Last edited by ismaelae86; 12-17-2008 at 01:06 AM.

the shell

and removing the sound deadening

we pretty much removed everything but still need to work on the tunnel since it is the hardest spot to get the dry ice on too

and here is my friend johnny chipping the tar off and i think he is having fun

and heres a few more pics of the new car with my S5 taillights on

ill post some pics tomorrow of the progress

Thank God for young future racers with strong backs and stamina!!

Nice work, guys

BruceG

Good start. Put the dry ice in a plastic bag and it will last a lot longer. It actually evaporates. Break it in small pieces with a block of wood to cover more area. Car looks like a solid shell to start.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I remember those heady days of building the first race car...exciting times...lol...

Good work guys. Keep posting the pics. Where are you located?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

thanks for the tip ill probably use the dry ice bag trick on the tranny tunnel and firewall. i live in El Monte,and doing the swap at my friends shop in Duarte, California, thanks for the support and yes this is a very exciting build for me, ill try and post pics later on tonight if the rain subsides

Go get 'em dude. You want to come out to NJ and chip tar off my 968? I'll provide unlimited beer :-)
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Wow...a rust-free donor!!

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Go get 'em dude. You want to come out to NJ and chip tar off my 968? I'll provide unlimited beer :-)
    lol u might have to add flight and somewhere to sleep lol

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Wow...a rust-free donor!!
    lol yeah i guess its one of the benefits of living in cali, doesnt rain to often and no snow lol

today we got the front suspension done, arp studs in the front at the moment,and a manual rack..it was really hard to work since it was raining all day and again didnt get to take any pics (didnt want to get my camera wet) ill take some tomorrow of todays progress and tomorrow...its not suppose to rain tomorrow so hopefully i can knock out a bunch of stuff tomorrow

For that undercoating, a good hair dryer (or heat gun), a putty knife and patience works well, too - and may work better on the tunnel.
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

k its time to update you guys.sorry its taken me a while just been really busy because we had a party on sat and some family is down from washington state to visit

first off we finished up the suspension until i get some more parts and we got the manual rack on

we got the trans in

we pulled out the engine( i know its dirty but since i was in a rush we didnt wash it ill just worry about it when i rebuild it in the near future

we put the dash in and my seats and the door panels (just until the roll cage is installed and i get my buckets seats)

and thats pretty much where i stand at the moment until i get the roll cage in and get the rest of my suspension, exhaust and misc.

heres a few more pics of it parked out side my house

and i wanna thank Lucky 7 for letting me swap everything over at there shop

LOL! i love that sticker

i will keep u guys updated

Quote Originally Posted by dyoungre View Post
    For that undercoating, a good hair dryer (or heat gun), a putty knife and patience works well, too - and may work better on the tunnel.
    thanks for the tip