Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cold-Air Intakes (CAI) for 88-91 CRX Illegal

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The MkIII Golf takes its air from inside of the engine compartment. Remember that "in the engine compartment" means "anywhere in the engine compartment."

K
    Kirk,

The stock air intake on the MkIII Golf is from the fender. See the diagram below. That little plastic tube at the bottom of the air cleaner goes through a hole in the side of the engine compartment to the fenderwell.

DZ
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are your thoughts on this? A2 Golf. The place on the inner fender (drivers right) where the air filter box, CIS unit sits has a 4 to 5 inch hole in it. Below that is a braket of similar size. My idea is to run a 4" dryer hose from the brake duct on the spoiler to the hole in the inner fender. This can be accomplished without any modifications. I do not intend to connect the hose to the air box. This is basically just ducting air to the vicinity of the air pick up. It is possible to do this without touching the ledge that the air box sits on. Over to you guys.
    ALEX WILEY

59 SAAB 750GT MINI STOCK 70-72
    67 NSU 1000TT C SEDAN 73-75
    67 NSU 1000 TTS GT5 81-82
    74 FIAT 128SL GT5 83-84
    71 DATSUN 510 MINI STOCK 89-91
    74 SAAB 99 ITB 92
    74 VOLVO 142 MINI STOCK 93-05
    84 VW GTI ITB 06-08
    87 VW GOLF GTI ITB #15 CURRENT

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zaslow View Post
    Kirk,

The stock air intake on the MkIII Golf is from the fender. See the diagram below. That little plastic tube at the bottom of the air cleaner goes through a hole in the side of the engine compartment to the fenderwell.

DZ
    Well, hell - looky there!

It's been so long since I saw the stock one, I'd forgotten about that little snorkely piece.

:026:

K

EDIT - I plead old age and forgetfulness, which is why I defer to Cameron to inform me on issues of any real substance, engine-wise.
    Last edited by Knestis; 12-18-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    What are your thoughts on this? A2 Golf. The place on the inner fender (drivers right) where the air filter box, CIS unit sits has a 4 to 5 inch hole in it. Below that is a braket of similar size. My idea is to run a 4" dryer hose from the brake duct on the spoiler to the hole in the inner fender. This can be accomplished without any modifications. I do not intend to connect the hose to the air box. This is basically just ducting air to the vicinity of the air pick up. It is possible to do this without touching the ledge that the air box sits on. Over to you guys.
    You're going to have a challenging defense on your hands, calling that a "brake duct" if it doesn't duct to the brake. Too clever by half, I think...

K

Quote Originally Posted by nsuracer View Post
    don't call it a brake duct.

Air intake hoses, tubes, pipes, resonators, intake mufflers, housings, etc., located ahead of the carburetor/throttle body may be removed or substituted.

so maybe "substitute" a hose or pipe per your suggestion and direct the air in the "vicinity" of the air box. i think a 1 mm gap might work.

connect it with a grounding strap so that it is part of the air hose but the intake is still where it was. it would not be connected at the intake and would not be a "ram" air effect.

ylmv (your legality may vary)
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I smell an Air Snake!
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

The second pic Earp posted on the wedges - that sealed plenum I remember from my TR7 days - it's a fresh air intake for the heater, nothing to do with the engine, as I recall.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Hmmm...I've seen those before on TR7s but never on a TR8 (mine does not have one). I thought they didn't have them because of engine/plenum/carb clearance issues?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Sooooo according to all the lawyers with the half moon on their door, it may be legal and it may not?
    ALEX WILEY

59 SAAB 750GT MINI STOCK 70-72
    67 NSU 1000TT C SEDAN 73-75
    67 NSU 1000 TTS GT5 81-82
    74 FIAT 128SL GT5 83-84
    71 DATSUN 510 MINI STOCK 89-91
    74 SAAB 99 ITB 92
    74 VOLVO 142 MINI STOCK 93-05
    84 VW GTI ITB 06-08
    87 VW GOLF GTI ITB #15 CURRENT

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    don't call it a brake duct.

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

so maybe "substitute" a hose or pipe per your suggestion and direct the air in the "vicinity" of the air box. i think a 1 mm gap might work.

connect it with a grounding strap so that it is part of the air hose but the intake is still where it was. it would not be connected at the intake and would not be a "ram" air effect.

ylmv (your legality may vary)
    My read is that the substitution of hose is between the inlet and the Throttle body. you may replace this whith whatever you want and you amy lengthen or shorten it however you want so long as the pickup point (which I think we all agree on) is legal. ducting ahead of the pickup point is an addition, not a substitution, and not allowed, so therefore illegal.

sorry, the air snake is a non-starter.

I agree that is the intent.

However, define "pickup point."
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

I'll give it a go.

The pickup point is the furthest upstream point in the airflow in which ALL of the air inside that flow goes into the engine.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

Look at a diagram of your intake tract. the upstream end of all those parts is the pickup point. and as JoshS said - ALL of the air passing through that point is engine-bound. bypass air from diverter systems (air snakes) is not, so that is not intake - simply a cold-air diverter TO the intake.

The Carbed 1st Gen CRX's stock air intake collected in a small hole in the front frame of the car near the headlight, very similar to the TR8. The guy that built my car swears that the carb setup produce's more air without a filter or the stock air cleaner on it... however, my fastest laps around VIR might prove other wise.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I think the problem with the "Air Snake" may be that air really doesn't like turning corners. The more tortured the routing, the less potential gain.

As to the Volvo, it draws air from in front of the rad support when its warm, and from the hot air stove on the exhaust manifold when its cold. Therefore, it can draw its air from pretty much anywhere except the trunk.

Now for my question-I have managed, through significant effort, to locate the air filter for my Neon in front of the trans, below the battery. Ignoring any hammer marks you may think you see, as long as its not below the level of the rad support, does that put it still inside the engine compartment?

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I'll give it a go.

The pickup point is the furthest upstream point in the airflow in which ALL of the air inside that flow goes into the engine.
    Which would mean that if a drain hole is further from the engine than the actual intake, the drain hole becomes the pickup point.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    ..., as long as its not below the level of the rad support, does that put it still inside the engine compartment?
    is that the bottom of the engine compartment per the GCR?

Engine Compartment
    - The loosely defined volume, nominally enclosed by panels on top and sides, which is the normal location of the engine in a car.
    i don't see where it has a "bottom" per the GCR. nowwhat??
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by jjjanos View Post
    Which would mean that if a drain hole is further from the engine than the actual intake, the drain hole becomes the pickup point.
    Fine, I'll revise:

"The pickup point is the largest of the most upstream points in the airflow in which ALL of the air inside that flow goes into the engine. "

Of course, I did say earlier that we don't need a formal definition of this. You just proved my point -- any wording just gives the ability to find gray.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    is that the bottom of the engine compartment per the GCR?

i don't see where it has a "bottom" per the GCR. nowwhat??
    How about, 9.1.3.8.c

No part of the car, except for the exhaust system and suspension components, shall be lower than the lowest part of the wheel rims.

Sounds to me that you could mount a forward facing scoope under the motor, that is if your tires have a low enough profile.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    As to the Volvo, it draws air from in front of the rad support when its warm, and from the hot air stove on the exhaust manifold when its cold. Therefore, it can draw its air from pretty much anywhere except the trunk.
    Actually, I believe the hot air stove on the exhaust manifold was limited to the 2x1b carb setups. On the D-Jet engines, 100% of the intake air comes from in front of the rad support, regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael