>> If there is space to allow a tube to run up to the grill without modifying anything I would think it would be legal as long as it wasn't mounted flush up to the grill. If it was mounted say 1" behind the grill it is essentially getting air that is from inside the engine compartment. Now if it was mounted directly to the grill then the air is from outside the engine compartment as it never really entered the engine compartment. What are your thoughts on this?

I personally don't think that's intorturtation. We do a conceptually similar thing on my Golf, having cut up the bottom (pre-filtered) side of the air box to allow it to pull air from the vicinity of the space behind/below the front bumper, on the outside toward the fender well.

One data point: We punched out (well, Greg A punched out) a right side headlight at the Summit 12 hours. I seem to recall that Cameron came away from that convinced, based on data on the DL1, that the ECU got smarter as it figured out that cool air was being packed into that space, and adapted to make more power.

K

KK