Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HNR Survey

Default HNR Survey

Like so many, the survey style willl not please everyone but......

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...Y47yT2sg_3d_3d

Completed it. Where's the results?
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    Completed it. Where's the results?
    I'll post them at the end of this month

Over 200 people have completed the survey and things are still rolling in.......... I'll publish the results when the flow flattens or at the end of December.

In the meantime, I have updated my matrix http://www.am-rennsport.com/HNR.html

Quote Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
    Over 200 people have completed the survey and things are still rolling in.......... I'll publish the results when the flow flattens or at the end of December.
    Have you published this to places where there isn't as much SFI-hatred as in the IT community? I frequent a bunch of other forums and no one talks about this stuff like they do here. I also haven't seen this poll posted. I think if you want a good cross-section of the community, you need to go outside the world of IT.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Have you published this to places where there isn't as much SFI-hatred as in the IT community? I frequent a bunch of other forums and no one talks about this stuff like they do here. I also haven't seen this poll posted. I think if you want a good cross-section of the community, you need to go outside the world of IT.
    A good point and it is on 10 or so forums by now I think. Feel free to post it on others's if you'd like.

Last edited by JimLill; 12-28-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks for providing such a great service, Jim!

Very interesting to see such a disparity between "data from sled tests" and SFI approval.

Not sure how US-focused the participants were, but I'm surprised that so many would value the FIA cert. Good marketing? Since it is after all just a HANS quality control test, I mean.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Thanks for providing such a great service, Jim!

Very interesting to see such a disparity between "data from sled tests" and SFI approval.

Not sure how US-focused the participants were, but I'm surprised that so many would value the FIA cert. Good marketing? Since it is after all just a HANS quality control test, I mean.
    - My pleasure..........

- FWIW, FIA does not do sled test stuff, SFI does witness the Delphi Run, other sled data is OEM and sled-staff witnessed

- Looking thorugh the IP#, nearly all of the responses came from US/Canada

What does "head excustion cm" in the last collumn?

<duh>........ it means you found a sloppy typo on my part as it was in that last column!

Thanks for finding that........

Tom is referring to http://www.am-rennsport.com/HNR.html

That is Head Excursion in centimeters, data I have only found in the 2002 Melvin paper.

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Not to mention "Ease of egress..." as the #1 consideration. Folks have figured this out, hence SFI's low rating.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

What bothers me is how much weight is put on the SFI ratings.

The top 3 items people found "critical" were ease of egress, ease of driving and sled test data. The #4 most critical was that stupid SFI sticker! More than 1/3 of the respondents found that to be "critical". 1/3 or so of the market ain't buying without that sticker. At least, that is how I viewed "critical" when I took the survey.

If I was putting a device to market, I can either try to educate the masses about what the SFI is all about, try to promote another organization with a different approach (RSI) to the racers and the organizations, or I can say screw-it and make the best SFI approved device I can. Or I can do all three

Like I've mentioned on another forum. Jim, thanks for taking the time and effort. In addition to the work on this survey, for the data matrix and the moderation on the trackpedia forum.

When I look at every bit of raw data, and align the individual votes of users, I see that some people checked all 3 "approval" choices as critical. Maybe, just to be "safe"

Also, in the case of SFI, there is a chance that many checked that as critical in making a choice of what to buy but that doesn't mean critical in terms of performance. For example, if you race with an org that currently requires SFI, you might see that as critical to what you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLill View Post
    When I look at every bit of raw data, and align the individual votes of users, I see that some people checked all 3 "approval" choices as critical. Maybe, just to be "safe"

Also, in the case of SFI, there is a chance that many checked that as critical in making a choice of what to buy but that doesn't mean critical in terms of performance. For example, if you race with an org that currently requires SFI, you might see that as critical to what you buy.
    As this survey was broadcast across multiple message boards, you've got a cross section from multiple sanctioning bodys, and of those only the SCCA doesn't mandate SFI/FIA compliant devices. That is if you run even once a season with NASA, BMWCCA-CR, PCA, or any number of other sanctioning bodies, if there isn't a SFI sticker then there's no racing on the track. I say this not because I'm a fan of HANS or the SFI spec, because the wording of the SFI spec requires a device that crosses patent lines. For an example look at what's happening to Defender being sued for patent infringement. What might the outcome of this suite be? Is there a chance that Downing/Hubbard might loose the rights to future patent income because the also wrote the SFI spec?

On a side note, did anyone see the glowing write up of D/H in Grassroots? Is anyone planning on writing a letter on that?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    On a side note, did anyone see the glowing write up of D/H in Grassroots? Is anyone planning on writing a letter on that?
    Are they an advertiser?
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    Are they an advertiser?
    Not directly that I can see, lots of HANS authorized dealers are thought. The article is called "Personal Best 25" It's a list of 25 people who've helped Grassroots racing; Downing and Hubbard are listed as "Saving our necks" on page 88.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

James, right here in SoCal you have VARA, HSR-West and the AROSC who currently, don't care about the SFI or FIA tag on optional head and neck restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    Not directly that I can see, lots of HANS authorized dealers are though.
    Gotta keep the ad buyers happy.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    Gotta keep the ad buyers happy.
    Yeah thats it. We've figured out why he HANS is so popular. Its sold by authorized distributers via a magazine aimed at grassroots racers. What a novel concept. If you can't beat it knock it...