Thread: Minors Racing, Something New/Old

Default Minors Racing, Something New/Old

I read in yesterday's newspaper that the Florida Supreme Court has ruled that A minor's rights may not be signed away by a parent or guardian.

This seemed like old news to me, for when we tried to open a jet ski rental business on a county owned lake 20 years ago, we were told that it was impossible for the very reason quoted in the article.

I am not an attorney, but I just thought that SCCA, and NASA, and all venue operators were just gambling when allowing minors to participate in motorsports activities.

14 year olds raced at the NASA championships, according to Grassroots Motorsports magazine.

You guys that are a lot smarter than I am,, am I reading this right?

Confused
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

SCCA is 16 but there are states such as NY where you still have to be 18. Looks like Florida may be about to join them.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

So if they do join, would minors that already have a license have to follow?? I just got mine and i am 17. im sure that it will take a while for it to come into effect. just wondering.
    james

You have go karts, short tracks, motorcycles,that race at 14 or less. Kart racers can 5 yrs old. Karts are a lot more dangerous than cars.
    The sanctioning body insurance is the final word,IMHO.
    My Son is ready for his road race permit, 16/
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/