Thread: Making it reliable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Making it reliable

My MK3 Golf hasn't been as reliable lately as I thought it would be. The last couple of weekends at the track I had a mechanical problem on Saturday.

First weekend was a intermediate shaft seal that leaked, oil got to the clutch and it started slipping.

The second weekend, the master cylinder failed.

What items should I replace to reduce the chance of not finishing the weekend? I made the car safe, and I thought it was reliable. I was getting ready to make it fast, but I have to go back to the making it reliable step.

Maintenance that has bee done to it in the last eight months:

- Shifter rebuilt
    - new tie rods and ends, ball joints
    - new control arm bushings
    - new valve cover gasket
    - new front pads, rotors and brake flush with Motul RBF600
    - new timing belt and tensioner
    - replaced front and rear crank seal, intermediate shaft seal
    - new clutch disc, pressure plate and lightweight flywheel
    - new clutch cable with manual adjustment
    - oil filter and oil changes, new gas filter, new air filter
    - new spark plugs and wires
    - new PCV valve and installed catch can
    - coolant flush, new expanasion tank and hose flange piece (next to head)
    - tranny fluid changed
    - new engine and tranny mounts
    - vacuum lines replaced and A/C vacuum lines deleted
    - EGR deleted
    - TB cleaned
    - new TT cat back and deleted cat

Thanks, Edison

I'd get rid of the lightweight flywheel-they're failure prone and if they don't fail, you'll fail.

PS-how'd the oil from the intermediate shaft seal make it to the clutch-neat trick!
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    I'd get rid of the lightweight flywheel-they're failure prone and if they don't fail, you'll fail.

PS-how'd the oil from the intermediate shaft seal make it to the clutch-neat trick!
    Thanks for the reply. The car, as it is right now, it not an IT build. It is a dedicated track car, I know you guys have a lot of experience racing it on ITB.

There was oil all over the oil pan, I suspect oil got the lower inpection cover (I don't know the exact name for it) and then to the clutch disc.

The reply about the flywheel was tongue-in-cheek because they're illegal in IT-but it seems you know that. A proper lightweight flywheel is reliable.
    phil hunt

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs View Post
    The reply about the flywheel was tongue-in-cheek because they're illegal in IT-but it seems you know that. A proper lightweight flywheel is reliable.
    Thank you for bringing it up. The flywheel is a Eurospec unit.

You seem to be on the right track. The key to reliability isn't something that can be put in a large paragraph. Replacing or sevicing any and everything that is failure prone (master cyl/whl cyls, waterpump, wheel bearings); using good judgement about how things are screwed together/mounted or their proximity to things that move or get hot; honoring your gut feeling when you abuse something (when the motor hit 9000rpm when you caught 2nd instead of 4rth, or that off thru the pothole) by doing whatever inspection/rework to CYA from the possible effects of that abuse; keeping good records; being vigilant about the condition of all neccessary electical components and terminations-wiring and problems at terminals seem to fail 1000x more on racecars; and plumbing-don't forget plumbing! and so on and so on.
    Probably the best advice I could give would be to purchase a copy of Prepare to Win by Carrol Smith. And if you don't find it an engaging read, then maybe you don't have the passion you need to pursue this sport. I expect you'll find it remarkably interesting and a great resource that answers your question better than any of us could.
    phil hunt