Thread: Making it reliable

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey Edison,

A3 gauge cluster took a crap on mine. flashing temp light, speedo didn't work (no biggie), engine light, fuel gauge wandering around...

I replaced the resevior and double checked the wiring before I swapped in the cluster from my daily driver. One of the reasons I bought it, that and it's fun to drive the same car to work. It was all the cluster, they apparently have crappy solder and crack causing shorts all the time. Not that any of that would end your day but it could. Would suck to worry about if it's REALLY an issue or just a bunch of flashing lights. I ended up sending it to a guy in Canada that apparently makes a living fixing A3 clusters because they are that bad.

Jump the VSS to the ECU if you haven't already, it will eventually become an issue.

Put a new Idle Control Valve on it. Mine failed and ruined a whole day at the dyno.

I'm running a spool so rebuilding axles and a spare set is mandatory for each season. Like Beran said stay away from the store bought stuff. I change the oil before every race, and run a checklist of things to tighten. Always torque your own lugs! I barely made it into the pits with 4 wheels in 08' because I relied on someone else "who thought they were tight". wheel was trashed and could have been a lot worse.

Oh and check your damn coolant! There might not be anything in there? Some of us remember that brilliant move... Geez
    Last edited by chewy8000; 01-06-2009 at 08:06 PM.
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com