Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trans AM is back

I spoke to Tommy Kendall yesterday to get his thoughts. We need to see Tommy and Dorsey Schroeder back in cars along with Tanner Foust and this series will take off in no time.+-

I forgot to mention one caveat in the rules. That being the requirement of a SFI 38.1 Head and Neck Restraint. Even for those running in GT-1 that might step over into T/A on any given weekend. Now from my informal viewing at the track *most* of those guys are already wearing a HANS so this is not a big surprise. It is however the beginning of the requirement of the H&NR in SCCA Club races since the line of Club and Pro at least in these races is going to be blended.

db

Based on nothing but a guess I do not think that is a black helicopter plot. This new series is sanctioned by Pro Racing and Pro requires 38.1 already.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post

I don't get what the point is of having two series for GT1 cars to compete in the same sanctioning body. I mean there are crossovers.. for sure like SM/ITA, etc.. but how is the trans-am sereis going to differ from the current GT1 class?
    This series sounds the same as any of the "PRO-IT" events that we have created in our catagory of racing. I haven't heard of any complaints from any of us when we run a Pro-IT event. I think this is a great way to grow GT-1 and to allow the GT-1 drivers to "double dip" at some events and go to some special events they normally wouldn't get to run at. (Just like I am doing with the TEAM DI PRO-IT series in the northeast)

I think the GT-1 Catagory is almost exactly what we think of when we think Trans-am so why not let them race again under the same name? Why not let the past series live on as big or small as it is and except that Trans-Am has been replaced by other SCCA Pro classes in regards to TV, Advertising, Revenue, and Public Interst.

Stephen