Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans AM is back

Default Trans AM is back

Announced at PRI show.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Did they do it smart or dumb...?

K

I just got an email saying it was being run with a mix of events including some of the bigger SCCA Nationals (ie RAtlanta & VIR DBLs, Rose Cup). Also running with maybe ALMS and some div of NASCAR. As I remember it had six events set and a few more TBA.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    I just got an email saying it was being run with a mix of events including some of the bigger SCCA Nationals (ie RAtlanta & VIR DBLs, Rose Cup). Also running with maybe ALMS and some div of NASCAR. As I remember it had six events set and a few more TBA.
    Sounds good, except as I understand it, the Rose Cup is not a National event this year, it's a double regional. Still, it's believable that TransAm could race that weekend.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Prep rules?

Is it like the last iteration of TransAm with tube frame cars, or is it like Koni Challenge with pony cars?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Prep rules?

Is it like the last iteration of TransAm with tube frame cars, or is it like Koni Challenge with pony cars?
    From what I have read if it's legal for SCCA GT1 it's legal for Trans-AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithg View Post
    From what I have read if it's legal for SCCA GT1 it's legal for Trans-AM.
    If that is the case, they fail. They just don't get it.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by RacerBowie View Post
    x2
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I think you expectations might be off. From my guess this is not an expensive major initiative to create a new top level pro series but more of a ground up grass roots series based on club racing rules and using a old revered name that SCCA just had laying around, think Nasport of Pro IT not Grand Am. The new series seem to have been backed by current GT1 guys who are looking to do a little more that Nationals and if handled right could certainly be built into something of value.
    There could be some upside and very little risk for the club.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

x3

trans-am cars should be able to crossover into koni challenge GT without changing much.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

+1

Was watching the Monterey Historic races last weekend, and when the Trans-Am race came on I couldn't help but think about how bad SCCA f*#$d up that series. With the new Mustangs & Challengers already out, and the new Camaro about to hit the streets that could be an awesome series if they did it right.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

http://scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=4&news=3541

yup, based on GT-1 rules.

epic......FAIL.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I appreciate your point Dick and I do see little downside to SCCA, but I am x4. Trans Am racing shoudl be factory cars with minor tweaks that gives the factoires the bragging rights surrounding their make/model.

Then again this all may be moot, as GM looks like it will be going bankrupt here shortly.
    Jeremy Billiel

So if SCCA took on this grand vision of a rebirth of Tran-Am (which I admit would be way cool) and then lost a half a million dollars you guys would be okay with that?
    At least two years ago SCCA officials met with the big three about a TA rebirth and the companies all pledged cars. They were told it could not happen unless the auto makers pledged financial support and they all said never mind.
    The two periods in history when Trans-Am racing was awesome were both times of factory support. This GT1 series may be of no interest to you but I think it unfair to say it is a failure just because it is not your fantasy series.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Make it similar to Koni series, OR just base it on the IT rule set and spec current 'pony car' performance level vehicles. I could see that having fields 2-3x larger than GT1 cars will give.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    So if SCCA took on this grand vision of a rebirth of Tran-Am (which I admit would be way cool) and then lost a half a million dollars you guys would be okay with that?
    At least two years ago SCCA officials met with the big three about a TA rebirth and the companies all pledged cars. They were told it could not happen unless the auto makers pledged financial support and they all said never mind.
    The two periods in history when Trans-Am racing was awesome were both times of factory support. This GT1 series may be of no interest to you but I think it unfair to say it is a failure just because it is not your fantasy series.
    why would they lose a half mil?

factory support gets you what, 6 cars on the grid? combine that with the other two GT1 cars at a national and you got yourself a race!!!

i really think the grids will suck with this format. if you keep the rules more tame to allow the Koni GT cars to enter, you can get crossover entries from them, where there actually are a bunch of privateer teams. these guys might be interested in Trans-Am for testing purposes, or i bet the demographic of the guys running in that have some favorable nostalgia for the TA series, and being able to run BOTH TA and Koni GT would be very appealing. if i had money, that sure sounds like a good bargain to me.

building and maintaining a GT1 car for a series that might be gone in 12mos? F that.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Make it similar to Koni series, OR just base it on the IT rule set and spec current 'pony car' performance level vehicles. I could see that having fields 2-3x larger than GT1 cars will give.
    Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    if you keep the rules more tame to allow the Koni GT cars to enter, you can get crossover entries from them, where there actually are a bunch of privateer teams. these guys might be interested in Trans-Am for testing purposes, or i bet the demographic of the guys running in that have some favorable nostalgia for the TA series, and being able to run BOTH TA and Koni GT would be very appealing. if i had money, that sure sounds like a good bargain to me.
    x2 or whatever we're up to now. Create another series that is "pony car" specific but where the prep level crosses over to Koni GT or Grand Am. IMO, that's really the only way to make it work.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

While I too would like to see a return to factory Trans Am in production like cars, Dick's point is a good one.

SCCA can't afford a series like that anymore. High priced track rentals, support staff, advertising, etc. Pro series like THAT cost money.

On the other hand, an essentially "self run" series by GT1 drivers that is tacked onto Nationals, etc., doesn't cost the SCCA money.

It's a point I had not considered, and Dick is right. An expensive full blown pony car series could cost SCCA a lot of money.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Maybe they kept it different than the koni challenge series to keep from possilbly taking away from the it's old series, Speed GT? Currently you have had teams with factory support in the series.. I don't think there is any at the moment, but having another series to similiar to it could take some people away from it. Much like how a few teams have left speed touring for the cheaper koni challenge. Which I beleive was one reason why the rules for the speed series were changed for next year to make the cars hopefully cheaper.. Atleast that is what I have heard.

I don't get what the point is of having two series for GT1 cars to compete in the same sanctioning body. I mean there are crossovers.. for sure like SM/ITA, etc.. but how is the trans-am sereis going to differ from the current GT1 class?
    Last edited by quadzjr; 12-12-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    While I too would like to see a return to factory Trans Am in production like cars, Dick's point is a good one.

SCCA can't afford a series like that anymore. High priced track rentals, support staff, advertising, etc. Pro series like THAT cost money.

On the other hand, an essentially "self run" series by GT1 drivers that is tacked onto Nationals, etc., doesn't cost the SCCA money.

It's a point I had not considered, and Dick is right. An expensive full blown pony car series could cost SCCA a lot of money.
    i'm not talking about changing anything but the ruleset. still run it in conjunction with Nationals, and everything else the same as is.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region