Thread: Winter mods

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Winter mods

Enough drivel about the schedule! We all know we are going to race somewhere at sometime in 2009!

What do you have planned to do to the race car for your winter upgrades? Trey and I have settled on a plan for getting the POS-7 a little faster and braking better.

1. Fix the brakes! We'll start with a new booster and inspect/replace all the rest of the system components as required. Hopefully this will help solve our inconsistent pedal. We're thinking about switching to Carbotech pads too after chewing through rotors at an alarming pace.
    2. Install the headers and put on a real "racing" exhaust system. Bound to free up a few more rotary squirrels up front!
    3. Install the tri-link/panhard set up to make this piglet handle a bit better. (Yo Izzy! Guess who gets to do this!)
    4. Install a proper fuel pump/regulator/filter system. (See fuel tank below) We have a PBJ modded carb so its now time to optimize it somewhat.
    5. Fix our stupid, rusting fuel tank! Haven't decided how we're going to do this yet, either a new tank, clean out and fix the old one, or a fuel cell if the budget allows.
    6. New tires. As much as I'd like to try a set of go fast/stickem good Ho-Hos, I think either RA-1s or R888s fit our budget a bit better. Not the fastest of course, but they certainly wear OK. We figure 8 tires will at least get us through May.

That's the short list. I would add that a new seat and HANS of some type are in the budget as well. What say ye Midiv racers?

Our list is fairly short this year (compared to last year)

1) Fix the trailer. We went through 3 boards last season. Always at the worst possible times too. Lights are apparently by Lucas.
    2)Engine Stayrod and new motor mounts.
    3)If we're feeling randy, install the new oil pan and windage tray.
    4)Get the airdam and brake ducts on the car that we built last season.
    5)Tires
    5)Apparently install a Tri-Link in Mr. Scotts RX7
    6)Build 911, STi, and an E30 cage to help with the racing funds
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I am in the process of getting all my spares and stuff together in one spot so that I can sell the ITA Miata. Actually Drago is going to sell it as he built it and repaired it and knows every thing pretty much about it. Then I am going to try to figure out how to drive this new fangled FWD Acura GSR. I think it can run in SSC this coming year, so I guess I can chase Ol John around most of the MidDiv tracks. I only see doing this for one year and then it is back to IT. Not much to do to an SS car unless you are one of the folks dealing in the black art! (Or so I am told.) Tnord should jump on here he is in "midbuild" with his new miata.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

You guys could just head south and race all year. We have three scheduled races in Jan.
    Good luck with the upgrades.
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

I'm done... repainted the Volvo in October.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Ooh, looks purty!

I'm doing that myself; bumping, bondo, and paint over the Xmas break... then a big For Sale sign and start working on the next car!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com