Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter mods

Default Winter mods

Enough drivel about the schedule! We all know we are going to race somewhere at sometime in 2009!

What do you have planned to do to the race car for your winter upgrades? Trey and I have settled on a plan for getting the POS-7 a little faster and braking better.

1. Fix the brakes! We'll start with a new booster and inspect/replace all the rest of the system components as required. Hopefully this will help solve our inconsistent pedal. We're thinking about switching to Carbotech pads too after chewing through rotors at an alarming pace.
    2. Install the headers and put on a real "racing" exhaust system. Bound to free up a few more rotary squirrels up front!
    3. Install the tri-link/panhard set up to make this piglet handle a bit better. (Yo Izzy! Guess who gets to do this!)
    4. Install a proper fuel pump/regulator/filter system. (See fuel tank below) We have a PBJ modded carb so its now time to optimize it somewhat.
    5. Fix our stupid, rusting fuel tank! Haven't decided how we're going to do this yet, either a new tank, clean out and fix the old one, or a fuel cell if the budget allows.
    6. New tires. As much as I'd like to try a set of go fast/stickem good Ho-Hos, I think either RA-1s or R888s fit our budget a bit better. Not the fastest of course, but they certainly wear OK. We figure 8 tires will at least get us through May.

That's the short list. I would add that a new seat and HANS of some type are in the budget as well. What say ye Midiv racers?

Our list is fairly short this year (compared to last year)

1) Fix the trailer. We went through 3 boards last season. Always at the worst possible times too. Lights are apparently by Lucas.
    2)Engine Stayrod and new motor mounts.
    3)If we're feeling randy, install the new oil pan and windage tray.
    4)Get the airdam and brake ducts on the car that we built last season.
    5)Tires
    5)Apparently install a Tri-Link in Mr. Scotts RX7
    6)Build 911, STi, and an E30 cage to help with the racing funds
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

I am in the process of getting all my spares and stuff together in one spot so that I can sell the ITA Miata. Actually Drago is going to sell it as he built it and repaired it and knows every thing pretty much about it. Then I am going to try to figure out how to drive this new fangled FWD Acura GSR. I think it can run in SSC this coming year, so I guess I can chase Ol John around most of the MidDiv tracks. I only see doing this for one year and then it is back to IT. Not much to do to an SS car unless you are one of the folks dealing in the black art! (Or so I am told.) Tnord should jump on here he is in "midbuild" with his new miata.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

You guys could just head south and race all year. We have three scheduled races in Jan.
    Good luck with the upgrades.
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

I'm done... repainted the Volvo in October.

Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Ooh, looks purty!

I'm doing that myself; bumping, bondo, and paint over the Xmas break... then a big For Sale sign and start working on the next car!!!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Put the car away in October--deep storage.

Work continues on the new build. Starting the paint work. New car is a completly bare shell save for the roll cage. Most other prep--including complete removal of all undercoating and seam sealer is done. Hope the painting goes well.

Start with the front wheel wells and engine compartment, move along the bottom and then to the interior and finally the exterior surfaces. I may just have to stop at the primer stage on the exterior surfaces and go into some assembly mode so I can at least move it out in the Spring to an alternative build site.

i'm not really "mid-build," more like just getting started.

i do have the new car, new shocks, and adjustable spring perches. after someone buys my SM bilsteins i'll be getting some springs as well. I have a set of Enkei RPF1s showing up eventually, and new seat to install, and depending on what happens with work, i might go pretty far into a true IT prep car (i bought it as an SM), or that might wait until next year. at minimum i'll get an intake, probably a Springfield Dyno exhaust on it, and i have a minor change to the cage for sure.

past that? a better radiator would be good, shorter FD, paint and body work, another set of wheels, better splitter, and better guages. i'm putting everything on hold until after christmas, so we'll see what happens.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Hey Travis...Sounds like you've got the recipe for 1:09's at Gateway!

I've not got much to do....

Just need to do all the bodywork, build a new motor, and change the entire suspension! $$$

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    i'm not really "mid-build," more like just getting started.

i do have the new car, new shocks, and adjustable spring perches. after someone buys my SM bilsteins i'll be getting some springs as well. I have a set of Enkei RPF1s showing up eventually, and new seat to install, and depending on what happens with work, i might go pretty far into a true IT prep car (i bought it as an SM), or that might wait until next year. at minimum i'll get an intake, probably a Springfield Dyno exhaust on it, and i have a minor change to the cage for sure.

past that? a better radiator would be good, shorter FD, paint and body work, another set of wheels, better splitter, and better guages. i'm putting everything on hold until after christmas, so we'll see what happens.
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Hey Travis...Sounds like you've got the recipe for 1:09's at Gateway!
    this year? not even close. i'll be at least 10whp shy of that being attainable. it should be enough to finish in front of all the ITS cars though, as the SM guys already seem to do that.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

My list keeps getting longer:
    1 make some changes to the cage
    2 build a better exhaust
    3 convert motor to later electronic injection and megasquirt
    4 change bent rear axle
    5 fix banged up right side of the car

Then 6 comes up. Found a really clean shell locally. Decided to pick it up and build a better version of my current car. After 2008 I really believe that an all out fresh build is what I need to meet my goals. Just need to make it a little bit better in every category.

It will probably drag out long past winter, and may preclude me running at all in 2009, but I look forward to the process, and driving the result.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

GARY, that son of a gun looks like it just came off the showroom floor! Can't wait to see the blue streak going around Hallett.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Default Small Things Only

There's not a lot of major items to do on the car so I have a short list of things I'd like to get to if time permits.

- Have the spare engine ported, rebuild and swap it sometime mid season if I'm behind in the points.
    - install jacking plates
    - reinforce the shock and strut towers
    - tab the shell to the cage
    - reinforce the subframe
    - install racing transmission
    - relocate battery to the trunk
    - fiberglass bumpers
    - 8" rims

It needs a good waxing too.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    GARY, that son of a gun looks like it just came off the showroom floor! Can't wait to see the blue streak going around Hallett.
    I have to agree and for some reason I love that color.

Tom Sprecher

Switching from carbs to fuel injection. Lot of work. Lot of money. Hope it pays off.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Gary, your Volvo is cool, always loved that body style! Tom your blue car is nice too...gotta love a clean RX7.

My list:

Put together a new engine - I'm about 40% there, still cleaning and measuring parts

Pull my existing engine, replace the front and rear seals e-shaft seals, replace the front cover gasket and clean it up a bit.

Replace the Pitman arm and innner/outer tie rods...The pitman is a touch loose and the tie rods are old

Make ride height checking fixtures so that I can use the Hunter Lazer Alignment system at Santa Fe Garage Services to setup the car for next year

Replace the front rotors, bearings and pads

Pull the radiator and oil cooler and clean debris out of the fins

Unbolt the front fenders and clean out the tire rubber

Replace some of fuel lines in steel braided

Rework my helmet blower hoses

Service and inspect everything else

Save for tires..................
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Forgot one!

Repair the Izzy's Custom Cages trailer wiring with my usual aerospace components and quality so it will never be a problem again.

I'm switching from carbs to fuel injection. Lot of work. Hope it pays off.

I am taking that pile of parts in my garage and finally combining them into something that resembles a race car. Lots of work, hope it pays off, and helping Ron and Jeff switch from carbs to fuel injection.
    Jeff Roussel
    Soon to be ITS Datsun 260z

Shut up man. I bought you a ratchet!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    I'm switching from carbs to fuel injection. Lot of work. Hope it pays off.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8