Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Race engine motor oil

Will be interesting to compare the prices of the custom, Mobil 1, and Amsoil.

I recently read Amsoil literature on the three ball wear test. Of course Amsoil was best on both tests, but the Joe Gibbs and the Brad Penn were only slightly behind. I have switched from M1 to Amsoil and am quite happy with my cam wear along with the remainder of the motor. Now, if I can just quit lending the car so friends can blow motors, I'll be ok Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Will be interesting to compare the prices of the custom, Mobil 1, and Amsoil.

I recently read Amsoil literature on the three ball wear test. Of course Amsoil was best on both tests, but the Joe Gibbs and the Brad Penn were only slightly behind. I have switched from M1 to Amsoil and am quite happy with my cam wear along with the remainder of the motor. Now, if I can just quit lending the car so friends can blow motors, I'll be ok Chuck
    Since starting this thread, I've done a bit of research...it appears that Valvoline VR1 has more ZDDP(zinc,etc) in it than M1 and is about half the price at local autoparts stores!!

Also, it seems like Brad Penn has more ZDDP than any other oil and might be best for flat tappet engines like Formula VEE.

Also....Idemitsu makes the only oil designed for rotary engines and endorsed by Mazda. They used it in their big rotary win at Lemans in the early 90's.

Default Racing oil redux

Quote Originally Posted by rsportvolvo View Post
    Anyone else stumble across Mobil 1's new (to commercial consumers) racing oil?

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...cing_Oils.aspx

Looks like a good oil for most of our older engines. A friend is going to check with a Mobil 1 test engineer about the viscosity compatibility. I'll post the info once (if) I get it.
    Sounds like a good compromise for older engines. They designed it to be used in Nascar flat tappet engines. Might have to try it in my 49 Plymouth coupe that has a 54 Desoto Hemi in it!

Default Additive package

I recently purchased an oil additive from my Swepco (Southwestern Petroleum) distributor for resale in my shop. It's named "502 Engine Oil Improver", and is loaded with Molybdenum. It's not a viscosity improver, so I can use it in lower mileage customer cars. Should be very good for OHC and flat tappet motors.

Default oil additives

Quote Originally Posted by fiero14 View Post
    I recently purchased an oil additive from my Swepco (Southwestern Petroleum) distributor for resale in my shop. It's named "502 Engine Oil Improver", and is loaded with Molybdenum. It's not a viscosity improver, so I can use it in lower mileage customer cars. Should be very good for OHC and flat tappet motors.
    Before you try that stuff go to the website"askbobtheoilguy"(I believe). It's the ultimate forum on oil! They built several motors with plexiglass covers so that you can see what happens to the gears. They added diferent additives(Lucas and a bunch of others). They all foamed up the gears really badly!!

Check it out for yourself.

My engine builder recommended Rotella. It's a diesel oil, no additives. Not sure I want to go that route!!!
    timo

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    My engine builder recommended Rotella. It's a diesel oil, no additives. Not sure I want to go that route!!!
    That is what I used for break in on my all out build motor. Changed to redline after one session on Rotella, and saw 20-30deg oil temp drop. Road America, same day, no other changes - other than revving it out a bit more (I have also found that short shifting by 300-500rpm drops temps by 15-20deg in my car)
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Default Best motor oil

Quote Originally Posted by timo944 View Post
    Timo..what kind of car are you running the Rotella in? I read somewhere that diesel oil will foam up in a gas engine.

Bruce

Rotella diesel still has all the additives needed by the older motors. I use it for break in oil on my BMW motor. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I was also advised by Don Dixon who just rebuilt my motor to use Rotella for the break in. Again, as stated, because it still has all the zinc, heavy metals, additives, ect. Then I switched to Redline.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Hands down winner. Joe Gibbs racing oil. I worked at a well known engine builder and we tested many oils on the engine dyno. It consistently proved itself in better HP/TQ. We didn't see any more wear in the engines from using it as well. The new team I work for was using another brand in their Grand-am Koni challenge cars. On a E46 BMW M3, we saw 5 HP at the wheels in a back to back test.
    Rob May
    I'll race anything....

The car is a 944 with typical IT-legal rebuild - balanced etc. The builder (Jon Milledge's machinist) recommended running Rotella all the time but I won't. I did buy a supply for initial break-in though. Hope to get up and running here in a few weeks, the motor is back in the car...yahoo!!
    timo