Thread: 2nd Gen RX7 ECU and Wiring Harness Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2nd Gen RX7 ECU and Wiring Harness Question

Hey Guys - Just need to confirm a few things. I am having issues with my wiring harness and need to start evaluating my options. As such, here are my questions:

1. It is my understanding that we are no longer limited to an ECU stand alone system that has to fit in the stock ECU box (i.e., doesn't have to be in the ECU box anymore)?

2. If I was to run a stand alone system like MicroTech, can I purchase the complete kit with the wiring harness and still be ITS legal (not sure about the harness)?

3. If running a stand alone system with a custom harness, do we still have to run the Air Flow Meter?

4. Anybody running MicroTech? If so are you pleased with their product?

Any guidance with regards to these questions, would be great.

Thanks
    Wayne
    Last edited by waynehussey; 12-08-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    Wayne Hussey
    36 ITS RX7
    SCCA Florida Region
    http://prostuning-net.webs.com/

yes wayne , i believe you're right , don't have to use any of the stock stuff. maybe we can get steve e to chime in . i know he will have the correct answer. mike (isc) should also know.

Not completely open guys. Someone on the ITAC can correct me but on the RX7 you can:

Use any ECU and it does not have to go in the case.
    Add or replace existing wire (you can not ditch the entire engine harness)
    Air flow meter must remain unaltered and in its stock location.
    Can't help with microtech-I only use Motec.

86-88 computer is usually trouble free. Just hard to get fueled enough without those funny purple injectors I see guys running.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Wayne, I use the microtech, had it installed / dyno tuned by someone who really knows RX7's, and I have been impressed with the gains it has given me. It is also a fair bit more reasonable than some of the units I have seen.

Thanks Guys. Based on my reading of the GCR, I agree that we can use any ECU but still must keep the AFM.

Can anyone from the ITAC confirm Steve's undertanding of the replacing of the engine wiring harness rule. Based on ITCS rule D(1)(a)(6) &(7), you can modify or replace wires and connectors in the engine wiring harness and for any changes to the MAP and TPS. In addition, other existing sensors (other than AFM) may be subbed for equivlant unit. So what if I modify and replace all of the wires in the engine harness....is this still legal? Just want to be clear on the rule before I make any purchases. Based on the literal reading of the rule, if I replace the engine wiring harness as one unit with connectors, it seems to be the same as if I replaced each wire seperately in the engine wiring harness with connectors.

Just seems odd that they would allow us to us any ECU system that we want, but could not use the recommended wiring harness with the stock sensors to run the upgraded ECU system.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by waynehussey; 12-09-2008 at 10:23 AM.
    Wayne Hussey
    36 ITS RX7
    SCCA Florida Region
    http://prostuning-net.webs.com/

Wayne, Steve is my mentor, the light and the way, and the High Priest of Racing -- tongue only sorta in check, the guy knows his shit -- but I think you are right. "Modify or replace sensors and wire" means, to me, you can use the harness that comes with the ECU and use it to replace the stock engine harness (consisting of wires and sensor).

Quote Originally Posted by waynehussey View Post
    Thanks Guys. Based on my reading of the GCR, I agree that we can use any ECU but still must keep the AFM.

Can anyone from the ITAC confirm Steve's undertanding of the replacing of the engine wiring harness rule. Based on ITCS rule D(1)(a)(6) &(7), you can modify or replace wires and connectors in the engine wiring harness and for any changes to the MAP and TPS. In addition, other existing sensors (other than AFM) may be subbed for equivlant unit. So what if I modify and replace all of the wires in the engine harness....is this still legal? Just want to be clear on the rule before I make any purchases. Based on the literal reading of the rule, if I replace the engine wiring harness as one unit with connectors, it seems to be the same as if I replaced each wire seperately in the engine wiring harness with connectors.

Just seems odd that they would allow us to us any ECU system that we want, but could not use the recommended wiring harness with the stock sensors to run the upgraded ECU system.

Thanks again.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8