Thread: Mk2 ITA build thread

Default Mk2 ITA build thread

this is going to be a bit long term, aiming for pretty solid prep & an ARRC trip for 2010 at the earliest. But its the journey there that I intend to chronicle here.

The basis for this project is a 1994 Hardtop that ran in SSB for a while, before being retired to lowly trackday duty. I intend to get back to racing with this car.

As it ran in the 1997 SCCA Runoffs (according to the logbooks)

as it was when I purchased it:

I would not recommend this cage kit, but it will suffice until its 10/10ths build time

Since purchase I have done nothing more than refresh the fluids, swap in some new Carbotech pads, update a few safety wear items (belts, padding mainly) and ditch that wink mirror (horrible, couldn't even see the wing at the back of the car with it.. heh). I was able to shake it down in October at Eagle's Canyon Raceway and I'm very happy with the car so far. Its a noticeable improvement over my 1991 sunroof car in cornering and braking due to the better stiffness and reduction in weight (approx 2590 with what I'd consider post-race fuel load, before further allowed weight reduction)

Interior as it stands right now:

this offseason's plans
    - switch over to aluminum seat with a beefy head support add-on
    - add 2nd door bars & rear cage legs to firewall for NASA & SCCA wtw legality & extra protection
    - purchase & install my planned ITA suspension (Koni 8611 inserts, cut down stock tubes, springs TBD)
    - autocross testing of suspension

I plan on running locally with NASA & SCCA in 2009 to cut my teeth a bit more racing wise. I've got lots of track experience, lots of time trials experience, but very little racing so far and I know I've got quite a few things to learn there. 2009 should also see a trip out to Miller Motorsports Park for a run at a pair of national titles in Time Trial F & Performance Touring F. I've done NASA's TT program quite a bit, was 3rd nationally in 2006 and 2nd nationally in 2007 with my 1991 that I have approx 85 track hours in, and approx 20 autocross hours in as well. Needless to say that MR2s have been my favorite since I started getting into this whole going fast around turns thing. Even though I've largely run with the other club, I have always liked the idea of the IT classing set, and have enjoyed being around some of the guys that are big on the scene - it was this that is driving me to run with both equally as much as possible.

2010 plans will likely be
    - power development (possibly around the stock longblock if budget becomes a concern)
    - scrap existing cage & redo to my own tastes (tighter fitment, through rear window, etc)
    - further suspension development if needed
    - final drive change if needed (I highly doubt it will be though)

beyond that, we'll see how these cars shake out. I know of at least 1 other Mk2 build that should be high quality, and I know of at least 1 existing car. I hope I will not be the only one crazy enough to attempt this foray into unknown waters

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy the further updates as they come
    Ken Brewer
    1991 Toyota MR2 - retired NASA TT car, Daily Driver
    1994 Toyota MR2 - ex-SSB car -> NASA PTE/SCCA ITA

Alwasy glad to see resurrected race cars.. especially MR2's.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

you are hardly crazy, that should be a good A car. build sheet sounds solid and appropriately basic, but be careful of head supports that make ingress/egress difficult and/or block peripheral vision. might want to upgrade the steering wheel to a suede-wrapped piece, too.

can't wait to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    you are hardly crazy, that should be a good A car. build sheet sounds solid and appropriately basic, but be careful of head supports that make ingress/egress difficult and/or block peripheral vision. might want to upgrade the steering wheel to a suede-wrapped piece, too.

can't wait to see more!
    the thing I like about the aluminum seat angle is that I can basically install stuff ala carte by bolting on what I want it to have. I'm on the look out for a head support thats just big enough to do the job, built solidly so it just doesn't fold over if its used, and position it such that it catches the brunt of the weight of my head/helmet without being so high that my eyes aren't cleanly over the top.

I've got a nice pre-owned Momo wheel in the garage, need to go pull that stock lump off of there and measure how much I want to set the new wheel towards me

Great ideas though its nice to have a second set of eyes look things over to spot things I might be overlooking
    Ken Brewer
    1991 Toyota MR2 - retired NASA TT car, Daily Driver
    1994 Toyota MR2 - ex-SSB car -> NASA PTE/SCCA ITA