this is going to be a bit long term, aiming for pretty solid prep & an ARRC trip for 2010 at the earliest. But its the journey there that I intend to chronicle here.

The basis for this project is a 1994 Hardtop that ran in SSB for a while, before being retired to lowly trackday duty. I intend to get back to racing with this car.

As it ran in the 1997 SCCA Runoffs (according to the logbooks)

as it was when I purchased it:

I would not recommend this cage kit, but it will suffice until its 10/10ths build time

Since purchase I have done nothing more than refresh the fluids, swap in some new Carbotech pads, update a few safety wear items (belts, padding mainly) and ditch that wink mirror (horrible, couldn't even see the wing at the back of the car with it.. heh). I was able to shake it down in October at Eagle's Canyon Raceway and I'm very happy with the car so far. Its a noticeable improvement over my 1991 sunroof car in cornering and braking due to the better stiffness and reduction in weight (approx 2590 with what I'd consider post-race fuel load, before further allowed weight reduction)

Interior as it stands right now:

this offseason's plans
- switch over to aluminum seat with a beefy head support add-on
- add 2nd door bars & rear cage legs to firewall for NASA & SCCA wtw legality & extra protection
- purchase & install my planned ITA suspension (Koni 8611 inserts, cut down stock tubes, springs TBD)
- autocross testing of suspension

I plan on running locally with NASA & SCCA in 2009 to cut my teeth a bit more racing wise. I've got lots of track experience, lots of time trials experience, but very little racing so far and I know I've got quite a few things to learn there. 2009 should also see a trip out to Miller Motorsports Park for a run at a pair of national titles in Time Trial F & Performance Touring F. I've done NASA's TT program quite a bit, was 3rd nationally in 2006 and 2nd nationally in 2007 with my 1991 that I have approx 85 track hours in, and approx 20 autocross hours in as well. Needless to say that MR2s have been my favorite since I started getting into this whole going fast around turns thing. Even though I've largely run with the other club, I have always liked the idea of the IT classing set, and have enjoyed being around some of the guys that are big on the scene - it was this that is driving me to run with both equally as much as possible.

2010 plans will likely be
- power development (possibly around the stock longblock if budget becomes a concern)
- scrap existing cage & redo to my own tastes (tighter fitment, through rear window, etc)
- further suspension development if needed
- final drive change if needed (I highly doubt it will be though)

beyond that, we'll see how these cars shake out. I know of at least 1 other Mk2 build that should be high quality, and I know of at least 1 existing car. I hope I will not be the only one crazy enough to attempt this foray into unknown waters

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy the further updates as they come