Thread: 1996 Saturn SL2

Default 1996 Saturn SL2

Greetings!! I have a 1996 Saturn SL2 in mothballs and I'm looking forward to building it. The problem is that I'm not sure it's going to be usable for anything! ITA allows 91-95 SL2s and SSC allows 97-00 SL2s. I accept that my car is probably going to be useless. Oh the grief. Oh the discrimination. Oh the smug look on my wife's face. Could you give me an idea of the rationalization?
    Regards!
    Mark

Simple: it was probably classified when the '95 was the last eligible year, and non one has requested that the later models be added.

Are they the same identical cars as the '95? If so, all you need to do is write an email to [email protected], asking that the later models (whatever they go to) get added to the same line. Attaching proof that they're the same car would make the process go smoother. Do it now and you might be able to get it classified early in the year (something obvious and non-controversial like that usually gets pushed through pretty quickly).

If they're not the same identical car, then you need to submit a request to have them classified. You will need to enclose a copy of the Vehicle Technical Specs form.

Regardless, it can get classified, you just have to request it.

GA
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 12-04-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Mark,

Although I'm not a Saturn expert (I only drive the damn thing) I think they were the same up through 96, right? It should be an easy classification like Greg said.

But............ Don't do it man!! Buy, buy, buy!!!! Don't build..... Unless you're the type who likes building/engineering better than driving. There are some killer cars for sale on this site that are being given away. See Dan's 240 for example.

But, if you want to drink the Saturn Kool-aide.........

www.kakashiracing.com

Let me know if I can help in any way. Where are you from?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

96 is when saturn switched to the newer body style just like the 97-00

96 was an odd year for Saturn. It was the first year of OBDII and the second generation SL series rolled out. For the SC series, they waited at least 1/2 year before rolling out the next generation model. This was done (supposedly) to highlight the coupe and, hopefully, drive sales up (according to me and what I've heard over the years).

Anyway, as a Saturn owner and builder into a racecar, I have to echo what has been said above - BUY!! I know there is at least (1) Saturn in the classifieds for sale at a reasonable price, and I believe it is a first gen coupe. It will have the (1) part that is the most sought after for Saturns - a limited slip differential. Here's a link to the ad:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=25056

The owner was (last time I met him) an Engineer for Saturn/GM and used his knowledge to build the car. The car was maintained/supported by the Saturn Performance Club (SPC) - a group of diehard Saturn enthusiasts who, collectively, have probably made every mechanical swap possible on an engine and run it on a dyno (only the computer continues to be a problem).

Anyway, if there is anything else I can do, please do not hesitate to ask. As for getting the 96 classified, it should be pretty easy. I submitted the orignal paperwork for the SL from 91-95 and it got handled very quickly. I'm sure that if you submit your paperwork, it can be added in time for next season (depending on when your season starts).
    "Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.” - Bobby Knight

Bill
    Planet 6 Racing

What Bill said... I know that car... sister car to Jeff's car... well worth it...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Yep, it's a quick car - beat the pants off my mid-packer...
    Steve Linn | Fins Up Racing | #6 ITA Sentra SE-R | www.indyscca.org

Quote Originally Posted by planet6racing View Post
    I know there is at least (1) Saturn in the classifieds for sale at a reasonable price, and I believe it is a first gen coupe. It will have the (1) part that is the most sought after for Saturns - a limited slip differential. Here's a link to the ad:

https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=25056

The owner was (last time I met him) an Engineer for Saturn/GM and used his knowledge to build the car. The car was maintained/supported by the Saturn Performance Club (SPC) - a group of diehard Saturn enthusiasts who, collectively, have probably made every mechanical swap possible on an engine and run it on a dyno (only the computer continues to be a problem).
    Chris Berube's car. Hasn't been used much in the past couple of years, but it's a good car. He use to give me a serious run for my money. We swapped track records and wins at Indy Race Park a couple of years ago. Yes, Chris does work for GM, and actually the last time I saw him was at Mid Ohio during the Grand-Am event as he was there working for the GM Performace Division. Good guy.

As Vaughn said, Chris' car sort of was the sister car to the one Jeff Lawton (posted above) is now selling, which was built by James Walker. I believe James also worked for GM with Chris when the two cars were built. I think that car even held the track record at Mid Ohio at one point. Also a nice car. It's too bad that James sold that car after the '03 season, as I showed up with my ITA Integra in '04 and never got a chance to run with him. In '03, the GLDiv had Chris, James, and Mark Rushbrook all campaigning SC2's out of Michigan. I wish they all would've stuck with it some more as all three were seriously competitive. Mark still has his, but like Chris, it maybe see's a track once a year.

Both Chris, James, and Mark all still lurk on here from time to time, so maybe they'll chime in.
    Last edited by R2 Racing; 12-05-2008 at 01:28 PM.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Drink the kool aid.......go on drink it!
    O.B.
    97 Saturn Sc2
    95 Saturn Sc2 being built
    ITA. CFR
    www.saturnorlandonorth.com