Thread: Finger Lakes Regional @ Nelson Ledges Wrap up

Default Finger Lakes Regional @ Nelson Ledges Wrap up

Hope everyone enjoyed a fine weekend of racing!
    We had a little bit of everything....
    sun, clouds, rain (and lots of it at times)

Luckily ITA was in group one and had dry track on Saturday.
    Sunday morning (after a shower), we dried the track off for the rest of the groups. It was slick, but not as bad as I thought...and it dried out nicely during the later part of the session.

I was fortunate enough to snatch my first two ITA victories and set a personal best lap time (1:19.3)

How did everyone else do??
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Default The most fun you can have with your pants on!

I had a little bit of fun...
    The car ran great nearly all weekend, (some trouble during Sat qualifying but cleared up the issue before the race), which is a first, and allowed me to focus on driving. Had a blast reeling in Jim "Frenchy Royale" during our race, after qualifying 0:095 behind him, and had several exciting laps on his rear bumper.
    He did a great job of both psyching me out before the race and making that lil car wide on the track and kept me behind him, in 4th, at the finish. I also turned in my new best time at Nelson @ 1:24:831.

Sunday was a lot of fun also, but in a "balls in your throat" sort of way. I was nervous running in the rain, especially when I realized on grid that my wipers didn't work.
    I ran the same 710's (thanks to Jay for giving me his take-offs) on the car in the rain as I did during the sun on Saturday, but disconnected the rear sway bar. Lots of screaming could probably be heard from my car as I skated through turns, but I feel that I learned a lot about adjusting my line for rain during that race and now feel more comfortable in the wet. I managed to get by Frenchy early in the race and kept him behind me while also passing a few other cars, including two Miatas (one of which got back by me), and finished 3rd in class. Best lap in the rain was 1:41:602.

Jay was fast again this weekend and hung with "freakin' fast Bill" (Bill: thanks again for the help on the car and allowing me to take spy shots under your hood), on Saturday before Bill blew everyone away in the rain on Sunday. I was very happy to be able to pull the car on the trailer under its own power and without any damage, especially in the rain. Thanks to everyone for keeping it clean and for being such great competitors, I really had a blast!

See you all at IT Fest!
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by ITA_honda View Post
    I was fortunate enough to snatch my first two ITA victories and set a personal best lap time (1:19.3)

How did everyone else do??
    Congrats on your wins and personal best fast lap. I took a break from racing this weekend and went to Norwalk to watch NHRA. Almost lost what was left of my hearing in my right ear when a single Funny Car made a pass. God, those things are SO DAMN LOUD!
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    I had a little bit of fun...
    The car ran great nearly all weekend, (some trouble during Sat qualifying but cleared up the issue before the race), which is a first, and allowed me to focus on driving. Had a blast reeling in Jim "Frenchy Royale" during our race, after qualifying 0:095 behind him, and had several exciting laps on his rear bumper.
    He did a great job of both psyching me out before the race and making that lil car wide on the track and kept me behind him, in 4th, at the finish. I also turned in my new best time at Nelson @ 1:24:831.

Sunday was a lot of fun also, but in a "balls in your throat" sort of way. I was nervous running in the rain, especially when I realized on grid that my wipers didn't work.
    I ran the same 710's (thanks to Jay for giving me his take-offs) on the car in the rain as I did during the sun on Saturday, but disconnected the rear sway bar. Lots of screaming could probably be heard from my car as I skated through turns, but I feel that I learned a lot about adjusting my line for rain during that race and now feel more comfortable in the wet. I managed to get by Frenchy early in the race and kept him behind me while also passing a few other cars, including two Miatas (one of which got back by me), and finished 3rd in class. Best lap in the rain was 1:41:602.

Jay was fast again this weekend and hung with "freakin' fast Bill" (Bill: thanks again for the help on the car and allowing me to take spy shots under your hood), on Saturday before Bill blew everyone away in the rain on Sunday. I was very happy to be able to pull the car on the trailer under its own power and without any damage, especially in the rain. Thanks to everyone for keeping it clean and for being such great competitors, I really had a blast!

See you all at IT Fest!

wait...you were on slicks for the race??
    holy crap dude! you did VERY well!
    My hat is off to you bro!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    Congrats on your wins and personal best fast lap. I took a break from racing this weekend and went to Norwalk to watch NHRA. Almost lost what was left of my hearing in my right ear when a single Funny Car made a pass. God, those things are SO DAMN LOUD!
    thanks Chris,
    yeah...those funny cars are REALLY loud!
    just think....they take a 5 second pass, and their engines are done! wow. imagine replacing our engines have to be replaced every race!

ouch!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

wait...you were on slicks for the race??
    holy crap dude! you did VERY well!
    My hat is off to you bro!
    Yup, I didn't think my "rain" tires (old and worn full tread RA1s) would be much better, so I just left the Kumho's on.

Thanks for everyone's continuous encouragement - I'm just trying to learn without wadding myself, or anyone else, up.
    Ryan Scott
    ITC CRX #23

Sponsors: GoPro, PR Machine Works, SAS, Yoke's Body Shop, Signature Signs
    Great Scott Motorsports
    Rally Team for Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
    Yup, I didn't think my "rain" tires (old and worn full tread RA1s) would be much better, so I just left the Kumho's on.

Thanks for everyone's continuous encouragement - I'm just trying to learn without wadding myself, or anyone else, up.

trust me man, just keep practicing!
    practice practice practice.
    there is no such thing as too much track time, test days etc.

A lot of the instructors were impressed watching you at the drivers school (including me) you really did well!
    keep up the good work!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

Greg, congrats on the wins, wish I could have been there but was on vacation last week in the Dominican. Looks like I would have faired pretty well in the 2nd to 4th place battle based on lap times, if I would have run.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    Greg, congrats on the wins, wish I could have been there but was on vacation last week in the Dominican. Looks like I would have faired pretty well in the 2nd to 4th place battle based on lap times, if I would have run.
    Thanks Chris!
    Vacationing in the dominican eh?
    sounds pretty nice!!!
    hope you had a good time
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

Thanks Chris!
    Vacationing in the dominican eh?
    sounds pretty nice!!!
    hope you had a good time
    It was awesome it was a destination wedding for my sister-in-law. All inclusive so alcohol was my main source of nutrition
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

It was awesome it was a destination wedding for my sister-in-law. All inclusive so alcohol was my main source of nutrition
    Thats a hell of a destination!
    open bar! there ya go!!! thats all you need man!:026:
    im turning 21 in July so....
    lol.

kick back and start enjoying a nice ice cold brewski after the racing weekends!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

Greg, when are you running next. Looks like NL in Oct for me or maybe M-O in Sept or maybe both
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Greg, when are you running next. Looks like NL in Oct for me or maybe M-O in Sept or maybe both
    Chris - Ill be running the IT fest at Mid-Ohio. August 1-2
    Then all the Nelson Ledges events (hopefully) until the end of the year

It will be good to have you back at Nelson man.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

Chris - Ill be running the IT fest at Mid-Ohio. August 1-2
    Then all the Nelson Ledges events (hopefully) until the end of the year

It will be good to have you back at Nelson man.
    I really like Nelson the best, probably because I have been going to races there for like 30 some years now. Of course mostly watching/crewing for my brothers back in the 80's and 90's when the w2w SCCA.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

My weekend started off with a trip to the tirewall in T12 during qualifying. Saturdays race was fun. I could get to Bill in T4, but he always had the line in the carousel. He's so fast out of there. Sundays rain was interesting. I was punked by the Spec Pinata that started in front of me instead of next to the car in front of me. That let inside row to move up. Lost 2 positions off the bat. Lost the lead car trying to make it thru traffic. Learned alot this weekend.I would like to thank those who helped (Greg) with the scramble to get the rain tires on.
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by jay05 View Post
    My weekend started off with a trip to the tirewall in T12 during qualifying. Saturdays race was fun. I could get to Bill in T4, but he always had the line in the carousel. He's so fast out of there. Sundays rain was interesting. I was punked by the Spec Pinata that started in front of me instead of next to the car in front of me. That let inside row to move up. Lost 2 positions off the bat. Lost the lead car trying to make it thru traffic. Learned alot this weekend.I would like to thank those who helped (Greg) with the scramble to get the rain tires on.
    LOL...well all I heard was your horn when you were driving back...and it was pouring so I was pretty sure you needed rain tires.
    haha.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

It was a fun weekend. Saturday (with Scott having problems) I took the pole in IT7. During the race I set a new personal best at a low 1:22 (I still have a LOT to learn about RWD), and I won!!! I didn't even get lapped by the very fast overall leaders until turn 9 on the last lap. But I found a broken shock after the race and went out for Sundays qualifying on it. Hinkle and I thrashed to replace the shock not realizing it was set to full soft. I still managed a 1:22 early in the race, but with a big lead on Scott (still having problems) I peddled around to another win with a very nervous car in the right hand turns. So it turned out to be a good weekend and I was able to give victory laps to friends I got to ride with in the past!! And I'm leading the IT7 points. Hopefully Scott gets his car running better so I can try to chase him and learn more.
    Bryan KF8G
    Nelson Ledges Road Course
    #16 IT7 Mazda
    "There you go man. Keep as cool as you can. Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe, you perceive, the web they weave. And keep on thinking freely"
    Graeme Edge The Moody Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan KF8G View Post
    It was a fun weekend. Saturday (with Scott having problems) I took the pole in IT7. During the race I set a new personal best at a low 1:22 (I still have a LOT to learn about RWD), and I won!!! I didn't even get lapped by the very fast overall leaders until turn 9 on the last lap. But I found a broken shock after the race and went out for Sundays qualifying on it. Hinkle and I thrashed to replace the shock not realizing it was set to full soft. I still managed a 1:22 early in the race, but with a big lead on Scott (still having problems) I peddled around to another win with a very nervous car in the right hand turns. So it turned out to be a good weekend and I was able to give victory laps to friends I got to ride with in the past!! And I'm leading the IT7 points. Hopefully Scott gets his car running better so I can try to chase him and learn more.

shoot! theres that famous IT-7 winner
    I loved the victory lap of us side by side....
    also, my aunt got pictures of us dumping water on each other after the race!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

shoot! theres that famous IT-7 winner
    I loved the victory lap of us side by side....
    also, my aunt got pictures of us dumping water on each other after the race!
    How about the bump at impound??? LOL Yea the victory laps were fun. Too bad no one got pics!!!
    Bryan KF8G
    Nelson Ledges Road Course
    #16 IT7 Mazda
    "There you go man. Keep as cool as you can. Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe, you perceive, the web they weave. And keep on thinking freely"
    Graeme Edge The Moody Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan KF8G View Post
    How about the bump at impound??? LOL Yea the victory laps were fun. Too bad no one got pics!!!
    Yeah, I felt that nudge...and was like "who was that?" and then I looked up and all I see is this yellow Mazda hood in my mirror

see, you finally got to give me some of that chrome horn!!!!!!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang