Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are S2000's ITR competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by ekim952522000 View Post
    I think the s2000 will prove to be one of the top cars in ITR those cars always seem to go faster than the math says they should.
    Especially since it's already 100 lbs lighter than the math says it should be...

Yeah, if it would respond to an engine build like most other cars do. This one won't. 240 hp out of an 4 cyl, you really think you'll get much more out of that from building a "race" engine?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Nope I doubt you would gain much messing with the lower end.I think a nice IT prep to the max cyl. head work would help some.Nice shock/springs,real bushings,camber/etc. ,header and exhaust,intake,shorter rear end gear and maybe an after market ecu but once again I have been told thats pretty well set as it is.

There is a guy that runs an S2000 in NASA and his lap times at Road Atlanta this summer were in the low 1:40's(41-42). Thats pretty quick.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Not to burst anyone's bubble but isn't 1:42's a fast time for ITA?
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Not to burst anyone's bubble but isn't 1:42's a fast time for ITA?
    Top six ITA qualifiers at the ARRC this year were in the 1:42's.

Does anyone know what the weight is of an H1 S2000? IIRC, it's quite a bit less that ITR's 3005lbs.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

I seriously doubt that a motor that won so many awards for the most HP per CC in history is going to get much more in IT trim. We might have some future Formula 1 engineer among us--who knows? Same for the RX8 which is weighted in IT trim to get the same HP numbers as a prod motor. When you get cars classed by just power/weight the tires become a big issue on the heavier cars.

Process weight for the S2000 is correct by todays formula.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Does anyone know what the weight is of an H1 S2000? IIRC, it's quite a bit less that ITR's 3005lbs.
    I'm pretty sure Pete Filicetti's old car (Driven by Jason Meise) was in the 2600lb range w/ driver.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    I can't sort out if I'm looking at 08 rules with proposed revisions for 09 or 07 rules with revisions for 08... regardless, it looks like the 2.0 cars were at 2650 and the 2.2's at 2750 but both received 75# weight drops at some point. WAAAAAAAY under the ITR weight. But, hey, at least they can run at the pointy end of ITA
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Yea, the car I am interested in is a 2600lb car and I must say that I am a little skiddish about adding 400lbs to run ITR. Sounds like S2000's are NASA cars. Oh well

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    Yea, the car I am interested in is a 2600lb car and I must say that I am a little skiddish about adding 400lbs to run ITR. Sounds like S2000's are NASA cars. Oh well
    At 2600 lbs (with driver, I assume?) it's probably missing things that you'd need to put back in ITR to be legal anyway. The one that's racing here in San Francisco Region has to carry about 300 lbs of ballast after being totally stripped.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

although it was a CR the S2000s that Honda R&D ran at the 25 hour last year were pretty impressive.

they were right around 2900lbs, stock motor, no header, no intake, no exhaust, cats removed, stock CR springs and H&R dampers. And it was an Enduro car.

it ran 2:02:xx for most of the enduro, which is pretty good.

I ITR cars should be around 1:59:xx to 2:00:xx at thunderhill with the bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    although it was a CR the S2000s that Honda R&D ran at the 25 hour last year were pretty impressive.

they were right around 2900lbs, stock motor, no header, no intake, no exhaust, cats removed, stock CR springs and H&R dampers. And it was an Enduro car.

it ran 2:02:xx for most of the enduro, which is pretty good.

I ITR cars should be around 1:59:xx to 2:00:xx at thunderhill with the bypass.
    SCCA doesn't use the bypass, but I just asked Dave Vodden (track mgr and club racer), who would know better than anyone, what the time difference is. He said easy 1 second, maybe 2 once you get used to the jump, not much more than that.

Okay, so 2 seconds. I predict a well-driven, fully-prepped ITR car will be in the low 2:03s, maybe a high 2:02 take-no-prisoners-track-record-lap going over the cyclone. So, I think a 1:59.xxx with the bypass is very optimistic.

My best so far in my ITR car is 2:05.5 w/o bypass. It still has the original engine but the handling is getting there and I think the driver is pretty decent.

What does that all mean for the S2K? I still say it can do okay at its current weight.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post

Okay, so 2 seconds. I predict a well-driven, fully-prepped ITR car will be in the low 2:03s, maybe a high 2:02 take-no-prisoners-track-record-lap going over the cyclone. So, I think a 1:59.xxx with the bypass is very optimistic.
    Yep 2 seconds is what i have heard/seen from a few who have ran the track a lot both ways.

I really think ITR cars will be in 2:01:xx, at least i hope so. An ITA integra in enduro trim ran a 2:03:xx with the by pass.

If an H1 S2k isn't a solid 4 seconds a lap faster then ITA, THEY ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    I really think ITR cars will be in 2:01:xx, at least i hope so. An ITA integra in enduro trim ran a 2:03:xx with the by pass.
    The ITA track record is a 2:06.3 (that's without bypass, of course). That Integra is ridiculously fast but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't ITA legal while running a NASA race.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

The ITA track record is a 2:06.3 (that's without bypass, of course). That Integra is ridiculously fast but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't ITA legal while running a NASA race.
    that is taking a huge risk, as it was classed as an ITA car so if it wasn't ITA legal they could be DQ. I know they were really going for it so i doubt they would risk it...

Correct me if I am wrong, but it's the only difference between IT and H3-H5 rules sets are that HC also allows for flywheel, rear wing and CAI buts limits you to Toyo's.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

The issue with an S2000 in ITR trim - or really any trim is the course. On Buttonwillow I reckon the S2000 could hang with John Norris if say John Norris was driving it (for example of driver parity)... But on a course like the Interior Road Course at California Speedway, the S2000 would be outclassed lugging out of the slow right angle turns onto the the relatively long straights.

So on courses where the turns allow you to carry speed - Laguna, VIR, etc, the flowing turns would fall into the nature of the car to carry speed. On course Like RA or RA (LOL) or even Blackhawk or Morroso you'd be fighting a losing battle of the drag race.

Or at least that's my feeling on the matter.
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kgobey View Post
    the S2000 would be outclassed lugging out of the slow right angle turns onto the the relatively long straights.
    Don't lug, downshift. Keep that thing in the powerband and it's got no disadvantage.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Don't lug, downshift. Keep that thing in the powerband and it's got no disadvantage.
    Yeah yeah yeah you know what I mean...
    Racer of old BMW's.
    MCSCC ITS Class E30 325is
    Racing where IT still exists: http://www.mcscc.org/