Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are S2000's ITR competitive?

Default Are S2000's ITR competitive?

I am thinking about getting a Honda S2000 race car. Is this platform competitive in ITR?

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

nobody has really tried yet, so it's tough to say. i'd love to try it, but the 3005lb min weight scares me.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I know it would be a fun ride but the weight will kill it. There are other platforms which have more potential.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

At this point in history, ANY of the platforms - fully prepared and driven with talent - would be a winner, but that's because we're just in the early days of ITR evolution and the competition isn't very strong.

K

It is just hard to say at this point, with any of these cars. I've yet to see any ITR car (even very well driven ones) go significantly faster than an ITS car, if at all, so there clearly is a lot of work and development left in them. I have yet to see an ITR Supra or 300ZX, or 968, and I think all three could be way fast despite the weight. Same with a Boxster or an S2000.

Too many variables right now to know. The S2000 makes excellent power, near best in class, but probably won't respond very well to IT tweaks and is torque deficient. It kind of looks like the RX8 in many regards. We'll see.

Build one and find out! An expensive proposition in R isn't it?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We have an ITR S2000 here in SFR. It's not a fully-built car (stock engine) and he's got limited racing experience (I think almost nothing other than the 20+ races he's done in the S2000 over the last 2 seasons), but he's been doing pretty well. I think it could be a good car. But as others have said, we have yet to see many fully-built ITR cars, other than ex-ITS E36 BMWs.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I have access to an S2000 that has been running Honda Challenge in NASA. I race my Mustang in NASA and have been wanting a SCCA enduro car. I have owned an S2000 as a street drive and know them pretty well.

If they are not ITR friendly and that is the only IT class they are legal for, then I am not sure it makes a lot of sense for me.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I am pretty sure they are in T2 or whatever it is called now as well.

No one is saying that they aren't ITR friendly. No one really knows at this point. Right now, R is interesting because it is the great unknown. No one really has any idea which car is the best or most competitive one for the class.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

If you have access to it and don't have to build it from the ground up, well, that is a different proposition all together. If the milk is for free don't buy the cow to find out if she'll race.

I don't know how I'd fancy my chances with an S2000. The popular BMW's that make up the bulk of the current racing ITR class are at lighter weights, sport larger engines, and are well-known power producers.

Didn't someone just run an S2000 in the 13 hour? I could swear I saw one on track and commented about it on a thread here. You could have a look at their lap times and get a rough idea.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I am pretty sure they are in T2 or whatever it is called now as well.
    T2 is still called T2. But the S2000 is in T3.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrar05 View Post
    Is [the S2000] competitive in ITR?
    It's the same answer to my wife's question about "how many men does it take to swap out a toilet paper roll?"

Answer? "We don't know, it's never been done."

Try it (the S2000, not the TP roll)! Does the HC car vary significantly from IT-prep rules? Take the car and go out there, see how it runs, see where it's got advantages and disadvantages, think about where it can be improved. Worst case you've added a few races to an existing HC ride...

The H1 s2000 you are looking at should be very close to IT legal since H1 s2000's had to run with H3-H5 rule set. I think the s2000 will prove to be one of the top cars in ITR those cars always seem to go faster than the math says they should.
    Mike Uhlinger

I appreciate the input. I am just finishing my second year of racing. I want more laps. I also want to be able to race at VIR more often. Since I am a Mustang driver and the SCCA classing and rules are fairly unfriendly to Mustangs, I have been racing more NASA stuff than SCCA. Since NASA Southeast does not include VIR, I don't get to run at the track I am closest to as much as I would like.

My thinking on the S2000 is to find a more SCCA friendly race car that is allowed to run enduros without having to get special permission and then run the full schedule at VIR. BTW...my primary I would continue to race the Cobra R in NASA competition and the ARRC Enduro.

I don't really need to win anything. Seems to me you guys are encouraging me to give the S2000 a try in ITR. So, we will see if things can get worked out.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I think it is one of the more attractive options in ITR, along with a number of other chassis. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. If you like a revvy powerful motor, with good rwd handling, the S2000 looks like a good choice.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Is the "interesting" handling something that can be fixed or does it handle the same just at higher speeds with some good shocks/spring on it? The reason I ask is I've driven a few, kinda hard, and find they start to push pretty good and then damn near snap loose when you roll out. Fun car, would love to track one, but I'll stay in A thank you.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

That S2000 at the 13 hour was a nice car,just built,can't remember what class it was in that weekend.It is going to be run in T3 next year owned by husband wife team and built by Racelabs someone said.Motor went boom in the middle somewhere during the race,I heard it was a junkrard motor just put in.
    I was in the the Type R that weekend and not sure who they had in the car at the times I was but I pretty much drove around it.Now this was my first time at VIR and my first laps were during my first stint so it took me about 15 laps to get up to speed.Someone said I got down into the 17's so I wasn't smoken the track up by any means.In saying that I also heard the S2000 drivers were pretty new to racing.

I do remember coming out of oaktree and really pulling up to it out of the corner and once I passed it in 5th gear 3/4 way down the track the S2000 seemed to hang on a bit.

Our car is full IT prep except for the motor which is stock,has a big gear and pulled about 190/134 on the dyno before the event.Not sure if thats good or bad but Honda does a pretty good job in the motor dept. in both cars.The S2000 might eek out 210-215 hp at the wheels after a little bit of prep.Our car handles fine in endurance mode but I would be a little afraid of a sprint race keeping up with a better handling car as the S2000 should be.

I am guessing that in your region racing a S2000 is going to be a pretty good car to have,you might be a little out gunned at the ARRC from another car or two but....

And as some of you know the S2000 is of great interest to me if T3 is still around in the future.I even have a friend who is looking at it or the RX-8 for e-prod.

So my bet is build it for ITR and have fun.

Or better yet buy my spec miata and turn it into a ITA car!!!!!!And then you could kick the crap out of Travis with it.

Quote Originally Posted by type r rocket View Post
    Or better yet buy my spec miata and turn it into a ITA car!!!!!!And then you could kick the crap out of Travis with it.
    you just love to get me all fired up don't you? talk all you want right now dave, because if you end up running in ITA next year i'll put an extra long tow strap on the back of my car so you can try and hang on as i drive by.

your phone is ringing.

anyway....

like dave, i'm really intrigued by the S2000 as the next race car (but i'm 5 years away from that). i just want somebody else to try it out first so they can tell me if the thing will hold together and not chew through tires/brakes at that weight.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
    like dave, i'm really intrigued by the S2000 as the next race car (but i'm 5 years away from that). i just want somebody else to try it out first so they can tell me if the thing will hold together and not chew through tires/brakes at that weight.
    Seelig's building one. Don't think it'll be booger green though Might be done for next season
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

The car in the 13 hour was slow. Its lap times were well up in the 2:20's and the second driver was well into the 2:30's as if it was raining.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion