Thread: Are S2000's ITR competitive?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

At this point in history, ANY of the platforms - fully prepared and driven with talent - would be a winner, but that's because we're just in the early days of ITR evolution and the competition isn't very strong.

K

It is just hard to say at this point, with any of these cars. I've yet to see any ITR car (even very well driven ones) go significantly faster than an ITS car, if at all, so there clearly is a lot of work and development left in them. I have yet to see an ITR Supra or 300ZX, or 968, and I think all three could be way fast despite the weight. Same with a Boxster or an S2000.

Too many variables right now to know. The S2000 makes excellent power, near best in class, but probably won't respond very well to IT tweaks and is torque deficient. It kind of looks like the RX8 in many regards. We'll see.

Build one and find out! An expensive proposition in R isn't it?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

We have an ITR S2000 here in SFR. It's not a fully-built car (stock engine) and he's got limited racing experience (I think almost nothing other than the 20+ races he's done in the S2000 over the last 2 seasons), but he's been doing pretty well. I think it could be a good car. But as others have said, we have yet to see many fully-built ITR cars, other than ex-ITS E36 BMWs.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

I have access to an S2000 that has been running Honda Challenge in NASA. I race my Mustang in NASA and have been wanting a SCCA enduro car. I have owned an S2000 as a street drive and know them pretty well.

If they are not ITR friendly and that is the only IT class they are legal for, then I am not sure it makes a lot of sense for me.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

I am pretty sure they are in T2 or whatever it is called now as well.

No one is saying that they aren't ITR friendly. No one really knows at this point. Right now, R is interesting because it is the great unknown. No one really has any idea which car is the best or most competitive one for the class.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I am pretty sure they are in T2 or whatever it is called now as well.
    T2 is still called T2. But the S2000 is in T3.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

If you have access to it and don't have to build it from the ground up, well, that is a different proposition all together. If the milk is for free don't buy the cow to find out if she'll race.

I don't know how I'd fancy my chances with an S2000. The popular BMW's that make up the bulk of the current racing ITR class are at lighter weights, sport larger engines, and are well-known power producers.

Didn't someone just run an S2000 in the 13 hour? I could swear I saw one on track and commented about it on a thread here. You could have a look at their lap times and get a rough idea.

Ron