Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power steering and switches!!

VW Golfs, and Jetts, came both ways. The issue, is that the steering joint connector is not available. The rack is only cash , about 200$ for the manual, $300 for the PS rack.
    The manual steering shaft is very rare. And 20 years old.
    It just makes a lot more sense to allow the PS disconnect. IMHO. I am tired of the PS cars with "tossed belts".
    " It wont keep a belt on at 9000rpm"etc. Just take it off.
    Take a good look at the Miatas, and most of the IT cars, in the paddock.
    The owners are afraid to post here, fearing a Protest?.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I am tired of the PS cars with "tossed belts".
    MM
    Could be they are fearing a protest, because they'd lose. Same thing with a tossed belt. An SSC Neon was finished in the top 3 at the Runoffs in 2005, but the belt was no longer on the pump at impound. DQ.

We weigh cars after the race, not during the race, and the same is true with measuring any other compliance. You have to be compliant in impound, plain and simple. If the belt isn't on the engine when you get to impound, it doesn't matter whether it was there when you started the race. It's illegal.

My opinion, harsh as it may be, is that if you can't find the equipment you want on the market, and your car can't stay compliant for the duration of a 30 minute race, it's time to get another car, or move to another class.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    VW Golfs, and Jetts, came both ways. The issue, is that the steering joint connector is not available. The rack is only cash , about 200$ for the manual, $300 for the PS rack.
    The manual steering shaft is very rare. And 20 years old.
    It just makes a lot more sense to allow the PS disconnect. IMHO. I am tired of the PS cars with "tossed belts".
    MM
    The US MkIII Golf never came without PS. If you have documentation showing otherwise, by all means send it to me. I don't know about the earlier ones, honestly.

I know of one that is currently running illegally (pointed out to me at the 'festival). It would be the lowest of low-hanging fruit for a protest - no teardown bond!

:026:

K

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Finally, there's the old saw, "Choose what you run, carefully, then shut up and drive".

Exactly!

BTW Canadian A3 Golfs non-PS rack part # 191 419 329 A; USA PS rack # 1HM 422 055D

DZ

(A3 Golf with working PS)

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The US MkIII Golf never came without PS. If you have documentation showing otherwise, by all means send it to me. I don't know about the earlier ones, honestly.

I know of one that is currently running illegally (pointed out to me at the 'festival). It would be the lowest of low-hanging fruit for a protest - no teardown bond!

:026:

K
    Kirk, that driver is aware of the lack of consensus on the legality, and brings said documentation with him. I have not looked at it myself, but did have discussions about it long before the fest. I'm sure it was that way at the RA tech shed last month as well.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

What someone should do because that driver now does not want to share said information with anyone else is to look for sales documents stating that a canadian car was sold as "NEW" at a dealership in a small quantity. Never titled outside of the U.S., direct from the factory bare bones, very RARE and obscure U.S. car...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbidmk1 View Post
    ...because that driver now does not want to share said information with anyone else...
    You can buy that documentation by submitting a standardized form along with $25 (fees refundable after submission)...

Let me know next time he's at a track with me; I'll get it for you and you can reimburse me. - GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yo

Let me know next time he's at a track with me; I'll get it for you and you can reimburse me. - GA
    "these are the most powerful panties in the world, do you feel lucky punk?---well do ya'??":cool:
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbidmk1 View Post
    What someone should do because that driver now does not want to share said information with anyone else is to look for sales documents stating that a canadian car was sold as "NEW" at a dealership in a small quantity. Never titled outside of the U.S., direct from the factory bare bones, very RARE and obscure U.S. car...
    LOL. You know I'm a fan, Aaron and I love your spunk but I'm glad I'm not counting on that line of defense. I'm afraid that the only thing keeping you safe right now is that nobody has filed the paperwork but I'm not The Decider on that one.

K

Well first off I am not the person posting on the internet that they "were given a tip about someone with an illegal part". If you had an issue with it, you should have talked to me in person and we could have gone through my paperwork together, in person. This internet BS is a cheap, poor sportsman-like stab at someone and is how false reputations are created.

Keeping me safe? I have nothing to be afraid of and have nothing to hide, I was the one to tell you about the rack... Everyone knows that I have a manual steering rack in my car just like everyone knew you had an illegal cam and idler pulley on you engine. The only difference is that I have proof that my parts are legal. Do more research and find the stats and then make your claim.

Really none of this matters to me though, the car is already being converted to Production.

Sorry, Aaron - I didn't mean to piss you off.

I was serious about being an Aaron Stehly fan, and about being impressed that you have the stones to take the position that a Canadian Golf sold in the US qualifies its parts as legal. I don't buy it, and I think it's an eventual loser in the protest/appeal process, but you are TOTALLY within your right to try it.

Let's clear up the fact that the only conversation I had at the 'fest about manual racks was with Beran, when he told me about yours and asked if I thought it was legal. I told him "no," not knowing anything about your rationale until today. I'm getting old and senile but I'm pretty sure we didn't talk about it because I would have asked, and you would have shared what you knew. And while I should probably have taken the initiative to talk with you about it after Beran brought it up, I was preoccupied with my own issues, not least being that I was being an off-the-pace wanker.

And on the pulley issue - I totally deserve whatever abuse you and the rest of the community want to dish out about my dumb-assedness. You will NEVER get close to being as nasty about it as I've been with myself so go for it.

FINALLY, I am HONESTLY sorry that you're leaving ITB, for a lot of reasons - not the least being that you were going to be my likely pick for next year's ARRC win. (I think I was the only one to tab Deuce this year, so I'm on a roll.) You done a hell of a job in a short time but you haven't accomplished everything you should have in this category. As we DID talk about at Mid-O, I *personally* think Production isn't the right move for you - or anyone with your youth, talent, and drive, for that matter. I worry that you have unrealistic expectations - that it's somehow "moving up" in the game - but equally, I sincerely hope that it helps you achieve your goals.

Regardless, I'm sorry to see you leave IT. You brought a lot to the class that I try hard to help make a good place to race.

Best,

K

Thank you for the kind words. I may have gone off the handle just a bit, sorry if it pissed anyone off. I would totally stay in IT next year and go for the ARRC and IT fest but my regional series is almost dead. Chris is working on a new shell, Mike is putting his car together but I have no idea if he will be out, and because of the Runoffs, one of our double regionals has been converted to a National.

Aaron