Thread: SCCA accredited driving schools

Default SCCA accredited driving schools

hey everybody i just wanted to see if any body knows of a good cheap scca accredited driving school in california, washington or oregon what are their prices looking to get my novice license to race in ITS
    thanks in advance
    ismael

Since CalClub is your local region, start there. www.calclub.com. According to their schedule, they're having a school Feb 21/22 at Willow Springs. Up here in San Francisco Region, we're doing one at Thunderhill on the following weekend.

The SCCA schools are much cheaper than the accredited non-club schools.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

how much do they go for?

SFR's is $625. You'll have to contact CalClub to find out about theirs.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

ok thats not bad at all how many days is it usally? all i need to have is a roll cage and harness and my safty equipment correct?? i dont actually have to have my car build for ITS yet correct?

Your gonna need a car that has a log book.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

Quote Originally Posted by ismaelae86 View Post
    ok thats not bad at all how many days is it usally? all i need to have is a roll cage and harness and my safty equipment correct?? i dont actually have to have my car build for ITS yet correct?
    It would have to meet all the SCCA Safety requirements and (as mentioned) have a log book. Class legality isn't as important for your school though...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

as for a log book all i have to do is order one from my nearest regional office correct?

sorry for so many questions theres just so much to do that i dont want to miss anything lol my log book just has o be empty right??? and they fill it out?? sorry im new and i dont know what the log book is for or what to do with it
    Last edited by ismaelae86; 11-30-2008 at 03:47 PM.

I know it can seem overwhelming, getting everything done in time. That's why I'd recommend renting for the school. The school will be a full two day affair, where you'll have to attend class sessions between on track sessions. If you are still set on driving your own car, you'll at least need someone to crew for you as you won't even have time to gas up and go. I'm a one-man-band type racer and besides my car wasn't ready yet, so I went the rental route. There were several people in my school who drove their own car, those who were seccessful had a crew person. As for a log book, as long as you have an experienced person prepare your car, you should be able to get the log book on the morning before your first run. If you're doing the preperation yourself expect to not pass tech and have some fixing to do, and not make it through the school. BTW, for more indepth answers Cal Club has a "getting started" forum too:

http://www.calclub.com/forums/index.php?showforum=4
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

If you are renting a car for the school, I am sure the rental company will be astute enough to be certain the car has a current log book.

If you are building or borrowing, you will need to have the car inspected for saftey equiptment. Upon a sucessful inspection, the car will be issued a log book. You will be required to present a clean and current log book when you register when the event starts.

Your best bet is it contac the people in your region that I listed in that other thread which can direct you to local inspectors which can inspect and prossibly issue the log book.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

well imm have my roll cage professionally done... so i wont have to worry about that... so i should be good there, and i just need a bucket seat and 5 point harness for driver only right.. how much does rental cost and what companys do it?? the reason why id rather take my car is just cuz instead of using the money to rent a car id much rather use it to go towards my roll cage and seat and harness..thats a good idea to get the car inspected before hand

And a window net and a fire extinguisher and an electrical cutoff switch and rollbar padding, and belts and tow hooks and good plumbing if you have a fuel cell and a transponder....and, well, lots of stuff. Probably a fuel test port too. The car better be ready to race today when you go to get your log book. Not sort of ready, not ready for a track day. Ready to race today.

You definitely want to get your log book ahead of time. If you try to get it the day of the school, if the car doesn't pass, you are screwed. Are you really going to have time to fix anything the morning of school?

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to try to do a school in a brand new car. Something is going to break and then you will have wasted the time and money. If you can't at least do a track day with the car after it is complete, then you're asking for trouble.

jim

if your in So Cal, as mentioned above Cal Club would be your local region. I did my school with them, just this past February. Cost for school is $440, and its a double school so you get everything done in one weekend and can go racing at the March event.

You sound like you are in the same boat I was in. New car, no logbook etc, . If your car does not have a log book, don't wait to get it on the weekend of the school. I contacted the chief of tech and arranged to bring my car to the January event a few weeks before to get the car a log book. That way if their is something I missed I had time to fix it. I saw people getting their car teched on the day of the school, and it just added unnecessary stress to the day, because they did not have a separate tech for the school, so they had to wait in line along with all the people running the double regional that weekend. If your car is ready on Dec 13&14 they have an open test day at Buttonwillow, and the chief of tech will be their doing annuals so its a great time to shake the car down and get your tech or even just bring it in for its log book.

Another thing I recommend is, don't apply for your novice permit at the track the day of the school, because you just have to stand in line with the other 20 people that didn't apply before. I applied direct to Topeka, and had my Novice Permit book and everything done a month before the school so I didn't have to worry about last minute problems.

If using your own car(which I did) as said above, bring someone that knows the basics of a car to help you. I didn't think the weekend was as hectic as some have said, but if something goes wrong you don't want to be in panic mode as it will just ruin your weekend.

If you can't make the February school, an accredited school is Fast Lane, but it comes with a hefty price $1350 if using your own car
    http://www.raceschool.com/newsite2/d...INFOforweb.pdf

wow there is alot of stuff to do lol i dont think ill have enough time nor money to get all that done by feb.. i guess it would be best to just rent a car hopefully i can find a place that rents them out for not to much.... imma apply for my permit soon i just need to get my physical done...i need to call to see where i can get this done thanks for your help

If your looking to rent from a company(not private person) I would suggest 7's Only, http://www.sevensonly.com/ if you are familiar with Buttonwillow they are the shop on your left right after you enter the main gate. They bring a full trailer to the February school, as most people that rent, rent from them. They also bring several spare cars should something happen, so you know you will get through the school.

Best of luck

oh yeah i know exactly which ones u r talking about awesome..thanks

Ismael, if your car isn't ready for drivers school, don't push your luck, but rent a car that is reliable, and that somebody else is maintaining. This makes the entire process much easier to deal with.

Where are you located? If your in NorCal, then here is the link for rentals in San Francisco Region:

http://www.sfrscca.org/images/2008/R...alcars2008.pdf

Our drivers school is scheduled for Feb 27 - Mar 1

Here is the link to everything that you need for our Drivers School

http://www.sfrscca.org/index2.php?op..._pdf=1&id=4403

and

http://www.sfrscca.org/content/view/4403/90
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

well im actually in socal but i mihgt end up going to that school if i cant make cal club