Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hey everyone im new just got a quick ??

Default hey everyone im new just got a quick ??

hey everyone my name is ismael... and im new to the fourm and to scca, imma start building a ITS rx7 beginning of this upcoming year once i get my income tax and ive been read alot of the post and stuf like that and so far i just have two quick questions which are...can u remove sound deading tar, and second my rx7 was originally automatic and i converted it to manuel but autos and manuels have different tranny mounts so i had to make my own tranny mount will this break some sort of rule or regulation?? actually i have one more my dash has been changed out so it doesnt have the vin on there the only vin i got is the one the firewall...what should i do about this?? or should i just get another shell that has both vin plates? thanks in advance for ur help
    ismael

also are lexan hatches allowed??

Hello and welcome.....you made a good choice starting with a Second Gen RX7. Good, solid, reliable car.

One piece of advice. Before, during and after your build, read the ITCS section of the GCR many times. It's our rulebook, is very short and will answer most any questions a new guy building a car will have. For some of the unanswerable ones, come here, post and it and watch the debates begin...lol......

Reading the rules not only tells you what you can and can't do, but also may give you ideas about things you have not thought of. Rules are available for free, online, at www.scca.org.

To answer your specific questions, you should try to figure out a way to use a stock tranny mount on the RX7. I'm sure someone here has converted from auto to manual and can help you with that.

Second, no, lexan is not legal for windows/hatches.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

What Jeff Said ^^^^^

"Custom" tranny mount is illegal. Stock mount is legal.

Lexan = illegal

Vin plate shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck and have fun
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

awesome thanks for ur help...hmmm i dont know what to do about the tranny mount then cuz the mounting points are way off i mean they are like a good...5 inches apart i think, what i did was i got the manuel mount and the auto mount and 2 metal squares and welded it together and braced it up.... i hope the vin plate wont be a problem lol it would suck to build my car and find out it cant be used lol.. btw thanks for ur help...
    are we allowed to post project build ups on this fourm??

also whats the best header and exhuast pipe size gives the best power??

Quote Originally Posted by ismaelae86 View Post
    are we allowed to post project build ups on this fourm??
    Of course!
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Default no you can't

when i first started to learn the rx-7 stuff , i was told you could not convert auto to straight drive . the trans chassic mounts are diff. there are plenty of the straight drive cars out there. get one , and come in we (the other rx-7 racers & i ) will help you learn this car , so you can enjoy racing more. are you in the southeast ?

no im in southwest in socal... i know the tranny mount ive made doesnt work to well lol the tranny bounces a little bit... ive taken my car to a few redline event here in socal at willowsprings ive taken my corolla and my rx7,... heres a few pics of one of the event...

and here is the only pic i got of my corolla on the track going ccw

hopefully i can find a good shell for cheap and just move everything over, well mostly just the engine and trans and my hks coilovers, which i was wondering can i use my hks coilovers?? they hiper d springs rates are 6kg and 5kg im not sure what that would be in lbs

can u remove sound deadening tar?

yes , you can. bags of dry ice laid on area , then bump lighty with a hammer(not the dry ice). has worked for me. look at set-up for rx-7 in the mazda forum for the other stuff you wiil/could use for your car.

ok thank u very much

Since it hasn't been mentioned, if your car is configured the way the pictures show it the hood it considered illegal. Only Non turbo parts can be used, the TII hood would be out.

So would the bigger wheels and tires.....but that's easy stuff.
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing ITS #35

www.themotorsportshour.com
    "Road Racing on the Radio"
    WPRK 91.5 FM
    wprkdj.org

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a degenerating society" - Unknown

can u remove sound deadening tar?

DONT use an air chisel.....(ask me how I know:eek

I left my car outside for a few hours with air temp about 20. I was able to tap it with a hammer and it chipped right off.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

lol yeah i figured about the hood i have to look for a n/a aluminum hood to replace mine and yeah i gotta find me some 15x7 rims but i have decided which ones to get yet, i notice alot of people use kosei or something like that?? why is that?? are they really light or something?? i was thinking of getting some of those or some enkei RPF1 cuz they weigh like 9 pounds a pop which is pretty light i think well atleast compared to my 16's meshies and my 17 ponies lol, and i can run 225/45 sized tires correct? size is unrestricted

The air chisel/hammer works great. you do need it to be 10 outside though. Use the wide body side moulding bit and dont push hard when the thing stops. goes right thru the floor and then jams up. Built 4 first gen cars that way,just gets harder to find solid shells and cores.
    Dan

lol yeah i figured about the hood i have to look for a n/a aluminum hood to replace mine and yeah i gotta find me some 15x7 rims but i have decided which ones to get yet, i notice alot of people use kosei or something like that?? why is that?? are they really light or something?? i was thinking of getting some of those or some enkei RPF1 cuz they weigh like 9 pounds a pop which is pretty light i think well atleast compared to my 16's meshies and my 17 ponies lol, and i can run 225/45 sized tires correct? size is unrestricted

The Kosei K1's are very light for the price, but I don't think they are available anymore. Especially in the correct offset. As far as tires go the 225/45/15 size is the most ideal, but going to a 225/50/15 is also usable.
    Paul D'Angelo

i notice alot of people use kosei or something like that?? why is that?? are they really light or something??

Enkie's (sp?) They're 9 1/2 lbs and only $190 each if I remember right.

See Phil www.philstireservice.com He's one of us!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place