Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any body watch the VW TDI CUP show on Speed

Default Any body watch the VW TDI CUP show on Speed

I watched this show twice this past weekend. SCCA did a great job and told a really good story. I highly recomend watching this if you get a chance. This appeals to younger drivers and workers and I hope that something will come out of this. We need more exposure like this.

GREAT JOB VW and SCCA!

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca

I watched this also - outstanding - made me want to suit up and race.

The shame is that NASCAR has dominated Speed and we don't get to see enough of these outstanding road racing series. It was way more entertaining than any NASCAR race (and that's coming from a former stock car guy).

Cheers
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I watched this also - outstanding - made me want to suit up and race.

The shame is that NASCAR has dominated Speed and we don't get to see enough of these outstanding road racing series. It was way more entertaining than any NASCAR race (and that's coming from a former stock car guy).

Cheers
    Oh, I so wanted to see the drifting they had on speed.........NOT !!!:cool: I'm about ready to cancel that channel! drifting & nascar go hand in hand.....they both suck.

Yeah, saw that, great coverage!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Racing : Drifting
    100m Freestyle : Synchronized Swimming

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post
    Racing : Drifting
    100m Freestyle : Synchronized Swimming
    As a swimmer, let me expand on that a bit.

3 mile open ocean swim > 12 hour endurance race
    400 individual medley (100yds or mtrs of the fly, back breast and free) > roadracing
    100 IM > autocrossing
    50 Free > drag racing
    Drifting > synchronized swimming, or diving.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I had it on out in the garage this weekend. Very good show and a great supliment to the race coverage itself. One thing stood out to me. A really good driver spent $60k to finish 3rd in points. With all the crashes that they had throughout the season, that looked to be a spendy series. (I realize that it gets way more spendy as one goes higher up the ladder.)

VW and SCCA did a good job with this series and the races were "action packed". That makes for good TV for the masses.

Default Drifting

Speed TV also did a great job on Formula Drift series. I loved the person waving the starting flag!!! Our flaggers look a bit different??

Now they have to get rid of Wrecked on Speed or play it less. Between all the runs of Wrecked and Pinks the channel is getting boring. Enough is enough. We need to find a strong partner for SCCA so that we can get more shows up with better airtimes.

I guess we will start with Pro It

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RexRacer19 View Post
    I had it on out in the garage this weekend. Very good show and a great supliment to the race coverage itself. One thing stood out to me. A really good driver spent $60k to finish 3rd in points. With all the crashes that they had throughout the season, that looked to be a spendy series. (I realize that it gets way more spendy as one goes higher up the ladder.)

VW and SCCA did a good job with this series and the races were "action packed". That makes for good TV for the masses.
    Yep, that's what jumped out to me too... $60k for what, 8 races? I understand that includes travel and crash damage but damn that's some serious coin.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

It's seems expensive, but, do some math, and if you can find a cheaper televised series that has the same possible payout at the end, you're doing well.

My only complaint is that the cars are too easy to drive. DSG trannies, and ABS. Blech.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

170 hp, 260 ft lbs, 2800 lbs. Is that with driver?

THey were running about 2:14 to 2:15 at VIR. That's pretty damn good.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    It's seems expensive, but, do some math, and if you can find a cheaper televised series that has the same possible payout at the end, you're doing well.
    True... cheap for what it is but that's still a metric ton of $$ for a "starter" series. It just serves to underscore how expensive getting into racing can be.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    My only complaint is that the cars are too easy to drive. DSG trannies, and ABS. Blech.
    Would there have been any cars left in the end without all of that stuff then?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    170 hp, 260 ft lbs, 2800 lbs. Is that with driver?

THey were running about 2:14 to 2:15 at VIR. That's pretty damn good.
    Isn't that about the same times as ITS cars?

I only run VIR at the Goblins Go, so the track is not ideal for fast times, but ITS cars are a good bit lighter, nowhere near the torque and about 2 seconds slower. It think they had some go fast tires on those cars though. I may be wrong, but they looked pretty big/trick compared to the 50 series Hoosiers we are running. Maybe I am being fooled by the stenciled insignia and "tuner" wheels in large diameter low profiles.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    Now they have to get rid of Wrecked on Speed or play it less. Between all the runs of Wrecked and Pinks the channel is getting boring.
    I second that. I can't stand that annoying scripted spin off of OCC. It's seems like it's always on. Typical angry meathead dad runs the business. How exciting is a bunch of tow trucks anyway? Seriously... "Duh we had to go an use the winch cuz the truck was stuck Der Duh..."

Pinks sucks too. Probably would have done much better if it wasn't on every 2 hours. WTF!!!!! Speed has been erased from my tivo for now.

Fuel TV for life.
    Tristan Herbert
    2011 World Challenge TC Rookie of the Year
    2011 ARRC ITB Champion
    2011 IT Fest ITB Champion
    2009 MARRS - ITB Champion
    BRIMTEK/Germanautoparts.com

They run about a minute flat at Lime Rock, which is pole time in an ITS car. They have odd suspension characteristics. At the NJMP event, they appeared to 'bounce' a lot. Turn in hard, and the chassis takes a roll, and seems to bounce. And the same on braking. Go off course, and it's especially prevalent.

It kinda looks like they are under damped.

Yes, less cars at the end would have been fine if it made the skill set of the drivers more important.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Well done IMO. It was fun to watch and looked like a ton of fun to drive.
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackaman View Post
    It think they had some go fast tires on those cars though. I may be wrong, but they looked pretty big/trick compared to the 50 series Hoosiers we are running. Maybe I am being fooled by the stenciled insignia and "tuner" wheels in large diameter low profiles.
    Mike
    They run the exact same tires at the Porsche Supercup guys run, but use the "fronts" on all for corners. So, they are a true slick tire. From my understanding, the suspensions are a spec style with either few or no adjustments. They were allowed air pressure adjustments within a certain range and were limited to the amount of tires they could use.

Hi guys, I'm Josh Hurley who won the championship (some of you might know me I run with Paul Ronie and David Liera alot. The cars were very underdamped as stated. At some tracks they were undersprung as well, at Road Atlanta the cars were on the bump stops through every corner. There were no adjustments except for tire pressure and even that was limited. As far as budget goes, it really is the cheapest thing going I spent about 48 k including travel and damge which is pretty unbeatable in pro racing. It's funny about them being easy to drive, I found the DSG harder to go quick with than a normal transmission due to how high the "safter" was set on the down shifts. It made you wait to down shift to prevent overrevs, but the wait was set about 1000 rpm to high, which on a diesel is quite alot. The abs was also not helpful as if you got into it, the car would just not stop well. I got to test a Rolex GT car after the season was over and found that much easier to drive. The series was very fair however as we all learned how to drive around what the car was doing.