Thread: Enduro dates for 2009?

Default Enduro dates for 2009?

I was wondering if there have been any enduro dates fixed for 2009 yet? I plan on running one or two events in the northeast (I live in Montreal) with my ITS Civic, preferably two 6 hours or one 6 and one 12. I'm trying to tentatively plan my 2009 season.

Also, any recommendations on which events are the most fun would be welcome.

Thanks for any info.

How far south are you interested in coming...?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    How far south are you interested in coming...?

K
    Hi Kirk. The absolute furthest would be VIR (14 hour drive). Summit Point is a couple of hours closer.

The VIR 13 will be Oct 31-Nov 1 - come on down and we can share pit space. If you need more support than that, we can probably work something out with the Conover Motor Sports crew.

I haven't seen a date for the Summit 12 hours yet. How about the Longest Day at Nelson Ledges - that should actually be a pretty straight shot for you, although I haven't seen a date on it yet either.

K

The 12hrs At The Point is scheduled for June 12-13, 2009.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

Thanks for the offer and the dates. Nelson Ledges is about 1000 km away, so closer than VIR and Summit Point. I just don't think I'm ready for a 24-hour event, even though it's my dream to participate in one. The longest race I've done so far is 3 hours, so I think that a 6 and 12 would be a realistic goal for 2009.

Vince

If you were going to do a 12 and a 13, that's more than a 24.

The biggest issue is feeding and resting the crew. Other than that, prepare your car so it will run two medium-sized enduros - which shouldn't' be to hard with a Civic Si - and you''re set.

K

Do you think there will be a Longest Day? Entries have been pretty sparse last two years and there were rumors of the track being sold and modified.

I guess I'd assumed that the writing on the wall would indicate that the 2008 race was the last one we'd see. I'm curious if others have heard differently.

Vince - look at New England region, the often do a 3-4 hour towards the end of August at NHMS which isn't too far from you (all things relative). Also check out EMRA's schedule too.

I'm trying to be confident about it - even though we had to give it a pass this year because of a lack of co-driver interest.

K

Well , it doesn't look good for the 24 at Nelson. I talked to Scott Lane the other day and we are trying to figure out what to do. The poor attendance last year along with the economy is making us think twice about having it this year. We are maybe thinking about twin 6 hours or just a 12 or an 8 hour. Suggestions would be very hekpful as to what type of event everyone would like to see.

The ECS is not looking very good at this time as well. Lack of entries last year along with the above mentioned problems is keeping sponsors form the series. I could keep it going for 2009 with just doing points and a small registration fee ($5-$10) to cover the cost or we could charge a bit more and put money into a points fund or ???

Should probley have started a new thread on this but I didn't .

Roland

You know my particular issues with the ECS, Roland - and they are NOT with the concept generally, as I think we demonstrated that we were a big supporter in Year 1. (My address hasn't changed if "Brand K" decides to shake loose that $$.)

I'd propose, particularly in light of the economic situation, going to a low-drag version of the series - minimal dough to support someone maintaining points and a web site, maybe some press releases. Let it gain some following in concept, then when things get better there will be a product in place that might attract series sponsors. I'd be willing to help out a little with that kind of model.

In terms of the LD, make it a 12-hour race that ends early enough in the weekend that we can have a 12-hour party afterward. Two sixes costs just as much as 12, so there's no benefit to that. I think it's important to hang onto its place in the calendar and spirit of the thing. I'm WAY more able to pull together the driver commitment for a 12 than for a 24.

K

Speaking as another team that pulled out of the 24 at the last minute this year; it was the money. Our team couldn't afford 24 hours worth of tires, pads and gas. We did make the 12 and the 13 this year and would go to Nelson Ledges for a 12 and 12 (Race and K's suggestion).
    Chuck

Default A few more details about the 12hrs @ the Point

I have a few more details for you about the Summit 12hr after our committee meeting last night.

Biggest change--the race will be run from 9am - 9pm. Given that the race is a week before the Summer Solstice, there will likely be no real "night" driving. There were many reasons for making the change, but having taken into account what we've seen at some of the other enduros vis-a-vis declining car counts, the decreased cost of prepping a car for night running, and the decreased cost and effort of prepping a pit stall for night running, we hope to see some new cars out there and perhaps some cars that haven't been with us for a while.

Next biggest change--we won't be asking for the full entry fee up front.

We hope to have a draft (unapproved) version of the supps available shortly and the current plan is to open registration in early February.
    Gregg Ginsberg
    '96 Civic EX -- MARRS ITA #72
    WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003
    MARRS ITA/T3 Drivers rep

A lot of useful info here. I guess it will come down to Summit vs VIR.

VIR
    Plus: I've been there before, high car count
    Minus: more than 200 miles further from home than Summit

Summit
    Plus: closer to home, no need to install fancy lighting system
    Minus: lower car count

I will try to attend an early SCCA event at Lime Rock or VIR (April, May, June) to get my car logbooked with the SCCA, as these are my two closest tracks for SCCA events. I think it would be too stressful to show up at my first long enduro without being sure the SCCA approves of my car (cage design, etc.).

If the Longest day takes place, I might be interested in crewing to get a feel for that type of event.

I freakin love enduros! Can't wait for 2009!

NASA Southeast will have an full enduro schedule for 2009. First race is a three hour race at Carolina Motorsports Park on February 6th.

We will also have enduros at Road Atlanta(3 of them including the 8 hour race in Dec.), Barber, Lowe's Motor Speedway, +.

Rob Bodle
    Rob Bodle Images, LLC
    RBI Competition

2007 ARRC Three hour "not a real" Enduro ITO Co-Champion.
    2009 ARRC ITO Champion.
    2009 ARRC Enduro Pole Winner
    2010 ARRC ITO Champion(car owner for Cliff Brown)
    2011 ARRC ITO Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    there will likely be no real "night" driving
    but that's the best part....
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

Just received e-mail from Duane Harrington -RE of NEOhio- .
    They have a 12 Hour Enduro at Nelson Ledges scheduled for 22 August 2009.
    Last year's 24 race incurred big $$ losses for both track and Region, so this time it's 12 w/ the hope that enough teams will enter to keep this type of racing viable.
    Iron Dragon will enter - how many others??
    Bill Miskoe - Iron Dragon Racing.

Yes. Duane Harrington is correct. I as well am on the NEOHIO board of trustees.

It is going to be a 12 hour enduro on Saturday.

They are also planning a single regional on Sunday. And talk is that the regional will be half price if you enter the 12 hour.

But dont quote me on the regional quite yet. If I find out anymore, I will let you all know