Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ITR Prelude build thread

I know what santa is bringing us since our belts on our enduro car are done.Very nice.

Well not to much happening with the holidays I got my transmission in today it was hard to find the correct one for the 93-96 vtec, but I found a nice one and it already has a Quafie LSD installed.

I'm also very happy the ITAC fixed the specs for the vtec preludes in ITR.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Uhlinger

So I am doing some brain storming and some measuring of the car and it looks like I might be able to fit the 275/35R15's up front but no way in the back. I don't want to buy custom wheels right now so I am trying to decide between

Option # 1
    245/40R17's on a 17 x 8.5" wheel.

Pros:
    It looks like it can be run front and back, (I will be confirming this in the next couple weeks).
    The 245/40 is a very common size offered by every manufacturer I have checked which makes for lots of tire choices.
    17 x 8.5" is a readily available wheel size.

Cons:
    Tire is 24.7 inches tall so about .8" taller than stock.
    Not as wide as the 275.

Option # 2
    275/35R15 up front on a 15X8 with a 225 on a 15 x 8 in the back?

pros:
    Wider fronts then the 245's
    Shorter tire 23" might not even need to buy a final drive with a tire this short.

Cons:
    Cannot find a off the shelf 15x8.5"
    I cannot rotate them and even the 15 x 8 wheels are harder to come by then the 17x8.5's

What would you guys do? Are the 275's squeezed onto the 8" wheel even worth it? I am thinking the 245 on the 8.5" wheel might be better, but don't know.
    Mike Uhlinger

For lots of reasons, I think option 1 is better. Especially as there is doubt about the effectiveness of shoving a 275 on an 8" rim...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Mike - typically, it's just easier to have 4 matching tires under the thing. also, the shorter tire is nicer like a final drive, but typically nowhere near as drastic.

examples: (vs 205/55R15 w/4.06 FD as from facory) - % effect, positive is akin to a higher numeric FD number.
    205/55R15 w/ 4.64 FD (king, etc..): 12.5%
    225/45R15 w/ factory FD: 3.8%
    245/40R17 w/ factory FD: -3.5%
    245/50R15 w/ factory FD: -3.2%
    245/50R15 w/ 4.64 FD: 9.7%
    225/45R15 w/ 4.64 FD: 15.8%
    225/45R15 w/ factory FD: 3.8%

these numbers are not at all exact - BUT, it looks like you would still want the 4.64 FD, and switch between 245/50R15 and 225/45R15 (if both fit the car...) for ratio changes at different tracks. you can fit them on 15x8 OR 15x7 wheels (snug for the 245s).

just my $0.02

#1 sounds easier while #2 will likely be faster (even more so if you get some custom 15x8.5's). With the amount of front weight your car will have plus the power output, I'd think you'd want to shove on as much tire as possible up front, run smaller tires in the back to cut down on push, and then balance the car with rear spring/bar and camber. D-Stock Type-R autcrossers have seen grip advantages running the 275's on a 6" wide wheel... is an 8" wide wheel ideal? Nope, but if it's the best you can do, then I'd just go with it.

Some additional food for thought is that you wouldn't really need an 8" wide wheel in the back... you could run easy to find 15x7's in the rear with 225/45's. This means you really only need one set of 15x8's up front to try this setup out and see how it works.

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

hmmmm... decisions decisions one other problem with the the 275's is they are only available from hoosier the other size makes for way more choices in brand.

I probably won't be making this one until the last minute but thanks for the input guys every different view helps.
    Mike Uhlinger

hmmm first weight in with out any interior and just the roll hoop puts the car at 2430lbs:eek:

So I need to get the car to 2370 (2570 - 200 = 2370)

already 60lbs over and this was without the cage, dash, seat, harness, fire system, accusump, larger VTEC model brakes, larger rear sway bar, sunroof cover, gauges, etc...

all I have left to take out is the A/C compressor, stock exhaust, and ABS, new wheels will save about 20lbs. (so how much weight does that undercoating save again?)lol

That 2570 is looking hard to make will see what happens when I am all done.
    Mike Uhlinger

Well... have you removed:

Sound deadening (25-30#'s)
    Hood latch and cable
    AC wiring (condenser already out?)
    Cruise control and wiring
    Stereo wiring
    Sunroof assembly/wiring/switch/etc
    Hand brake and cables

The wiring work up above should save you about 5-7#'s. Rear bar can be hollow... may not weigh more than stock. Any chance at a hollow front bar? Your new exhaust and header sounds like another great place to save some weight... go as light and short as possible. Re-plumbing the brakes without the ABS should also net some significant weight savings. A fuel cell is another place to save some weight. Cage construction will also be a great place to focus on strong but light.

Christian, who ended up with a bunch of this type of crap going into his car... the small savings add up.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Well... have you removed ... Cruise control and wiring?
    That's legal because of some sort of update/backdate/model conversion? Because it's not generally legal in IT as far as I can tell.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    That's legal because of some sort of update/backdate/model conversion? Because it's not generally legal in IT as far as I can tell.
    Crap I took out the cruise control? I threw it away, but I don't see it in the rules I thought I read that. Darn it now I have to go buy a cruise control unit.

EDIT: yup I see I got mixed up with the Honda Challenge rules so I guess I will be going to a junk yard and getting a cruise control unit. That is another reason I started this thread to point out if I do anything illegal accidently. Thanks Josh.

EDIT2: 20 bucks on EBAY no big =)
    Last edited by ekim952522000; 01-15-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Mike Uhlinger

Cage is done, and the seat is mounted I thought I would throw some pics up for you guys before I painted it. Mike Lock at Calculated Risk did the cage and did a Amazing job. There were allot of design challenges do to me being 6'2" tall.
    Mike Uhlinger

We also had to pay attention and make sure the cage was SCCA and NASA legal. Oh yeah and the tubing is 1.75 x .095.
    Mike Uhlinger

Got the dash fitted tonight not very exciting but since the 92-96 prelude dash is one my favorite dashes I thought I would throw up a picture
    Mike Uhlinger

So got 99% of the interior painted going to do some touch up this weekend.

Has anyone tried that Lamin-x cage film stuff I am trying to avoid my cage getting all scratched up like it did on my last car?

Also anyone have any ideas for the drivers feet area to stop it from looking like crap? Right now I am probably going to do a aluminum diamond plate "floor mat" any other ideas?
    Mike Uhlinger

Looks good Mike. I am really curious to see how you do in this car. Should be a blast to drive.
    Jeremy Billiel

I had diamond plate in my first car but ditched it in the rebuild to safe a pound or two. I use skateboard tape now. Put it on fresh paint and it really sticks.

K

Kirk, what is skateboard tape and, as an old fart about to turn 40, am I cool enough to use it?

Seriously, did it work for you? Link to whatever this stuff is?

Thanks.

And P.S. -- MIke that Lude looks awesome. I always liked the looks of those cars -- hid the fact that the drivetrain was all backwards and stuff quite well...lol......

Good work on that thing.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Skateboard tape is adhesive backed sandpaper, if you will. Also known as non slip tape. (I'm surprised a Lawyer doesn't know this. The lack of it in certain areas can be considered negligence and can win suits!)

Go to BLowes or Home Dspot and look for it. Comes 2" wide or more I think.

I too have no love for the diamond plate stuff.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post

And P.S. -- MIke that Lude looks awesome. I always liked the looks of those cars -- hid the fact that the drivetrain was all backwards and stuff quite well...lol......

Good work on that thing.
    LOL. I always thought they looked like a RWD supra. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Looks good Mike. I am really curious to see how you do in this car. Should be a blast to drive.
    I think it is gonna be a blast to drive will see how it does in ITR.

I am planning to have this one finished by end of march then I will be starting a ITS prelude for my wife (well we are getting married in January).
    Mike Uhlinger