Thread: ITR Prelude build thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hmmmm... decisions decisions one other problem with the the 275's is they are only available from hoosier the other size makes for way more choices in brand.

I probably won't be making this one until the last minute but thanks for the input guys every different view helps.
    Mike Uhlinger

hmmm first weight in with out any interior and just the roll hoop puts the car at 2430lbs:eek:

So I need to get the car to 2370 (2570 - 200 = 2370)

already 60lbs over and this was without the cage, dash, seat, harness, fire system, accusump, larger VTEC model brakes, larger rear sway bar, sunroof cover, gauges, etc...

all I have left to take out is the A/C compressor, stock exhaust, and ABS, new wheels will save about 20lbs. (so how much weight does that undercoating save again?)lol

That 2570 is looking hard to make will see what happens when I am all done.
    Mike Uhlinger

Well... have you removed:

Sound deadening (25-30#'s)
    Hood latch and cable
    AC wiring (condenser already out?)
    Cruise control and wiring
    Stereo wiring
    Sunroof assembly/wiring/switch/etc
    Hand brake and cables

The wiring work up above should save you about 5-7#'s. Rear bar can be hollow... may not weigh more than stock. Any chance at a hollow front bar? Your new exhaust and header sounds like another great place to save some weight... go as light and short as possible. Re-plumbing the brakes without the ABS should also net some significant weight savings. A fuel cell is another place to save some weight. Cage construction will also be a great place to focus on strong but light.

Christian, who ended up with a bunch of this type of crap going into his car... the small savings add up.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Well... have you removed ... Cruise control and wiring?
    That's legal because of some sort of update/backdate/model conversion? Because it's not generally legal in IT as far as I can tell.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    That's legal because of some sort of update/backdate/model conversion? Because it's not generally legal in IT as far as I can tell.
    Crap I took out the cruise control? I threw it away, but I don't see it in the rules I thought I read that. Darn it now I have to go buy a cruise control unit.

EDIT: yup I see I got mixed up with the Honda Challenge rules so I guess I will be going to a junk yard and getting a cruise control unit. That is another reason I started this thread to point out if I do anything illegal accidently. Thanks Josh.

EDIT2: 20 bucks on EBAY no big =)
    Last edited by ekim952522000; 01-15-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Mike Uhlinger

Cage is done, and the seat is mounted I thought I would throw some pics up for you guys before I painted it. Mike Lock at Calculated Risk did the cage and did a Amazing job. There were allot of design challenges do to me being 6'2" tall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Uhlinger

We also had to pay attention and make sure the cage was SCCA and NASA legal. Oh yeah and the tubing is 1.75 x .095.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Uhlinger