Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunroof Removal

Default Sunroof Removal

I've got a question on the sunroof removal rule. I'm building an Integra GS-R for ITS. GS-Rs always came with a sunroof. The Integra RS was offered without a sunroof, but is listed in ITA. Is it legal to reskin the roof of the GS-R with an RS skin?

I believe the "All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or *replacement skin* [emphasis mine] of the same material as the original surrounding roof material" line in rule 8f allows me to, but I've heard others express different opinions.

And the entire rule, for reference:

8f. Convertible tops and attaching hardware shall be completely removed. Note: Convertible model cars are permitted if they were only available as convertibles (e.g. MG Midget), or if the convertible model is specifically allowed on the vehicle spec line. Convertible models may compete with their respective OEM hardtop. All latches shall be replaced with positive fasteners. Manual and electric sunroofs, original or aftermarket, where the panel is not normally removable shall be retained and run in the closed position. Components (motors, cables, rails) may be removed provided the panel is securely retained. Removable
    sunroof or T-top may be retained if bolted or welded in, or removed completely. Glass sunroofs must be removed. All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.

That is a grey area. You are not alowed to perform modifications outside yoru spec line but yet you are replacing it with fatory sheet metal. That other than a sun roof provsision is idential. I believe that this would be 100% legal to the word if the a GSR came without a sun roof and you were to swap one on. I doubt highly that you would be called out on it, but I would like to see what others think. It does say however that you can remove all compents including the rails thus makign the roof identical to a RS roof with the exception of a small hole
    Last edited by quadzjr; 10-23-2008 at 05:33 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I believe this would be akin to puttin a 99 dif in a 90 Miata. The cars are on different spec lines, but the dif is open. no pun intended

check that, I just reread the rule for a third time. The rule allows only for replacement of the sunroof panel, not the entire roof...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by jdi View Post
    I'm building an Integra GS-R for ITS.
    Don't do it; you'll be sorry...

Is it legal to reskin the roof of the GS-R with an RS skin?
    I'll copy-paste here what I wrote in the Sandbox:

Originally Posted by krbobcat
    Are you guys building another ITS GSR or a ITA RS/LS/GS? If it's going to be a ITS GSR, the general consensus has been that it's supposed to have a sunroof hole.
    Trust me: it will start with a sunroof hole. However, our patching and repair job will be so flawless - so divine - as to appear to be a singular sheet of stamped steel. I, personally, will supervise the contracted old-school Italian craftsman who will trim, cap, weld, and grind, sand, and paint the repair to its penultimate completion - to my extreme satisfaction, of course, or he will face the whip, as many times as necessary.

Of course, once Geppeto's job is done, he will be rewarded handsomely. His craftsmanship will be such that I dare you - DARE YOU UNDER THE THREAT OF DEATH ITSELF, YOU DOG! - to prove that there was a sunroof there before. And, afterwards, you will marvel, simply marvel, and beg Kakashi Racing to contract the services of him for yourselves.

Hey, just sayin'...

P.S. Oh, and he's going to do the same thing with the auto-tranny hole, as soon as he gets done with that damnable puppet.

No matter how well your servents did on patching the roof it will be noticable. unless they remove parts of the roof that was to provide strucatal support for the once sun roof. If they were to remove said pieces then it would be just as illegal as having your "patch" consist of the enitre roof.

It mentions "replacement skin" what exactly does mean? That is later requried to be the same material as the original roof material around it. So if your patch was identical material thickness and metalurgy and you were to only use the center section of the roof wouldn't that be legit?
    Last edited by quadzjr; 10-23-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

2008 GCR
    9.1.3.8.f. pg GCR - 338

Convertible tops and attaching hardware shall be completely removed. Note: Convertible model cars are permitted if they were only available as convertibles (e.g. MG Midget), or if the convertible model is specifically allowed on the vehicle spec line. Convertible models may compete with their respective OEM hardtop. All latches shall be replaced with positive fasteners. Manual and electric sunroofs, original or aftermarket, where the panel is not normally removable shall be retained and run in the closed position. Components (motors, cables, rails) may be removed provided the panel is securely retained. Removable
    sunroof or T-top may be retained if bolted or welded in, or removed completely. Glass sunroofs must be removed. All sunroofs may be replaced with panel or replacement skin of the same material as the original surrounding roof material.

Sounds ok to me. Same material, who cares where it came from
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

With respect to Gepetto - and not knowing what the details inside a sunroof-equipped Acura roof look like - I think that there is indeed a difference between what's described by the rule and re-roofing.

When I did Pablo I, we went for a "hide it in plain sight" approach, using a single sheet of material the same thickness of the roof (a hair thicker, actually), just large enough to have a flange for riveting. We then painted it black to look like the original tinted moon roof.

The Golf III DID come without a sunroof so on Pablo II we used that option. If it had not, we could have skinned but I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea that cutting out the structure under the hole would be legal.

K

I'm going to side with Dr Khaos and Quadzjr here... the allowance for replacement skin doesn't say anything about removing the sunroof reinforcement structure around where the sunroof used to be. Now if tGA is planning to have Geppeto leave that structure in place, I think he'll be just fine.
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    I'm going to side with Dr Khaos and Quadzjr here... the allowance for replacement skin doesn't say anything about removing the sunroof reinforcement structure around where the sunroof used to be. Now if tGA is planning to have Geppeto leave that structure in place, I think he'll be just fine.
    I know Geppeto worked on my ITA integra, and you cannot even tell there used to be a sunroof there. He does amazing work. Its *almost* like its all one solid panel, well except that we KNOW its not.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Now when you are in the car and look up can you see the rolled factory sheet metal? If geppeto were to make it nice and flat and not noticable he would of had to remove it thus being jsut as illegal as a re-skin.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    Now when you are in the car and look up can you see the rolled factory sheet metal? If geppeto were to make it nice and flat and not noticable he would of had to remove it thus being jsut as illegal as a re-skin.
    He knocked it flat against the sheetmetal to the point where its almost invisible to the naked eye.

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

Interesting... now I know how I'll always be able to beat you.

Christian, who says "on the track or in the shed".

...except that (I think) some of the Integras on the ITA spec line came WITHOUT a sunroof.

That's not the problem, thanks to update/backdate. The issue here is the GS-R in ITS, all of which DID have the roof. It's two different situations so the outcome of applying the rule is different.

Or am I missing something...???

K

No, you nailed it Kirk. I forgot about the RS being on the same spec line for the A cars.

ITA Teg= RS, LS, GS... RS came without a sunroof.
    ITA CRX/Civic Si with a sunroof only.
    ITS Teg=GSR with a sunroof only.

I'm a bit confused about the confusion here.

First, the rules specifically state "replacement skins" are allowed, so no one can gripe about someone choosing to replace the whole top with a single piece of steel. In other words, "re-roofing" is allowed vis-a-vis the part you see from the outside.

Second, you're worried about the "structure" underneath the reskinned panel? There's actually less structure (thus, less weight) with a sunroof car, because all the manufacturer effectively does is cut a hole in the non-sunroof car and add a bunch of mechanical devices (which are allowed to be removed) to activate the sunroof. So that's a non-issue.

Invariably, however, as part of the sunroof mods at the factory, there's a light stamped-steel transverse cross brace that gets bisected, a brace designed to keep the sunroof from "oil canning" and making noise. With the sunroof car, this "oil canning" is prevented by flanging the roof skin around the hole opening, and designing sunroof mounting bracketry for stiffness.

So, since the roof panel can be replaced, obviously this flange will be removed, and all this bracketry will be removed.

So, that leaves only that stamped transverse bracket that's going through where the sunroof hole used to be; is that the part you're worried about? So, if someone were to bi/trisect that bracket and cut it out like it is in the sunroof car, you'd be OK with that?

Go find an LS and an RS Integra (or a sunroof and non-sunroof GTi, or a sunroof and non-sunroof Sentra SE-R) and compare the underside roof differences. I'm bettin' they're all the same, except for the hole, the hole flanges, and possibly that one lightweight transverse bracket.

I see where you're going, but this is seriously a non-issue. - GA

Model differences then. There's actually a subframe kind of affair on the sunroof Golfs that isn't on the non-roof versions.

K

well at this point it is clear that it all depends on how you interpet the rule...

I already gave my view earlier, you guys hash it out
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Model differences then. There's actually a subframe kind of affair on the sunroof Golfs that isn't on the non-roof versions.
    On A2, the back half of the roof has what is in effect an inner roof panel and the sunroof goes back between that panel and the outer skin. A3 prob the same

Greg, not all cars are created equal sunroof-wise. Soem cars have lift out sunroofs. With those, you can:

A- Just reskin the upper sunroof panel area.
    B- Reroof the car with the roof of a non sunroof version, IF it's on the same spec line.

Cars with lift out roof panels have significant reinforcing stampings spot welded to the roof structure, gutters, and the like, and the actual weight savings is dependent upon going all the way. The actual lift out part is only half the game.

But, if the car in question, as described by the spec line, never came without a sunroof, then reskinning is the only option, and the reinforcing stampings must remain, in my opinion.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 10-25-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I am going to play devils advoateand use the vin rule as my catalyst. Say you find 99' DX chassis and wanted to run ITS (99'si)

Since the infrastrure for the sunroof is not there would it be illegal?
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]