Thread: ITE rules

Default ITE rules

Had a brainstorm the other day about the lack of parts for 12A rotaries. Was wondering if you could do an engine swap on a first gen Rx7 and run in ITE? I've been thinking about a 302 Ford engine, but not sure I want to run in SPO. Ideas?

Scott Franklin
    www.NutDriver.org
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I believe the ITE rules vary from division to division. The rules in SOWDIV are very simple and short...

Cars eligible for ITE are production based cars with fenders and doors that are not currently eligible for any other SCCA club racing class. Cars entered in ITE must meet minimum safety standards of the 2008 GCR and Improved Touring Category Specifications, ITCS, including all items in Section 9.1.3, ITCS. Suitability of any car for ITE is subject to the approval of the Chief Steward and Chief Scrutineer. The maximum engine displacement for normally aspirated cars is 3,500 cc. Turbo-Charging or Super-Charging is allowed with a maximum displacement of 2,500 cc. Rotary engines are limited to two (2) rotors.

http://www.sowdivscca.org/rules.aspx
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Hey Scott,

The rules vary from region to region and in NC they are:

"
    ITE – In the interest of maximizing the opportunities for SCCA members to race and enjoy their cars, some of which may not fit into one of the “recognized” SCCA classes, NC Region supports the inclusion of the ITE class for regional racing. For the NC Region, the ITE standards are that a car meets the rules for the class in which it was designed to run and achieves safety standards equivalent to those established in SCCA’s GCR. All potential ITE cars must be approved by a Nationally licensed NC Region Scrutineer/Tech to enter a NC Region race. It is highly recommended that anyone considering entering an ITE car in a NC Region event contact NC Region Chief of Tech, Buddy Matthews at 336-312-8858 or [email protected]"

I'm planning on running a Ford 302 in ITE and have spoken to the correct folks to get that in progress. We don't have a 3.5L limit in the NCRSCCA.

Ron

San Francisco Region:

ITE – Improved Touring E
    The only IT rules that apply to ITE are those listed below.
    1. Any tub chassis production vehicle running with DOT tires.
    2. Preparation Rules: International Sedans may modify the floor pan/rocker panel sections.
    3. Cars must meet or exceed the Showroom Stock or IT safety requirements of the current General Competition Regulations.

So if you have a version of ITE somewhere that requires the car be built to a published class spec, then pick SFR's ITE, and then you can do anything you want.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

SEDIV (which also includes NCR if I recall correctly :cool has the ITO class, the rules for which can be found here:

http://www.sedivracing.org/2009SEDiv...ClassRules.pdf

Although a 302-powered RX-7 is not one of the cars currently recognized, it certainly COULD be.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

DC region is pretty tight on ITE cars. They have a list of pro series that the car had to have been elligible to have run in. And you have to come up w/ a rule book for that series showing your car and its configuration in that series.

So it depends on where you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    SEDIV (which also includes NCR if I recall correctly :cool has the ITO class, the rules for which can be found here:
    Is the ITE designation or class going to be turned into ITO?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Is the ITE designation or class going to be turned into ITO?

Ron
    ITO was recognized as a SARRC class for the 2008 season (which started in October 2007), so NCR should have been running it already (and I'm pretty sure they did, at least for Mother's Day weekend). Whether they want to keep ITE as a separate class is up to them, but ITO is intended to be the "catch all" class just as ITE tends to be.

In Atlanta Region we also have ITU because we felt we needed to split the "catch all" into two classes. We haven't had a LOT of participation in either class to date, but they are there for those that want to run a tub-based car on DOT tires that otherwise falls outside the IT ruleset (fuel-injected Pony cars, Honda Challenge - we recently had a question from a NASA PTA competitor, for instance).

It's all part of our never-ending quest to be all things to all people.
    Butch Kummer

Default Thanks all

Thanks to all, especially to Ron E and Butch K, since they're in my backyard. I've sent an e-mail to Herb O'Toole to see what we'll need to do to the car to make him happy. (he does most of the annuals in the area where I live). While I can't say that it'd be competitive, it could potentially breathe new life into the interest in 1st gen Rx7 chassis'. I know that I could run a 13B in ITS, etc., but it seems like the V8 might be more fun AND more cost-effective. Just my $0.02 worth.

Scott
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Sounds like things are getting complicated. I think NCR is still running ITE - it was used at Goblin's Go and the 13 Hour Enduro for sure.

Seems like all the cars in ITO could run in ITE, is this not the case? NCR's ITE doesn't have a displacement limit so it would appear that anything could run there. I'm in the NCR, 55, so of course your mileage might vary depending on where you are and where you wish to race.

Again, Ron, ITE is per region (that recognizes it) while ITO is common across all SEDIV regions. NCR can certainly run both or ITE-only at a non-SARRC event like the 13-Hour, but they cannot run a SARRC race without listing ITO as an available class.
    Butch Kummer

Ah, ok, I get it now. The ITO designation makes certain the ITO type cars would run when a SARRC race is run, however, ITE is optional. So, if you have an ITO/ITE car and wish to race it regularly it might be of benefit to have the car classes as ITO since that class must run when SARRC runs. Sorry if I added any angst to the discussion. I wasn't understanding it very well.

Thanks for the clairfication.

Ron