Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMB transponder ownership issue

Default AMB transponder ownership issue

Hi

I just bought a new(used) car that has a hardwired AMB transponder included as part of the deal. I have the transponder # but don't know how to change the ownership(open a new account) at MYLAPS.COM. When I try to open a new account with the transponder #, I get bounced out because the number is already being used.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

BruceG

Bruce - Sorry, but the rules have changed. Read this thread:

https://improvedtouring.com...eferrerid=9666
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

I'll be interested to see what comes of this. I've got a car I need to "unregister" from my ownership on MyLaps.com because we've sold the car. I couldn't find a way to do that, either.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Send 'em a nastygram; I did. And I told them that as a result of their new policy I'd never buy a new product from them, ever, even if it meant buying someone else's old used-up equipment at a higher price.

GA

Default Amb Transponder

Hi Doug

I just found out the answer to my issue from mylaps.com. Once a transponder has been registered, it always belongs to the owner!!

That sucks. They will give me 40% off on buying a new transponder but The old one will always show results for the previous owner. They have the new car owner under their thumb.

You should be able to cancel your mylaps acct for your transponder. Go to their website and you can ask them a question.

Thanks,

Bruce

I think we might want to send this up the flagpole at SCCA HQ ... it seems like it really undermines the usefulness of MyLaps.com. Maybe someone "up there" would be interested enough to take it up with AMB. I doubt they'd listen to the racers, unless a crapton of racers started climbing their hides. AFAIK, there's no alternative for official scoring.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Default AMB trabsponder redux

Hi Doug...thanks for your response. I obviously would have purchased a new transponder if there had not been one already available(and hardwired) with the vehicle. If mylaps wanted to charge me a fee as a new user(with an existing transponder) that would be ok...but not this! It's like saying that you can only buy parts for your race car from the original owner!!

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Hi Doug...thanks for your response. I obviously would have purchased a new transponder if there had not been one already available(and hardwired) with the vehicle. If mylaps wanted to charge me a fee as a new user(with an existing transponder) that would be ok...but not this! It's like saying that you can only buy parts for your race car from the original owner!!
    Bruce
    I'm with you. The reason I sold the one in my old car was that the new car had one already hardwired into it. Plus the old car went to a newby starting up, so they needed all the "bits and bobs" they could get.

I'd be willing to pay a small fee, like five or ten bucks, to switch it over. If I had a choice of using someone else's product for official scoring, I'd do it in a heartbeat based on the attitude displayed by AMB on this topic.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Good thread, sounds like I'm hosed.

I have a surplus hard wired transponder from my Jensen Healey. Since Jeff Young's TR8 is in my garage I thought to wire this transponder up to his TR8 so he can ditch the rechargeable unit he owns now. However, from reading the thread it appears that we can't do this since the hard wired transponder is registered to me (I think).

Sux.

I sent a nasty gram (even though I have owned only 1 from new transponder and am not directly affected) and this is the reply I got. I left the name out, but this is a direct email response from AMB when I emailed [email protected].

Robert,

Thank you for your feedback. I understand your position, and I assure you that I will be passing this information along to our management team.

Sincerely,
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Default AMB responder transfer issues

Thanks to all of you for your response.

I'm in contact with David from mylaps.com. He is trying to be very helpful with this issue. I believe that mylaps never realized that such a senario could exist!

I suggested that paying a registration/transfer fee might make sense for a new owner of an existing transponder, rather than having to remove the transponder,trade it in,send it back to AMB, buy a new one(with tradein),ship it and have to install the new one.

Bruce

I would suggest if in a reasonable amount of time Mylaps does not fix this problem we should all lobby our individual regions not to use Mylaps for official results and maybe not provide data to them at all.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Hi Dick

I contacted mylaps.com and advised them to take a look at the thread I started. I didn't realize that there is also a prior thread regarding the same issues. This was prompted by the fact that I just purchased a spec miata with an AMB transponder hardwired which was included in the deal.

Thanks for your response and support in this matter.

Bruce

When I first came across this, it appeared that the only problem was that you could not access results on my laps. When you register for a race, they ask for your transponder number. I'm pretty sure the software at the track uses data they input. Does anyone know if that is correct? If it is, the results at the track should be correct.

If the only official results are those posted on MyLaps then there clearly needs to be a resolution or SCCA needs to cease using MyLaps for results.

fuck 'em. their new search function is a big steaming pile of poo, and if my results show up as "Mark Franklin" from now on, i really don't care.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

why would you leave off the name ?

YOU MAY NOT CARE, but that Mark Franklin guy out in Colorado sure will. His image will be besmerched beyond repair. Nationally published crappy lap times, constant midpack finishes., and numerous DOs and protests will drag his name through the mud! If I had sold you a car i would have bought you a Tponder just to save my good name!!!!!!
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

I'll try to be more clear in my question.

The MyLaps registration only affects what you view on MyLaps, correct? The race day results at the track will show the correct name(s) based on your race registration regardless of who the transponder is "registered" to, correct? Consequently, all the important things like points, etc should still get credited to the correct person(s).

If that is the case, I second the "F--- em" notion.

I realize that if MyLaps is the official POSTING of results, those postings would have the wrong name and would be a PITA in a lot of ways. We would have to get the SCCA to address that.

Rory

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    I would suggest if in a reasonable amount of time Mylaps does not fix this problem we should all lobby our individual regions not to use Mylaps for official results and maybe not provide data to them at all.
    I'm pretty certain that the official results have to be made available at the track. Mylaps should be nothing more than an auxilliary posting on a free website, at no cost to the Regions or drivers. According to our Chief of T&S, mylaps cannot be the *official* results because its format isn't GCR compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by backformore View Post
    When I first came across this, it appeared that the only problem was that you could not access results on my laps. When you register for a race, they ask for your transponder number. I'm pretty sure the software at the track uses data they input. Does anyone know if that is correct? If it is, the results at the track should be correct.
    AFAIK, the master system relies on individual transponder #s inputted by the hosting organization.

Before everyone gets their panties in a wad over this, I suggest they grab the elastic and consider the following:

- As annoying as the policy is, I do not believe that access to mylaps is something which ANYONE paid for. It isn't mentioned in the marketing materials online for the transponders. It wasn't in the materials I received when I bought my brand new transponder.

- The freaking thing is free. You don't pay squat to get access to the transponder records.

- They don't have to provide the service.

Yes, the new layout sucks and it still won't remember my login. Yep, it's a PITA that only those entered in the event can look at individual lap times (i.e. want to see if that car you might buy runs 1:30s on a consistent basis or did it once? You cannot). Yes, it sucks that the transponder is registered to only one owner (and that's sloppy DB work as they could key it on both name of registrant and the #), but I don't see anyone jumping up and down to host an alternate site. Nor do I see anyone beating down the doors to write both the front-end and back-end for the alternate website.

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS View Post
    YOU MAY NOT CARE, but that Mark Franklin guy out in Colorado sure will. His image will be besmerched beyond repair. Nationally published crappy lap times, constant midpack finishes., and numerous DOs and protests will drag his name through the mud! If I had sold you a car i would have bought you a Tponder just to save my good name!!!!!!
    i have absolutely no response to that other than to laugh my ass off.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region