Thread: Economy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRW View Post
    But that's just my opinion.
    ...which I share. I often wonder what kind of vacuum these decisions are made...

Darrell: yes, of course, I'll be cutting back. It's the prudent thing to do. And, yes, "we" should cut back the schedule quite a bit, for the same reason.

(Non-sequitor: John, did you notice the black Acura Integra that passed and waved at you guys Sunday AM on the way back from VIR? 'Twas me in the new donor-car/shell. Oh, and did you notice the same black Acura Integra pulled over on Highway 6 north of Livingston...? Ditto... )

Yea, I'm thinking hard about next year. Of course, leaving money in my stock fund is a worse way to lose it than racing it away....
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    (Non-sequitor: John, did you notice the black Acura Integra that passed and waved at you guys Sunday AM on the way back from VIR? 'Twas me in the new donor-car/shell. Oh, and did you notice the same black Acura Integra pulled over on Highway 6 north of Livingston...?
    You probably just got a confused look.

I wasn't towing...I was flogging my Volvo home. You were waving at the other John, in his white van. Highway 6, north of Livingston ? Huh ? That would not have been on either of our routes. Were you broken down ?

We continue to experiment with our "Enduro-Lite" concept...to see just how little we can bring to the track for a long enduro. We went from "fully loaded enclosed with spare motor/suspension/anything imaginable" of 10 years ago, to "Dually pulling open trailer, with chase-Cargo van loaded with parts" the past two years, to this year's iteration: "Cargo-van loaded with minimum stuff, pulling open trailer". Left the overhead fuel rig at home. Rudy from Kumho drove with us, so we saved room on tires (Miatas are easy on tires, anyway). And we still won ITA. Maybe next year we'll put plates on the car and drive it down. Sure did cut down on the diesel fuel bill this year.

I am retired, and the economy has made big changes for us.

I sold the race car on e-bay, also the trailer, the Honda ATV, and our boat.

Stopped taking draw from investments.

Gas here is down to $1.90, so we can take the motorhome to Sebring to work events at a cost of $50.,, after worker perks are figured in.
    Still can't work Daytona though, no camping on site, and longer haul.

My thinking is that I can rent an average ITB car for far less than owning one, just to keep the license active.

Central Florida Region is blessed with low entry fees, but with smaller fields, that can change.

I found myself in total agreement with the editorials in this month's
    GRASSROOTS MOTORSPORTS magazine, that racing, even in a poor economy, can still be a quality experience.

See you on the grid,
    Carlos
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRW View Post
    Were you broken down ?
    Having a one-on-one conversation about specific rates of travel with one of VA's finest.

We continue to experiment with our "Enduro-Lite" concept...
    I hear you. We're talking about keeping the enclosed trailer but sleeping in it, and anything we don't actually "touch" for a weekend gets left home next time...