Thread: "Happy Hour"

Lightbulb "Happy Hour"

I posted this on the "ARRC feedback" thread but decided maybe it needed its own thread to discuss....

The biggest suggestion/gripe I have lately about all races is.... WE (SCCA Drivers/Members) are paying for the track rental. We all want "track time" however we never want to use ALL of it up. Why don't we schedule "hardship" type practice sessions at the end of the day for those that want/need to use it? We always complain about track time, but never maximize it when we have that option. If your schedule runs until 4:15 and we have the track until 6:00 then run some hardship sessions for those that are still racing the next day. You will then have a window to run races late if needed because you can just shorten the hardship sessions.

Those that want to drink earlier can just go to the spectator area and start watching the races and enjoying a few (you can do that right?) lol

Raymond "Butch I only bring this up because you suggest the 8 race format to shorten the day.... As a memember wanting more track time I wish we had the NASCAR "happy hour" format." Blethen

Not all events but a lot of events (especially nationals where IT and other regional classes are sometimes invited) we end early, hours early.... Generally i would say this is poor planning, however the stewards can't just make races longer, they need that buffer at the end of the day to try and make sure everyone goes home feeling like they got what they payed for. Why don't we schedule "happ hours" at the end of the day should time allow it?

We get around 10hrs of track time (at best) and pay $10,000 - $20,000 a day for track rentals right??? thats over $1,000hr!!!

Raymond "why wouldn't we us the track if we payed for it till 6 or 7 or... ???" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

So nobody is interested on two day events having "Happy Hour" sessions?

From my experience as a Steward in the tower I think it is very important to schedule extra time at the end of the day should things start to run late. I think it is important to give the racers (members) the time they expected when they paid for and entered the event. I do not like it when we have sessions shortened, its generally an example of poor planning IMO (However, sometimes we have unexpected incidents that can not be accounted for). At most events WE ALREADY DO THIS NOW and schedule at least 1/2 hour of extra time at the end of the day. The Stewards have been doing a great job also at getting done early, rather than late, thus we have more than 1/2 hour left of time at the end of the day.

What we don't do now is use this extra time if we don't run late (which I have seen be as much as 1 - 1.5 hours not used at the end of the day). Every National I have been to ends very early. The PRO IT at Lime Rock last year was great. It was 45 minutes or whatever time was left. The only thing that could have made the PRO IT better at Lime Rock was to use the extra time left at the end of the day on Friday also as practice sessions.

Raymond "suprised at the lack of interest for extra time and guarenteed session lengths" Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Better not let the workers see this thread
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by EV View Post
    Better not let the workers see this thread
    Workers schmorkers, they're just there for the beer anyway! It's HAPPY HOUR, give 'em a beer! They only need one hand to flag, the other can hold a cold PBR!

Sorry Ray, but it was more fun than writing "bump"
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Funk View Post
    Workers schmorkers, they're just there for the beer anyway! It's HAPPY HOUR, give 'em a beer! They only need one hand to flag, the other can hold a cold PBR!
    Better yet, replace our fire extinguishers with small kegs!
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Start early enough and you'd be able to deal with fires by pissing on them!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!