Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ITB - what a bunch of crap

Default ITB - what a bunch of crap

OK, just wanted to get your attention.

I had resisted the assertion that ITB was the 'new ITA' - but heck, this class is really redifining itself into something special. Accords, Civic's, CRX's, Volvo's, Golfs, 924's, BMW's, Audi's, Preludes, a freakin' gorgeous Alfa...

Awesome guys. Awesome. Add in Scott, The Canadians, the Blethens, Beren, Boo-hee - and oh-snap is that a showdown.

ITS seems to be the class that is static now...only 12 starters at the ARRC? Diverse yes (top 6 were all different models), but is it quality over quantity? Thoughts?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

I think ITS growth is a year or two out, and will be followed by the beginning surge of ITR. ITA and ITB are both VERY strong, ITC seems to be hanging in there.
    Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata

ITS may be too expensive...

I've raced in several 25 car plus ITS fields this year. CMP, Roebling and Daytona have drawn good, solid fields. Not sure why the ARRC was so down this year. Of course, I didn't go so I'm part of the problem......

There are a lot more S cars out there now racing than when I started in 04. Fixing the BMW problem really brought a lot of folks back.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Yes, and if it hadn't been for the lap 5 schlmazzle at turn 7, the race looked like it would be a barn burner, with lots of position swapping in the top 5, which could have been covered by a blanket.. I was really digging it up to that point. At the end, Vaughan did his best to hang on for 2nd, but Aaron pressed by, so we got some dicing on the last lap.

That Alfa LOOKED cool, but, it was reliable in it's unreliability.

And yes, (coughs throat) the Blethens should have been there. I talked to Beran in impound in Jersey, and could have sworn he was going...

ITA of course, was lacking a certain FOM Miata.........:mad:
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post

ITS seems to be the class that is static now...only 12 starters at the ARRC? Diverse yes (top 6 were all different models), but is it quality over quantity? Thoughts?
    ITS might turn into spec RX7 once the VIN rule takes affect Maybe ITS needs a bailout....
    Rob Driscoll
    ITS 25
    NER

I don't see that, at least in the SEDiv. We have very competitive RX7s, E46 323, E30 325s, 240z, 260z, 280z, 280zx, Porsche 944s, Mazda Miata, TR8, 190E, Integra GSR, hell even an Alfa Milano and a 924s.......
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by robits325is View Post
    ITS might turn into spec RX7 once the VIN rule takes affect Maybe ITS needs a bailout....
    ITS seems to be well attended and diverse in the SE. More Z cars than I've ever seen before (only attending tracks for three years), Miatas, Porsches, BMWs (not just 325s like it used to be), Integra, etc. - and more importantly, the cars upfront seem to be swapping around quite a bit.

Did see a LOT of RX7s at Daytona, but there are a lot of old Speedsource cars down that way and location helps.

Ron

With the economy in the tank it seemed all year that drivers were just picking the races that offered the most fun and track time. Very few were actually chasing points. ITS can be very expensive and I spoke to a lot of drivers that usually run the ARRC that just decided to sit this year out. Judging by the number of orders for parts and cars I would not count on a drop in ITS. If we all still have jobs (or get a racing bailout) look for some big fields next year. In the Southeast we have scheduled more doubles than ever before to help cut cost. I will be surprised to see ITR move much in the next few years. Racing with yourself is not a big draw to build $40,000 cars.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

There will be a 914 next year.

Oh come on Andy, ITB sucks. Your list includes a bunch of old cars except the Golf. Dave, whose hoping that a $10K car can still have a shot of winning races and is totally fine with it not being the "cool" class.

If I had money, I'd still build / buy an ITA car. Although I did find myself checking out the prices of an ITB potential Mini in my dream land. They ain't cheap.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

LOL Rob Good one... Up here in the North East the only real diversity is a lonely GSR and a couple of BMW's. Otherwise it is the RX7 show.

On that note, we have got the new integra shell home and will be beginning the rebuild soon.
    Jeremy Billiel

LOL! Cheers, Andy! Yeah, we were bound and determined to give the Honduh boys fits, till things went all pear-shaped on lap 4... rest assured that when we're back, all will be at our mercy!!!

Porsches Rock!

(write that down)

PS - I think the reason ITS was weak was everyone heard Kip was returning, only with his 944, and collectively said "Aw, F@*#!"
    Last edited by 924Guy; 11-13-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

What does the VIN rule have to do with an ITS RX-7? You can UD/BD now...
    Andy Bettencourt

David Spillman went faster (lap time wise) in a 240z.........

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    LOL! Cheers, Andy! Yeah, we were bound and determined to give the Honduh boys fits, till things went all pear-shaped on lap 4... rest assured that when we're back, all will be at our mercy!!!

Porsches Rock!

(write that down)

PS - I think the reason ITS was weak was everyone heard Kip was returning, only with his 944, and collectively said "Aw, F@*#!"
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

OK, just wanted to get your attention.

I had resisted the assertion that ITB was the 'new ITA' - but heck, this class is really redifining itself into something special. Accords, Civic's, CRX's, Volvo's, Golfs, 924's, BMW's, Audi's, Preludes, a freakin' gorgeous Alfa...

Awesome guys. Awesome. Add in Scott, The Canadians, the Blethens, Beren, Boo-hee - and oh-snap is that a showdown.

You mean there are classes where winning a trophy isn't a given?? Maybe it's the nature of the economy and how hard we were hit, but the last couple of years has seen some major shrinkage in the paddock. If you want to run aginst more than 2 others in your class, your options are limited to: SRF, SP (because of all the American Stockcar Racers), Pro7, SM, and by extension ITA. Even classes like Pro7, which has it's own run group, is at like 5-7 regular cars. Imagine flagging for a five car run group, we got two minute worker breaks every lap.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    You mean there are classes where winning a trophy isn't a given?? Maybe it's the nature of the economy and how hard we were hit, but the last couple of years has seen some major shrinkage in the paddock. If you want to run aginst more than 2 others in your class, your options are limited to: SRF, SP (because of all the American Stockcar Racers), Pro7, SM, and by extension ITA. Even classes like Pro7, which has it's own run group, is at like 5-7 regular cars. Imagine flagging for a five car run group, we got two minute worker breaks every lap.
    Wow. Where are you racing? That's a dang shame. 15-20 car ITS and ITA fields in New England wer the norm for 2008. ITB grew this year. ITR sees 3-5 cars and ITC 1-2.
    Andy Bettencourt

Wow. Where are you racing? That's a dang shame. 15-20 car ITS and ITA fields in New England wer the norm for 2008. ITB grew this year. ITR sees 3-5 cars and ITC 1-2.
    Southern California, heart of the mortgage meltdown. I'm even concerned, and haven't been racing while I spend to rebuild.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Default Its

Congrads to Kip on his ITS win. Bout time..Smile.....

I think he really MIGHT not have shown his hand completely with his silver bullet..... Plus he did set the ARRC record for most oil changes in a single weekend.

I truly hope to see more cars out next year, during the the year as well as the 09 ARRC. Great show in my opinion,Weekend Registration on Thursday morning brilliant idea......Was one of the highlights of my weekend!!
    Great weekend,great workers, good crew,helpful competitors, tremendous track.

David Spillman
    30 year old ITS car

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    hoping that a $10K car can still have a shot of winning races.
    I keep hoping that mine can too.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com