OK Guys.
Because some of you are baffled as to why I seem to be so torqued about this, let me do a quick and simple exercise...

ITB A3 Golf
115x1.25x17=2444
-50 (fwd)
+50 (torque)
Gives a spec weight of 2444 (2445lbs).
Current spec weight is 2350.
So based on some pretty basic and straightforward math the VW is 95lbs too light.

Now lets look at the 84-87 Honda CRX Si:
91x1.35x17=2088
-50lbs (FWD)
=2038 (2040lbs)
Current spec weight is 2130, or 90lbs too heavy.

These cars have very similar suspension designs, so that is a non-issue. Yet the VW basically gets a 185lb advantage when the current process is used.

Now, someone is saying "yeah, but that falls within that pesky 100lb thingy. Thats why its unaddressed."

So lets go further and look at an eeevil Honda A Arm car. The 88-91 Civic DX:
92x1.35x17=2111
-50 (FWD)
+50 (Double Wishbone A Arm)
=2111 (2110lbs)
Current spec weight is 2240lbs, or 130lbs overweight.

That gives the VW a 225lb advantage!!!

Some things of note...
-These are popular modern cars that are easier to spec than the aforementioned 70s cars and stranger selections and they are STILL WRONG.
-I used a 35% adder on the Hondas and only 25% on the VW and the VW still has the advantage.
-The 25% and 35% adders in this case do in fact correspond to actual dyno results on fully built efforts (at least its close enough to call it corresponding), so the process itself isn't too far off base at all.
-Its the consistent application of the process that is off base, not the process itself.

I can't look at these numbers and say things are good enough as they are and don't need to be changed. If you can do that, I'd honestly love to hear the justification.
It seems to me that if we are going to be THIS far off when we have a process to use, why are we even bothering using it?
Actually, these numbers would indicate we are in fact NOT using the process. We're just saying we are. Sorry if that offends anyone, but thats what the numbers seem to indicate.

I'm always willing to help, but if we as a group are collectively OK with this as the status quo, then I want no part of it.

PS - This is just 3 cars in one class. I'm sure this exercise could grow to get pretty ugly. But...