Thread: Kirk Bolt-In Cage

Default Kirk Bolt-In Cage

Are they even legal anymore? I know the pads need to be welded, but the rest of it? If not, would welding the joints together even be legal?

No I'm not a fan of it in any matter, but a possible purchase as a starter car for someone that has a log book from '05.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Spanky, if your talking about cages for the SCCA you need to read the GCR with reference to roll cages. Rules are wonderful when one understands the rules. If you do not own a GCR you could most likely Google SCCA & find a readable version of the GCR.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    Spanky, if your talking about cages for the SCCA you need to read the GCR with reference to roll cages. Rules are wonderful when one understands the rules. If you do not own a GCR you could most likely Google SCCA & find a readable version of the GCR.
    I have, and do, but I'm a little confused. There is a car with a log book from '05 that has a bolt in cage. Appendix G states: The cage shall be welded to the car, and all mandatory tubes shall use welded joint construction.

So how did it get a log book? Does welding the bars where the bolts are make it legal?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

I think you are looking at the cage specs for Touring which do not allow bolt in cages. As I read this, Improved Touring cars fall under the Showroom Stock cage specs and can still be bolted in or welded.

Quote Originally Posted by ITC Racer View Post
    I think you are looking at the cage specs for Touring which do not allow bolt in cages. As I read this, Improved Touring cars fall under the Showroom Stock cage specs and can still be bolted in or welded.
    And there lies my stupidity. Thank you.

Now now, if you're gonna be that forthright about your errors, you'll never have a future in public office...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Now now, if you're gonna be that forthright about your errors, you'll never have a future in public office...
    WOOOHOOO