Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Format Considerations for 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Also, the date is something to consider, if possible. Having it so close to the 13 Hr meant some folk couldn't turn things around fast enough. I know 3 guys that I had on the hook that slipped off because of the tight timeframe. Not sure if thats fixable, just throwing it out there.
    Besides it being our traditional date (and we were here first! :026, both events are at the mercy of the tracks when it comes to scheduling. I do know there are NO open weekends on Road Atlanta's 2009 calendar.

And believe it or not, the weather here in Atlanta is traditionally better in early November than it is in late October.
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

The biggest suggestion/gripe I have lately about all races is.... WE (SCCA Drivers/Members) are paying for the track rental. We all want "track time" however we never want to use ALL of it up. Why don't we schedule "hardship" type practice sessions at the end of the day for those that want/need to use it? We always complain about track time, but never maximize it when we have that option. If your schedule runs until 4:15 and we have the track until 6:00 then run some hardship sessions for those that are still racing the next day. You will then have a window to run races late if needed because you can just shorten the hardship sessions.

Those that want to drink earlier can just go to the spectator area and start watching the races and enjoying a few (you can do that right?) lol

Raymond "Butch I only bring this up because you suggest the 8 race format to shorten the day.... As a memember wanting more track time I wish we had the NASCAR "happy hour" format." Blethen
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

The eight race format will only shorten the day if there are no FCYs or BFAs, which has not happened since I've been involved with the event. The stewards were very aware of the time constraints presented by the nine group format, so they discarded the Victory Laps and checker the Group 8 race early because of everything they had to clean up. Even with that, the sun was setting over Spectator Hill (and blinding those coming through the Esses) in the closing laps of the Group Nine race.

Had we only run eight groups this year, the Big Noise guys would have gotten their full 20 laps (which means my butt would not be on fire :eek and we would have finished the day around 5:00 PM.

Butch (Thank you for your input ) Kummer
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    Had we only run eight groups this year, the Big Noise guys would have gotten their full 20 laps (which means my butt would not be on fire :eek and we would have finished the day around 5:00 PM.
    You could just threaten them that, if they can't learn to drive on 8 cylinders, they'll all get 4 wires pulled on grid and they can learn to play nice that way!

Cheaper than switching 'em all to ITC cars...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com