I know the ink has hardly dried on the 2008 event, but we are already looking ahead to 2009 and how we can make it better. These still need to be discussed and approved by our Race Board, but this is what I'm thinking about:

1. Return to eight run groups (from the current nine) - leaves more time in the day for "mishaps" that inevitably occur, plus it allows us to push Friday's first qualifying session back to 20 minutes (it was 15 this year).

"Your" groups would be:
. ASM, SSM
. ITB, ITC, ITT, SRX
. GP (if invited), IT7, ITA
. DP, ITR, ITS, ITU, SPU

2. Make Friday's second qualifier a 7-lap (or 15-minute) "qualifying race". Finishing order in the race doesn't matter, but if you turn a better time during that session than in the morning, that lap sets your grid spot for Saturday's Championship race. Grid for this short race will be determined by Friday morning times and it will NOT be a split start.

3. Saturday's Championship races will be 20 laps, with split starts as appropriate. If all goes well, we'll be able to start drinking by 4:15 in the afternoon. Since things seldom go well, however, this gives the stewards a LOT of leeway for extending the race clock as needed.

4. If the interest is there, the Bonus race on Sunday will be for "Trans-Am" type cars.

5. Sunday's Enduro will still be three hours.

What I need to know from y'all is whether you'd rather race during the second session on Friday or make it a traditional qualifying session. The workers like it when we race and the spectators certainly like it better when we race, but I need to know what y'all think.

Let me know...