Thread: MSD box dead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default MSD box dead?

Anybody had a MSD 6AL box die on them. Worked on the car a little yesterday, fired up fine but after compression and leakdowns, no spark.

Swapped coils, still no spark. Any easy way to test?

It is still under warranty so I am going to pull it out and send it in but wanted to check it again before pulling.

Thoughts?
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

LOL....yeah, we've had this happen. Must be a Z car malady.

There is a test. You have to cross a couple of the wires at the box while seeing if you get spark from the coil. MSD website has the test instructions; Ron can also tell you -- he's the wire crosser while I'm just the coil wire holder.

Also, whether under warranty or not, MSD fixes those boxes pretty cheaply.

Note that the only boxes I've seen fail have been mounted vertically. You mount it on the floor, with the vibration dampers, and I've not had any issues.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    .........There is a test. You have to cross a couple of the wires at the box while seeing if you get spark from the coil. MSD website has the test instructions; Ron can also tell you -- he's the wire crosser while I'm just the coil wire holder..........

Did that test, still no spark

Also, whether under warranty or not, MSD fixes those boxes pretty cheaply.

Note that the only boxes I've seen fail have been mounted vertically. You mount it on the floor, with the vibration dampers, and I've not had any issues.

Hmmm, mine is mounted vertically on the interior firewall. Maybe time for a change in mounting location
    I have done a little more checking and it appears that quality control MAY be an issue. MSD support is good. I guess I will get an RMA and send it back, mostly just wanted to see if others had experienced the box suddenly going belly up.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

If you do the test and get no spark, box is bad. Without doubt. When it happened to us, we put in a new box and immediately fired up.

Send it back. Even if out of warranty, the fix was like $30 or something.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

While MSD makes a very good product and I have one in my Z, they are known for this. The FAA allows their use in Aircraft, but only if you have two boxes, mounted in parallel with a priority switch between them, so the one with a spark sends the spark. Then you have to have another redundant set switched off, ready to go in case the first pair dies. Not exactly a glowing testiment!

Mike

we had the car warmed up,drove to grid and waited for the checker. The box quit at the 2 min start window,dosent matter how hard you smash the thing on grid it still wont fire.:026: Ran 5 laps on the trailing ign only,not a stellar lap in the bunch. we run redundent pikup wires and have a spare dist in the trailer,weve got a bunch of them. Cheaper than a second box and they do fix them cheap. Another note is the car sat at the next owners house for 5 years and fired off the first try when we got the car back. There is no set reason for the failure,it does that
    Dan
    70 IT7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackaman View Post
    While MSD makes a very good product and I have one in my Z, they are known for this. The FAA allows their use in Aircraft, but only if you have two boxes, mounted in parallel with a priority switch between them, so the one with a spark sends the spark. Then you have to have another redundant set switched off, ready to go in case the first pair dies. Not exactly a glowing testiment!

Mike

this has NOTHING to do with MSD... No matter the ignition system or manufacturer every aircraft is required to have a redundant ignition system...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"