Thread: Atlanta Motorsports Park

Default Atlanta Motorsports Park

I just got this email and wanted to know who's idea was this to put another track 49 miles from Road Atlanta? Any connection with the owners? If not, someone's screwin someone else.:cool:

I've only seen the promotional material and I have no clue whether it will really happen, but my understanding is AMP will be an exclusive "country club" for well-heeled motorsports enthusiasts. It is NOT aimed at the common riff-raff that frequents Road Atlanta:

"Righto, Buffy, I haven't driven the 962 in quite awhile so have Roger wash and wax it, then meet me on the false grid so I can let it stretch it's legs a bit!"

Needless to say, I was NOT among those in their target audience...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

I thought it was aimed at us high-falutin' IT drivers!
    When I get to work tomorrow, I'll forward it to you.
    I'm sure it was an honest oversite.
    George Bugg
    Huntsville, AL
    ITA CRXsi

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    I've only seen the promotional material and I have no clue whether it will really happen, but my understanding is AMP will be an exclusive "country club" for well-heeled motorsports enthusiasts. It is NOT aimed at the common riff-raff that frequents Road Atlanta:

"Righto, Buffy, I haven't driven the 962 in quite awhile so have Roger wash and wax it, then meet me on the false grid so I can let it stretch it's legs a bit!"

Needless to say, I was NOT among those in their target audience...
    Gottcha Butch, then hopefully I'll be seeing you at Road Atlanta, since I won't be getting any invites to AMP either. Sorry I couldn't make ARRC, got slammed pretty hard @ Mid Ohio. To much damage to bring down a presentable car. We can only hope for a better economy for next year. I know of some other ITR cars that want to come for next year.
    I hope AMP doesn't try and steal any pro racing from RA being that close together. Counting on only people with bags of $ to blow doesn't seem to be a good business decision, unless you know a hell of a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    Counting on only people with bags of $ to blow doesn't seem to be a good business decision, unless you know a hell of a lot of them.
    Let them blow their money down the drain. Then AMP will have to open their posh country club racetrack to us knuckledraggin'/cussin'/backy-spittin'/beer-swillin'/skirt-chasin' hee-haws just to break even!
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Default Reply from the CEO of Atlanta Motorsports Park

Good afternoon to all. I was forwarded this message from a friend that thought I should reply. Thanks for your interest in AMP and thoughts, I like to hear insights from everyone. I value every potential “renter” or member at AMP.

A few comments were given that I think are worth addressing.

First: Location in proximity to Road Atlanta.

AMP will be the closest facility to the core group of money in the USA, actually half the distance. Road Atlanta has no competition within at least four house of the location. They are rented 350 days per year and turn away 2-3 people a week.

So many other facilities have many others like them in the area and still stay covered up. There is an absolute need for another facility in Atlanta.

Butch – funny enough, I am a club and kart racer and won’t turn my nose up to anyone, we want you and your group at AMP, we will rent the facility to clubs and have many that would never reduce a day at RA and add a few days to AMP to keep the club local and have two great courses. Plus we will have 120 feet of elevation and MUCH less in the way of walls around the course, much more run off like Kershaw or Roebling.

Dj10 – you are personally invited by me to AMP. Also, we will partner with RA, we will not effect their business at all.

RedMisted – these member driving tracks are very successful, much more than a standard track. Five of these only operated 200 days per year, and still do exceptionally well with massive competition within 1-2 hours of their doors. We can operate 365 days per year, closer to the core group of users than any other track and have no competition other than RA!

Thanks for allowing me to share with you some of the insights. Butch, I would love your contact info to put you on the update list. Please help me in promoting this venture so we will all have a place for more seat time.

God speed,

Jeremy W. Porter
    CEO
    Atlanta Motorsports Park
    [email protected]

Jeremy,

E-mail sent.

I look forward to hearing from you...
    Butch Kummer
    Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (July 2012 - Sept 2014)
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Kummer View Post
    It is NOT aimed at the common riff-raff that frequents Road Atlanta...
    Who the hell are you calling common?

Jeremy, do you have a time frame?
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Motorsports Park View Post
    Good afternoon to all. I was forwarded this message from a friend that thought I should reply. Thanks for your interest in AMP and thoughts, I like to hear insights from everyone. I value every potential “renter” or member at AMP.

A few comments were given that I think are worth addressing.

First: Location in proximity to Road Atlanta.

AMP will be the closest facility to the core group of money in the USA, actually half the distance. Road Atlanta has no competition within at least four house of the location. They are rented 350 days per year and turn away 2-3 people a week.

So many other facilities have many others like them in the area and still stay covered up. There is an absolute need for another facility in Atlanta.

Butch – funny enough, I am a club and kart racer and won’t turn my nose up to anyone, we want you and your group at AMP, we will rent the facility to clubs and have many that would never reduce a day at RA and add a few days to AMP to keep the club local and have two great courses. Plus we will have 120 feet of elevation and MUCH less in the way of walls around the course, much more run off like Kershaw or Roebling.

Dj10 – you are personally invited by me to AMP. Also, we will partner with RA, we will not effect their business at all.

RedMisted – these member driving tracks are very successful, much more than a standard track. Five of these only operated 200 days per year, and still do exceptionally well with massive competition within 1-2 hours of their doors. We can operate 365 days per year, closer to the core group of users than any other track and have no competition other than RA!

Thanks for allowing me to share with you some of the insights. Butch, I would love your contact info to put you on the update list. Please help me in promoting this venture so we will all have a place for more seat time.

God speed,

Jeremy W. Porter
    CEO
    Atlanta Motorsports Park
    [email protected]
    Thanks for the response Jeremy.....as for me, well shut my mouth. That's really good to hear. Did he say when I'm invited down?

Jeremy:

Seriously, I was just joking about your situation. But the reality of your market is different from the realities in other markets. In my part of the country, BeaveRun has been having financial problems while trying to take a quasi-countryclub approach, and I'm sure the prospective buyers of Nelson Ledges pulled back partly because they didn't see northeast Ohio as a viable location for converting a track to members-only use.
    Suffice it to say Pittsburgh and Cleveland are tired rustbelt cities; Atlanta is a gleaming megapolis worthy of hosting Olympic games. I applaud your efforts and wish you well with AMP.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Sounds like more fun on the east coast!

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

Ha ha, you guys got busted, LOL.

kidding kidding.

Seriously, though.

This new venture comes at an interesting juncture in history, when we've seen such a sudden pull back in discretionary spending. Many areas of the country are reporting reduced entries at racing events, and regions have had to consider, or are giving up dates so that they don't operate events in the red.

In other words, consolidation is becoming the norm. Now, having another track available is an interesting option, as it could add a little bargaining clout to renters.

In the NE, a track about an hour and a half from NYC has opened, but it is for pure member use. No racing will be sanctioned from my understanding.

Veeerrrry interesting.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com