Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey Jeff Young.....

I'm more worried about the tires. Tristan likes to put 3,465 heat cycles on a set before buying new ones. Might have to cut that down a bit with the new car since the T in T-4 could mean Tank instead of Thelma. (No, I don't want pay for new tires either!! I'm just saying..)

--Greg Brown
    T-Rex Racing Crew Member (at least until Tristan kicks me out for making fun of his old tires)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    You know (as an owner of a to be Z32 ITR car), I have heard this about the brakes several times, but having looked at them they seem like they are of sufficient size (both rotor and pad) to handle things.

Has anyone here tracked an N/Z Z32? Compared to other cars at its race weight (3200 lbs or so), the car looks like it has decent equipment on the brake side of things.
    Compared to what you currently drive, anything would have good brakes. I'm curious to see what happens when somebody gets a Z32 out there. I still think brakes could be an issue, especially at tracks hard on brakes like CMP. 3200 lbs is a lot of weight to slow down with 11.5" rotors. With ducting and the right pads it can be mitigated, but I'm curious to see how things go towards the end of a race.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Like Greg said (Greg, good to hear from you man!), I think tires are going to be a bigger issue. Z has good vented rotors front and rear with big pads up front, decent rear. Looks like with ducting and other stuff I've learned, should be fine.

I worry about the tires staying consistent at that weight, but we will see. I mean, a 325 weighs FIVE HUNDRED pounds less, and makes good power and torque.

Definitely a contender car though. at least on paper.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I too think the brakes will be fine. And as long as you stuff as much tire under the car as legally possible, I think the tires may be ok too. I already have been driving a car that's heavy for it's class, has good brakes, and can get greasy on it's tires after a few laps. So in many ways it shouldn't be a huge transition.
    The first race school I did (17 years ago, dear god I am getting old) at Road Atlanta used the Z32 Z. It had a cage, full interior, ac/, so a lot of weight, and I don't recall the brakes or tires being a problem. But that's why you race........so we'll see.
    I just about have the 240sx stripped, so hopefully I can start looking at the Z and see what's needed to get started.
    Oh, and Greg, your fired!
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56