Thread: Anyone want to 'show me the ropes'?

Default Anyone want to 'show me the ropes'?

Looks like I'll actually make it! Looks like I'll finish up work in NC by Wednesday. Good thing I drove the motor home and race car from Ohio sponsorship?

Anyhow it looks like I can make it to the track Thursday afternoon, to late for the practice day but to early to just say whoo I made it! Are we allowed to walk the track in the evening? What about crew(wife, driving 12 hours) arriving late? Any locals want to tell me where 'I should just not lift'?

White/gray motor home (Class C Gulfstream Endura)
    *85 IT7 (red / green)....do i need to say mazda Rx-7?

Stop by say hi
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!

I'll be there thursday helping a friend get his car tuned up for the weekend. Were gonna have a Traqmate and ChaseCam hooked up for all the sessions. Should have a lot of video and track data you can look over. I might have a few tips for driving RA too.

Come see us. We'll be in the all black RX-7 under a red digitron tent.
    Jeff Ryan
    SeDiv IT-7 #47
    Buccaneer Region Driver of the Year
    '07 SARRC Champion
    '07-08 ARRC IT-7 Champion

Since you're coming from the north, you'll most likely want to take the exit for Georgia 153 (Exit #129) and go right at the top of the ramp. The track is about three miles down on the left. You'll know you're 'bout there when you see the Lanier short oval on your right. When you get off I-85 there'll be a Cracker Barrel and a Wendy's and a couple of other places to eat right there.

From the track, you'd turn right to go back up here. Or you can turn left and go down Ga 53 to Oakwood. You'll find grocery stores and a variety of food places from fast food on up. Gainesville is only a few minutes drive from the track, but I'm not familiar with it.

I don't know if it's officially sanctioned, but I've seen people walk the track before in the evenings. You might not be able to enter the property until 1730 or after, so you might have to take a flashlight on your track walk.

Crew/wife arriving late shouldn't be any problem. Let them know at registration. You'll probably have to meet them at the gate and lead them back to your paddock space. The paddock is sort of maze-like. The gate is manned 24x7. If they miss registration, they'll have to sign a waiver at the gate and go to registration in the morning.

The paddock is likely to be packed completely solid, since the ARRC is usually very well attended. You might consider parking the RV outside the paddock, like on the top of the hill at the Turn 10A/B "chicane" and the T11 bridge, or closer to the paddock, if they'll let you. I don't know if there's a charge for that, but there probably is.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion

Thanks to both of you, I'll definitely stop by.
    Hopefully they will let me park in the grass. You don't think they will let me in earlier than 17:30 or is that for getting on the track? I was hopping to get setup in the light.

See you there!
    Hillbilly Motorsports

Scott, good to see that you're coming! If you arrive Thursday afternoon, you'll have no problem getting in and getting set up. They typically stop parking rigs around 10 or 11 that night. As for your wife, if she shows up any later than about that time, she won't be able to get in until the next morning. You shouldn't have any trouble walking the track in the evening.

There's also a lot of ARRC in-car video footage up on youtube you can watch. I myself have two or three of the previous years races up there.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Hmm I'm not sure when she will get there It's a 12+ hour drive. Maybe ought to make other arrangements for Thursday night.

Thanks again
    Hillbilly Motorsports