Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mylaps Registration

Default Hmmm............

Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance, but how does the info get to mylaps anyhow? AFAIK, it isn't sent automatically, there aren't any black helicopters circling the track, and I haven't seen any carrier pigeons leaving T&S. This info is SOMEWHERE in T&S. It would seem to me that we need someone like RacerBill to get there hands on the data (that we already have) and post it somewhere.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

Someone in T&S uploads the data to mylaps.

There's NO reason that it couldn't be put into a different web-based system, unless the agreement between the region and the AMB people forbids it (which wouldn't surprise me under the circumstances).

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    ...unless the agreement between the region and the AMB people forbids it (which wouldn't surprise me under the circumstances).
    Not as far as I know.

Default New policy on mylaps

Looking to buy a used transponder?

AMB i.t. has been listening to your comments about the recent changes to MyLaps.com.
    MyLaps.com is a service that AMB offers to racers and time keepers who use our equipment, including the personal transponders. The number of daily page views keeps doubling each year, along with its registered members and archived data. As a consequence of this growth AMB, over the years, has invested heavily into additional servers, software engines and support, to ensure a reliable online service for its customers.
    For instance, recently the site’s entire user-interface was rewritten to retain the rapid response time it was known for and continue to deliver accurate results. Comments from thousands of users were cataloged, analyzed, and prioritized for inclusion in the new version. This resulted in the inclusion of more advanced search algorithms and the possibility to filter results for country and sports, to name a few improvements.
    As a result of the success of MyLaps.com, the costs of maintaining it have risen dramatically. However, AMB is committed to continue offering its MyLaps.com site as a free service to all original owners of a personal transponder for as long as they use it.

Recently AMB has decided to make the process of re-registering a personal transponder from its original owner to buyer of a used transponder more difficult. Reasons for this decision are the following:
    • Complaints of previous owners: They no longer had access to their data after re-registration
    • Inability to erase old results: Owners of used transponders have been disappointed to find out that with the current structure of MyLaps.com it is impossible to erase the old race results from the period before they owned the transponder.
    • Unknown transponder history: One never knows where a transponder was used, how it has been charged or what hardships it has endured, possibly resulting in a poor perception of AMB quality if the transponder does not work correctly.
    • Access to technological improvements: Our transponders may look the same, but we are constantly working to improve our products, and our new transponders are better than old ones.
    Even though worldwide a very small percentage of transponders are re-registered, we understand that this might have caused some dismay among those that obtained a used transponder recently. In an effort to address your concerns, AMB is investigating a method of modifying MyLaps.com by which transponders can be re-registered for a fee, while addressing some of the drawbacks of the previous method. In the mean time, the following applies:
    • One can still benefit from all the advantages of MyLaps.com with a used transponder. The only drawback is that it is not under the new owner’s name, and other personal data.
    • If you have a used transponder, trade it in. We are offering up to 40% off for a new one with the warranty and your own account on MyLaps.com.
    • If you are selling your race car, but will get another one, keep the transponder, it is yours after all.
    • - If you sell your race car with the transponder, give the new owner your login information.
    • If you buy a race car with a transponder, get the previous owner’s login information or benefit from the trade-in offered.
    • We realize that in special cases a more tailored solution is warranted so feel free to contact an AMB representative by phone to discuss your situation.
    Call us today to trade in your old transponder for a new one. Until the end of 2008, all orders placed through our webshop will be shipped free. Logon today to take advantage of this offer and set up your own account on MyLaps.com.
    We appreciate your loyalty and all of your suggestions and look forward to providing your MyLaps.com results for years to come.
    Rob Zatz
    EP Mazda RX7
    FF Lola T540

Quote Originally Posted by supersmile View Post
    Looking to buy a used transponder?

AMB i.t. has been listening to your comments about the recent changes to MyLaps.com.
    MyLaps.com is a service that AMB offers to racers and time keepers who use our equipment, including the personal transponders. The number of daily page views keeps doubling each year, along with its registered members and archived data. As a consequence of this growth AMB, over the years, has invested heavily into additional servers, software engines and support, to ensure a reliable online service for its customers.
    For instance, recently the site’s entire user-interface was rewritten to retain the rapid response time it was known for and continue to deliver accurate results. Comments from thousands of users were cataloged, analyzed, and prioritized for inclusion in the new version. This resulted in the inclusion of more advanced search algorithms and the possibility to filter results for country and sports, to name a few improvements.
    As a result of the success of MyLaps.com, the costs of maintaining it have risen dramatically. However, AMB is committed to continue offering its MyLaps.com site as a free service to all original owners of a personal transponder for as long as they use it.

Recently AMB has decided to make the process of re-registering a personal transponder from its original owner to buyer of a used transponder more difficult. Reasons for this decision are the following:
    • Complaints of previous owners: They no longer had access to their data after re-registration
    • Inability to erase old results: Owners of used transponders have been disappointed to find out that with the current structure of MyLaps.com it is impossible to erase the old race results from the period before they owned the transponder.
    • Unknown transponder history: One never knows where a transponder was used, how it has been charged or what hardships it has endured, possibly resulting in a poor perception of AMB quality if the transponder does not work correctly.
    • Access to technological improvements: Our transponders may look the same, but we are constantly working to improve our products, and our new transponders are better than old ones.
    Even though worldwide a very small percentage of transponders are re-registered, we understand that this might have caused some dismay among those that obtained a used transponder recently. In an effort to address your concerns, AMB is investigating a method of modifying MyLaps.com by which transponders can be re-registered for a fee, while addressing some of the drawbacks of the previous method. In the mean time, the following applies:
    • One can still benefit from all the advantages of MyLaps.com with a used transponder. The only drawback is that it is not under the new owner’s name, and other personal data.
    • If you have a used transponder, trade it in. We are offering up to 40% off for a new one with the warranty and your own account on MyLaps.com.
    • If you are selling your race car, but will get another one, keep the transponder, it is yours after all.
    • - If you sell your race car with the transponder, give the new owner your login information.
    • If you buy a race car with a transponder, get the previous owner’s login information or benefit from the trade-in offered.
    • We realize that in special cases a more tailored solution is warranted so feel free to contact an AMB representative by phone to discuss your situation.
    Call us today to trade in your old transponder for a new one. Until the end of 2008, all orders placed through our webshop will be shipped free. Logon today to take advantage of this offer and set up your own account on MyLaps.com.
    We appreciate your loyalty and all of your suggestions and look forward to providing your MyLaps.com results for years to come.
    So the site was recently completely redone at great cost?
    Well, for me, I have found the new configuration does not work nearly as well.
    When I USED to do a search for a racer name or track name, I would get what I needed.
    NOW, when I put in "sebring" or "homestead" the search results come back with now matches.
    This is regardless of whether or not I'm logged in.
    Deltona, FL
    Black 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi ITB
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67003220&hl=en

"The number of daily page views keeps doubling each year"

Quote Originally Posted by mattbatson4570 View Post
    ......NOW, when I put in "sebring" or "homestead" the search results come back with no matches.
    This is regardless of whether or not I'm logged in.
    Problem solved.

jim

Jim Hardesty
    75 ITC Diablo Verde Civic
    2009 WOR Road Race Chair

How embarrassing... their prime marketing strategy is based on securing a monopoly... they succeed... and now they find they're unprepared for the consequences of their success.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I'm astute enough to recognize "We got you by the balls, sahib, and we know it".

If it's so damned expensive, charge a subscription for it. Holding our transponders for a ransom on the thing is the act of a little, little person.
    Doug "Lefty" Franklin
    NutDriver Racing
    ITA/IT7 RX-7 and SPU Baby Grand
    Flagging & Communication
    SEDiv/AtlRegion