Thread: Mylaps Registration

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Mylaps Registration

Has anyone else run into this?

I just bought a new (to me) car that has a hardwired transponder. I asked the previous owner to unregister with Mylaps so I could register the number in my name.

He was told that only the original owner could register it, but the new owner, me, could return it and get a 40% discount on a new transponder.

So I've bought a perfectly good transponder but can only register with my laps if I send them my perfectly functional transponder and $200 so they can send me a different perfectly functional transponder? Talk about Bull@#$t!

Additionally, this is the 3rd "used" transponder I've bought and the first time I've run into this.

Did the previous owner get bad information or has my laps/AMB decided now that they've kinda cornered the market they can stick it to the customers?

Rory

you just need the previous owner or whoever it is currently registered to, to release it from mylaps.com then you can go in and register it

at least thats how I have done it in the past (probably 9 months ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
    you just need the previous owner or whoever it is currently registered to, to release it from mylaps.com then you can go in and register it
    +1.

The owner is either uninformed, or wants to be able to retain access to prior timing info. There's nothing you can do to FORCE him to release it if he wants to retain it, but if he's simply uninformed you can ask nicely...

Or, you can threaten to drive extremely poorly, so that all crappy laps get "credited" to him...

to add to what Greg said

if the previous owner wants to still be able to view their times for future reference, all they have to do is search by your name because the actual data cannot be erased(will still show their name on those times) for example mine shows the previous owner ran the ARRC in 05 (to bad it shows a DNF so I can't brag )

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro View Post

at least thats how I have done it in the past (probably 9 months ago)
    They have changed their policy; I got this response from mylaps this morning:

Robert,

Personal Transponders can only be registered one time by the original owner, and cannot be changed or transferred. However, we can offer you 40% off the purchase of a brand new transponder by trading in your used one.

Thank you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Name withheld since I don't have permission to quote

Pity, since our MR2 came with a transponder in the previous owner's name.
    Rob Zatz
    EP Mazda RX7
    FF Lola T540

Yea Rob. I should have stated in my post that the previous owner sent me a copy of the email he received. I knew he was not trying to put anything over on me. I had hoped that he asked the wrong person or was getting an answer to a different question.

As stated earlier, the new policy is BULL@#$%!!!!!

WOW !!! that is just pathetic.

like they aren't already making enough money from them. They must have finally realized that those transponders are as good as property, since after a few years you can typically sell them for more than you paid for them.

That is wholly unacceptable. Yet, there is nothing I can think of to do about it.

With the regions all in bed with this company, requiring us to purchase them in order to race, we are completely subject to their requirements, whether we wish to or not. We have no recourse that I can think of at this moment.

I'm stunned.